The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'll join the crowd and say that your selection is fine, though a science subject will make that look amazing

plus, after a while of doing other subjects you start to miss science
Reply 21
Do history instead it is more interested and highly respected in the Economics world like LSE.
Reply 22
Yes this selction seems fine, and it really isn't all that random. I did 3 genuinely random A-levels, Biology (a science) History (a humanity) and French (a language) which was fine because I enjoyed them all. If you enjoy Classical civ. you should do it- you already have 3 other highly "respected" A-levels, :smile:
Reply 23
No offence but I think classics looks pretty daft myself. History in there, or another traditional subject instead of it would look much better, in my opinion. I could only imagine the general consensus on Classical Civilizations being "What, you're not good enough to study history in general, you need to study a smaller time frame?". What would you rather know, history or classical civilizations? That's like saying would you rather know Mathematics or how to divide. I'll probably get flamed for this, but whatever, it doesn't matter too much, you took 3 other solid subjects and you're allowed one so-called "mickey mouse".
Shask
No offence but I think classics looks pretty daft myself. History in there, or another traditional subject instead of it would look much better, in my opinion. I could only imagine the general consensus on Classical Civilizations being "What, you're not good enough to study history in general, you need to study a smaller time frame?". What would you rather know, history or classical civilizations? That's like saying would you rather know Mathematics or how to divide. I'll probably get flamed for this, but whatever, it doesn't matter too much, you took 3 other solid subjects and you're allowed one so-called "mickey mouse".

Universities aren't stupid like you.

Classical Civilizations is not soft at all, many of the people who do it end up at Oxbridge.
Reply 25
The West Wing
Universities aren't stupid like you.

Classical Civilizations is not soft at all, many of the people who do it end up at Oxbridge.

Told you I'd get flamed for it :rolleyes:
Shask

Well, yes, because it's not a 'soft subject' like you said.
Reply 27
nuttygirl
Well, yes, because it's not a 'soft subject' like you said.

Thanks for the neg rep, good to know people on the A-Levels boards I'm going to be frequenting for the next 2 years are appreciative of opinions. :rolleyes:

I just said it the way I see it.
Reply 28
BenLL
I think Classical civilization is considered a bit 'soft' so I would not do it. History would be the best, shows you can analyse as well as writing essays. History is also hard so would impress universities as well as showing you have skills.

Saying that though my entire portfolio of A levels are "soft" subjects and I got into manchester, warwick and bristol ...but then that was interview based.

cambridge have a blacklist you can look at (all of my subjects are on there apart from eng lit...oh well =D)
Reply 29
Shask

lol I must say though you looking back on my further comments it appears taht Classic Civiliation is just as highly regarded as Histiry :s

Even the tightest college in the land agree's (CAMBRIDGE Trinity College):

LIST A2
Generally Suitable Arts A-levels
Art History
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Economics
English Literature
French
Geography
German
Greek
History
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Latin
Music
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Russian
Spanish
Welsh

LIST B
Limited Suitability
Archaeology (Arch & Anth)
Art & Design (Architecture/History of Art)
Business Studies (Economics)
Design & Technology (Architecture)
Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
Electronics (Engineering)
English Language (Arts)
Film Studies (Arts)
Government & Politics (Arts)
Law (Law)
Media Studies (Arts)
Psychology (Arts)
Sociology (Arts)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't bother putting the black list on aswell but you can see the highly regarded and the less preferred :wink:

Hope that helps

Grant :biggrin:
Reply 30
Shask

As far as I'm aware classics is more arts based and you study people like sophocles and artistophanes...its not learning facts and figures it's deciphering and discussing life in the early great civilizations of the classical world 0_o

....Oh yeah I read the blurb.

Meh I wanted to take classics but i screwed up my A level choices twice in two consecutive years....ho hum.
Shask
Thanks for the neg rep, good to know people on the A-Levels boards I'm going to be frequenting for the next 2 years are appreciative of opinions. :rolleyes:

I just said it the way I see it.

I didn't neg you mate, I don't gave out neg :smile:
But thanks for the neutralneg anyways
No not at all. I think universities would find your choice of A-Levels interesting.

I originally wanted to do Accounting, Mathematics, Economics and Business Studies, but my college advised me to drop at least 2 of them. So I stuck with Mathematics and Economics, and chosen Politics and Chemistry on top of the two.

In retrospect, I thought I made a very good decision: I personally found later on that Accounting and Business weren't too strong a subject.
Reply 33
Meh, I would reply but I'll probably just get more flame from people who are studying classics at university or something and want to defend themselves. I need out of the red gems!
I took quite a random selection, it's good because at the end of the first year you're not pushed towards a certain direction, you have lots of options! There were almost no options closed to me.
Reply 35
my whole a level choices were random and srpoted withing 10 mins

(i changed colleges you seee)

But yeah i had 10 mins to choose.. well less than that say about 3 mins lol
I randomly chose
ICT
Sociology
Media AS
English Lit

And thank God, because of my random choices, i now want to study ICT @ Uni in 2009
Reply 36
Well I reckon I'll get an A or A* in history GCSE so I don't really think anybody can say I'm taking classical civ because I can't hack it in history.

In classics you just need to remember stuff though don't you? it's no sources like in history is it? apart from that, it's the same sort of thing, right?
Reply 37
I think doing one science/arts subject is a good idea, it will make you a more well rounded applicant when you apply for uni, and will provide you with a wider range of skills. For example the following combos would be good :

Maths Chem Phys History
or
History English French Chem
Reply 38
thanks for the responses everyone.
Reply 39
like the thread starter i chosse Classics as my "random subject" (along with the 3 sciences) and it was definetly a good idea as i really enjoyed it. all the uni's seemed to appreciate it as they all asked about it enthusiastically at interviews (half of one of my cambridge interviews was spent discussing it!).

And to the idiot who claimed Class Civ is a "soft subject", you are talking out of your arse, it's well respected and a great choice. :smile:

Latest