The Student Room Group

Maths A level

I’m predicted a grade 6 in maths and I probably won’t get any higher. Do u think it’s a good idea to do A level maths as I’d like to do finance and accounting or schools I stick to business studies and economics
Definitely a good idea to sign up for it - you can always switch after you get your final results and it's good to be hopeful!
ask your schools careers adviser
Depends whether your challenges in gcse maths are on the topics which are essential for a level or not.
Reply 4
If you intend to go into Finance and Accounting then definitely take it. Why won't you get any higher than a 6, though? surely you have nearly a year to improve? I would assume that Finance degrees either require or have a strong preference for maths, so don't try to escape it. Work hard at your GCSE and try to improve your grade. At the end of the day Finance is (obviously) going to be filled with a lot of maths, and I think if you don't pick it now then you'll regret it later down the line. Just work at A Level and you'll be able to cope (especially with a lot of the AS stuff which are just high-end GCSE topics).
I wanted to take A level Maths in year 11 but I was predicted 6's all year round and I never thought I'd get better. Come results day and I got an 8. Don't limit yourself to a grade, you can always do better!! Who knows... you could get a 9

Quick Reply

Latest