The Student Room Group

is this a good backup plan?

if i dont get into university, im thinking of joining the army or royal airforce and know exactly which job i'd do. what do you think?
Original post by lewis6969
if i dont get into university, im thinking of joining the army or royal airforce and know exactly which job i'd do. what do you think?

Go to open days, see which course is for you. If you really think you can't get in look for foundation year or unis that require low grades.
it better if you take a gap year, improve your grades. however if you think army if for you then you should go ahead. The army is not easy I have done cadets and have experienced it, army is even at the next level.
Reply 2
Original post by unknown0111
Go to open days, see which course is for you. If you really think you can't get in look for foundation year or unis that require low grades.
it better if you take a gap year, improve your grades. however if you think army if for you then you should go ahead. The army is not easy I have done cadets and have experienced it, army is even at the next level.

well im fully aware it will suck really badly but its a chance to serve my country which is always nice. i applied for 3 foundation year degrees and 2 other degrees that i think i have a decent shot at getting an offer. grades arent the issue, i lack the correct qualifications so theres nothing i can do now but i have no regrets
well im fully aware it will suck really badly but its a chance to serve my country which is always nice. i applied for 3 foundation year degrees and 2 other degrees that i think i have a decent shot at getting an offer. grades arent the issue, i lack the correct qualifications so theres nothing i can do now but i have no regrets

what subjects are you doing and which course are you interested in?
Reply 4
what subjects are you doing and which course are you interested in?

level 3 BTEC IT

i want to study linguistics or languages but lack any social science/humanities/language qualifications. i have more than enough ucas points though so we will see
level 3 BTEC IT

i want to study linguistics or languages but lack any social science/humanities/language qualifications. i have more than enough ucas points though so we will see

If you can speak an additional language that is great thing to put in your PS.
Reply 6
If you can speak an additional language that is great thing to put in your PS.

if i could speak another language, i dont think id have any issues getting into uni lol

you could always go to collage first and then go into the army.
Reply 8
Original post by Luciamay08
you could always go to collage first and then go into the army.

ive been to college, i mean uni
ive been to college, i mean uni

fair enough , how old are u then?
Reply 10
Original post by Luciamay08
fair enough , how old are u then?

just turned 20
Reply 11

If you look on the Armed Forces subforum, you'll see this advice (and I'm ex-RAF/former recruiter): unless you are applying for a military role that is age-critical, always try to get the highest qualifications possible, so you have an alternative for another career in case joining the Forces doesn't work out. It also gives you more time to work on activities that give you leadership potential.

Check the medical requirements and make sure your fitness is up to standard before you apply to the Forces.

It can take several months to get through selection for the Forces, so if you go to uni, look carefully at the the timing for submitting an application. If you don't go the uni route and are currently working, stick with your job until you know you are through the process. You don't spend that many actual days attending selection events and I've seen people quit work and be kicking their heels for long periods, only to fail selection and be stuck without a fallback.

Quick Reply

Latest