The Student Room Group

hardest subject vs hardest subject to study

okay, slightly random question. but for me the hardest subject is physics, i don't have a particularly scientific or mathematical brain, i love words, creative thinking, arguments and essays. so for me physics is essentially hell! however, i find it relatively easy to revise, i've made flashcards and i go through them a LOT, and do practice questions, this has got me working at around a grade 7/8, quite good for my worst subject.

however, my least favourite study to revise is english lit, which happens to be my favourite (and also my best) subject. i think i dislike revising it so much because for maths and science i know exactly what i need to know, and i know my weaker points to focus. but english lit i just have no revision technique, i just plan essays and analyse quotes.

anyway, tell me, do you feel similar, your favourite subject isn't necessarily your favourite to revise. also pls leave english lit revision tips
Original post by evajess13
okay, slightly random question. but for me the hardest subject is physics, i don't have a particularly scientific or mathematical brain, i love words, creative thinking, arguments and essays. so for me physics is essentially hell! however, i find it relatively easy to revise, i've made flashcards and i go through them a LOT, and do practice questions, this has got me working at around a grade 7/8, quite good for my worst subject.

however, my least favourite study to revise is english lit, which happens to be my favourite (and also my best) subject. i think i dislike revising it so much because for maths and science i know exactly what i need to know, and i know my weaker points to focus. but english lit i just have no revision technique, i just plan essays and analyse quotes.

anyway, tell me, do you feel similar, your favourite subject isn't necessarily your favourite to revise. also pls leave english lit revision tips

I found Chemistry hardest overall, but English Lang for me was always the hardest to revise for. It doesn't matter now though because I don't do either :smile:
Back in GCSEs I remember absolutely hating revising for Biology. Like it was easy in the exam, since there was no logical thinking required, but revising for it was a major fkn pain. Now that I'm taking A-Levels, gotta say that Maths is the one I find least painful to revise (even though it's the subject I hate the most) and Chemistry is the worst to revise for because we have to memorise so much bs :colonhash: It's probably because with subjects like Maths, I can just do a random question at random intervals of the day as revision whereas Chem I actually have to sit my ass down for at least a good 2hrs going over content (which my procrastinating ass doesn't have the patience for).

As for Eng Lit tips... Can't say I have many seeing as I lowkey never revised Eng Lit (yes, a suicidal move on my part). I'd say not to worry too much about memorising entire quotes but rather memorising specific words used which you can break down and analyse. Teachers seem to prefer it when you insert small quoted words into your essay rather than writing out the whole quote. Good luck in your exams :smile:
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I found Chemistry hardest overall, but English Lang for me was always the hardest to revise for. It doesn't matter now though because I don't do either :smile:

I don't think anyone actually revised for English Lang? I mean there isn't really anything to revise?
Found the content for A Level Chemistry hard and also hard to revise for. So glad I dropped it. So much memorisation of stuff I had no interest in.
Original post by GeT_iN_SHinJI
I don't think anyone actually revised for English Lang? I mean there isn't really anything to revise?

I didn't revise either. At GCSE, it's essentially an unseen English Lit paper so your skills from there are helpful in Lang. Obviously, I checked past exam papers to see what sort of stuff comes up, but that's it.
Reply 6

I'm with you on this. English Lit and Eng Lang were my favourite GCSEs and yet I found it difficult to revise for them, so I didn't...and somehow came out with full marks in both subjects in all individual exams and coursework. I found English revision unhelpful, but it depends on the person and I am not recommending anyone do what I did. I have no revision tips for English, lmao.

Physics, Chem and French were my least favourite subjects, yet, as you say, more interesting to revise for. I just think certain subjects are more conducive to traditional revision than others, like English v Maths, which is why I think there can be disparities between favourite subjects and favourite subjects to revise for.
Original post by Uni_student3132
I didn't revise either. At GCSE, it's essentially an unseen English Lit paper so your skills from there are helpful in Lang. Obviously, I checked past exam papers to see what sort of stuff comes up, but that's it.

Yea I was naturally pretty good at Eng Lit (if I say so myself) so the first 4 questions of the Lang paper were pretty easy. The fifth was a roll of the dice. If you got a *****y question then it was gg. I remember getting a horrible question on one of my mocks about celebrities or some shi and absolutely bombing the last question cause I had absolutely no knowledge of pop culture (this was the non-fiction paper)

Hi, my favourite subject would be maths, I am quite a straight-forward, sort of logical thinking person, so I enjoy maths oriented/logic oriented subjects. Although, I would say, for revision, english would be the hardest to revise, because I thrive on a fixed, forward plan, but english is a subject that is really broad and complex in terms of exams and revision. RS is quite dependent on memorisation, so there can be a few challenges there too.
English lit tips: I have always found that summarising all my quotes and points (including my research and notes) onto one A4 page, and nothing more, helps. It lets me have all my thoughts in one place. It's super helpful that, when you are memorising quotes, you memorise effective points to go with it - this gives a better idea on how to structure your essay and gives you room to explore. Hope thats helps!
Reply 9

Heya!
It's completely normal to have a subject that you enjoy studying but find challenging to revise :smile: If it helps, check out this useful article (linked) about how to revise for english literature!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest