The Student Room Group

A Level Law or Spanish

Okay so I'm two weeks into Year 12 and by next week I need to drop one of my A Levels as my sixth form doesn't allow us to do 4 but I'm really stuck on what to pick.
My other 2 a levels are maths and physics because I think I want to go into engineering and I know the four are a very random combination, but I wanted to balance out my stem subjects with a humanities subject and to also leave another pathway open for myself in case I decided that engineering is not for me (I change my mind often on what I want to do so I feel like I need to give myself options).
I chose law because I'm personally quite interested in it, even if I never choose to go into it as a career, and I did a week work experience in court last year and I found it super interesting. I know A Level Law is very content heavy which I might struggle with as my memory is not the best but I genuinely would just like to learn more about it. However, I'm nervous that I wouldn't achieve a higher grade as I suck at time management in exams when it comes to essay subjects but I did get a 9 in GCSE history and a 8 in Lit.
Now, I chose Spanish because I just like learning languages it comes quite easily to me. I got almost full marks at GCSE so I feel like it's a subject I'd do well in and I really liked it at GCSE. However, I'm not a huge fan of the fact that we have to write about a book as I just don't like analysing quotes and stuff and I hated GCSE Literature for that reason. I also don't know how useful it would end up being as an A Level since I don't want to study languages at uni.

I'm just hoping that if anyone has done either A Level Spanish or A Level Law (or both) they could advise me on how they found them and if they recommend it. I'm so bad at making decisions and I'm desperate for advise so any help is welcome.
Original post by Aga19
Okay so I'm two weeks into Year 12 and by next week I need to drop one of my A Levels as my sixth form doesn't allow us to do 4 but I'm really stuck on what to pick.
My other 2 a levels are maths and physics because I think I want to go into engineering and I know the four are a very random combination, but I wanted to balance out my stem subjects with a humanities subject and to also leave another pathway open for myself in case I decided that engineering is not for me (I change my mind often on what I want to do so I feel like I need to give myself options).
I chose law because I'm personally quite interested in it, even if I never choose to go into it as a career, and I did a week work experience in court last year and I found it super interesting. I know A Level Law is very content heavy which I might struggle with as my memory is not the best but I genuinely would just like to learn more about it. However, I'm nervous that I wouldn't achieve a higher grade as I suck at time management in exams when it comes to essay subjects but I did get a 9 in GCSE history and a 8 in Lit.
Now, I chose Spanish because I just like learning languages it comes quite easily to me. I got almost full marks at GCSE so I feel like it's a subject I'd do well in and I really liked it at GCSE. However, I'm not a huge fan of the fact that we have to write about a book as I just don't like analysing quotes and stuff and I hated GCSE Literature for that reason. I also don't know how useful it would end up being as an A Level since I don't want to study languages at uni.

I'm just hoping that if anyone has done either A Level Spanish or A Level Law (or both) they could advise me on how they found them and if they recommend it. I'm so bad at making decisions and I'm desperate for advise so any help is welcome.

Hi there! I’m in Y13 and doing Spanish A Level (AQA) & it’s my fav subject by far (my others are CS (AQA), Maths (Edexcel) and FM (Edexcel)) as learning languages is smth that really interests me & I’ve done Spanish for 7 years now (wow that’s long! I want to get to C1/C2 one day; currently at B2 roughly)

& abt the texts, I’m writing essays abt Volver (film by Almodóvar) and La Casa de Bernarda Alba (play by Lorca) I found that writing an AL Spanish essay was v different from writing a GCSE Eng Lit essay (hated eng lit too btw) in the following ways:
1. Spanish essays are only 300-450 words long & it’s cute, really, that the language department insist that they’re “essays” (you get 1 hr to write this in the exam btw) & you don’t even need to write an intro
2. In Spanish, 1/2 of the marks available (20 out of 40 marks) is for content and the other 1/2 is for language, meaning that the ideas presented are less complex than the ones in Eng Lit GCSE. However, the examiners are really fussy abt any errors made in your language & if you have any “major errors” (verb ending error), then you’re only able to get 13/20 marks for language (as it ‘changes the meaning of the sentence a lot’) & “minor error” (eg getting masc/fem wrong at the end of adjectives etc) allows you to get maybe 17-18/20
3. You’re not analysing quotes, per sé, (like in Eng Lit) you’re more referencing scenes (in my texts & you can paraphrase) & the significance of that instead of saying smth like ‘the writer used [word] which has connotations of [some bs] which suggests that [more bs] there is no analysis of the language used/word choice
4. You’d have to try and shove in some subjunctive phrases at some point so that you’ll reach the higher language marks, which is just a feature of language exams & seems a little unnatural to me but the examiners want some way to know that you can use more complex verb tenses

tl;dr: There is no analysis of word choice in Spanish; you can use paraphrasing as references for a short essay, which you’ll have to be careful not to make verb errors in, whilst demonstrating that you can use subjunctive phrasing

Personally, I’d say go for Law bc it seems like you’re much more interested in that & that’s a much more fun way of doing A Levels than doing smth that you’re good at, but you might not enjoy as much & I know of many people who’ve diverted from physics/engineering into law later in life so that’s a pretty good option as a backup!

& have a chat w your language teachers abt which texts/films/plays you’re going to be studying & on the AQA website there have been some sample essays w examiner comments at the bottom, if you want to see some essays that have been written and marked before

All the best w your A Levels & hope this helps you to make your choice! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me :smile:
Original post by Aga19

Out of the 2 id go for spanish.
A language is always useful, whatever career area you end up going into. Especially a language like spanish that is spoken in a lot of countries.
Both law and spanish are different to your other 2 subjects. But law is the more random of the 2 if you get me.

Quick Reply

Latest