The Student Room Group

How many Sixth Forms should I go for?

Hey hey, I'm planning to apply to 6 schools: Westminster School, Brighton College, Sevenoaks, and probably Wellington, Oundle, or D'Overbroeck's, though I don't know the latter two as well. Seeing other applicants on tsr, I've mostly seen people who have applied to or are applying to 4 or fewer schools, so maybe I'm overdoing it?

Considering that I am an international applicant who
a) will have a more difficult time getting into my desired schools since there are fewer international places and therefore more vigorous competition, and more importantly,
b) have to arrange invigilation for entrance exam tests at my local British Council at a fee for each school

For each of the aforementioned schools apart from Wellington, I am required to sit 4 separate papers for each of my A Level subjects or the equivalent for Sevenoaks, the IB school. That's 20 papers altogether. Given that I am doing my GCSEs, I'll most definitely still have a lot of homework simultaneously, and my extracurricular activities as well. Not sure if I'm able to juggle that.

Since I am an international applicant with no classmates who are also going through this process to compare and assess, I'm not sure where I stand. I don't want to apply to all 6 schools, getting into them and wasting the time and energy spent researching and contacting all of them, the fees and procedures involved and also affecting my school life/academics. Yet, I'm also afraid of being too confident by only applying to my top picks, which are all pretty prestigious, and not getting into any and them.

Here are some of my achievements/stats in the past year:

Finals in Cambridge international young debaters' competition
Yale MUN 'Best Delegate' in one of the committees in Janurary
Other 'best delegates' in lesser-known local MUN conferences this October and April
A Chair/organizer in a local school MUN conference in February, and will be in another one soon
BPO Silver
BMO Bronze
Student Council Secretary
Volleyball team but it's the least competitive sport in my school and I'm not that good
ABRSM Classical Guitar Grade 5
An internal poetry competition prize at my school
English Ambassador in Year 9 (a school thing)
Oratory speech competition this March, no prize
Group Discussion competition in Year 9, same as above

I like to write prose and poetry, but I don't have any finished or fantastic pieces (master procrastinator) I also like to play chess but mainly with friends or on chess.com, I haven't entered any competitions or anything like that.

I'm pretty passionate about global affairs, politics, and literature that has societal commentary but my IGCSEs are science-heavy. I guess I'm alright at the sciences as well, and I don't mind doing it for A Levels as a supplementary subject to my main ones. Because of my indecisiveness, I am pretty keen on applying to Sevenoaks and Wellington, which both offer an IB curriculum.

I've sidetracked a little haha but my main question is still about the number of Sixth forms I should apply to because the deadlines are soon. Though if you have had a similar experience and have any advice to give about A Level subject choices/combos, IB vs A Level, applying as an international applicant, or just Sixth Form, in general, please lmk!
Reply 1
I only applied to two schools, simply because I am London-based pupil who only was interested in one local school but had the semi-satisfying backup of my current school. It all depends on situation.

Judging by the fact that you're an international student, I'm guessing that your 'backups', if it weren't for the large amounts of UK school applications, would not be in the UK so don't worry about others and do what you think is right. Also, what you're doing (applying to a ton of schools) really isn't that uncommon.

But like you said, more exams = more fees + stress. I'm guessing that your top choice is Westminster, so you should think about how you'll manage the amount of energy you put into each test and interview prior to it. Have a plan of which schools you're prioritising, and write them in order (although they may change as you take the exams/do interviews later). Good luck and let me know how it goes :smile:

P.S. I regret not applying to more schools, even though I wouldn't go to them, simply for the experience of interviews and exams. Remember that such opportunity won't come back!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by snowypaul
I only applied to two schools, simply because I am London-based pupil who only was interested in one local school but had the semi-satisfying backup of my current school. It all depends on situation.

Judging by the fact that you're an international student, I'm guessing that your 'backups', if it weren't for the large amounts of UK school applications, would not be in the UK so don't worry about others and do what you think is right. Also, what you're doing (applying to a ton of schools) really isn't that uncommon.

But like you said, more exams = more fees + stress. I'm guessing that your top choice is Westminster, so you should think about how you'll manage the amount of energy you put into each test and interview prior to it. Have a plan of which schools you're prioritising, and write them in order (although they may change as you take the exams/do interviews later). Good luck and let me know how it goes :smile:

P.S. I regret not applying to more schools, even though I wouldn't go to them, simply for the experience of interviews and exams. Remember that such opportunity won't come back!

My top choice is Westminster- I went to their Open Day this June, and admired the respect and dynamic between the pupils and the teachers, and also the well-spoken nature of the pupils who showed me around. It made me aspire to be a part of a community like that.

I do have a list of the schools based on how much I like them, but I will definitely make one based on priority as well, thanks for the idea! I would want to give my best to all of the exams and interviews, but maybe that isn't feasible, given the number of schools I am applying to.

My backup choices are also in the UK, but they are the less competitive ones. So, if all of the schools I apply to flop, I'll just stay at my current school, which I guess is the third backup option. (Hope this doesn't happen, which is why I have my UK backups heheh)

I currently attend a school with a 'traditional' British curriculum (we do IGCSEs and A Levels) in Europe, and even though it is considered a pretty great school by local standards, I'm looking for a change, to attend a Sixth Form that consists of students who take their work and education seriously. Having peers with aspirations/goals can help me propel my studies and motivate me, if that makes sense. In the school that I currently attend, sometimes I take a step back and ask why I am even bothering to make an effort in school, seeing the majority of pupils paying absolutely no effort in class, with a trend of pupils acting as if having bad grades/failing class is 'cool' and 'edgy'. Also, being an minority in a mostly-white orthodox country is not fun. I'm not saying prejudice does not exist in the UK, but it certainly will be a lot less.

So, getting into these schools is not just about the quality of education that I will receive, which is superb, but also an opportunity for me to be in an environment where I feel comfortable and confident.

I'll research more on my backup options and try to cut one or two out! Will keep u up to date on how things go and many thanks!!
Reply 3
Original post by tofuknight
Hey hey, I'm planning to apply to 6 schools: Westminster School, Brighton College, Sevenoaks, and probably Wellington, Oundle, or D'Overbroeck's, though I don't know the latter two as well. Seeing other applicants on tsr, I've mostly seen people who have applied to or are applying to 4 or fewer schools, so maybe I'm overdoing it?

Considering that I am an international applicant who
a) will have a more difficult time getting into my desired schools since there are fewer international places and therefore more vigorous competition, and more importantly,
b) have to arrange invigilation for entrance exam tests at my local British Council at a fee for each school

For each of the aforementioned schools apart from Wellington, I am required to sit 4 separate papers for each of my A Level subjects or the equivalent for Sevenoaks, the IB school. That's 20 papers altogether. Given that I am doing my GCSEs, I'll most definitely still have a lot of homework simultaneously, and my extracurricular activities as well. Not sure if I'm able to juggle that.

Since I am an international applicant with no classmates who are also going through this process to compare and assess, I'm not sure where I stand. I don't want to apply to all 6 schools, getting into them and wasting the time and energy spent researching and contacting all of them, the fees and procedures involved and also affecting my school life/academics. Yet, I'm also afraid of being too confident by only applying to my top picks, which are all pretty prestigious, and not getting into any and them.

Here are some of my achievements/stats in the past year:

Finals in Cambridge international young debaters' competition
Yale MUN 'Best Delegate' in one of the committees in Janurary
Other 'best delegates' in lesser-known local MUN conferences this October and April
A Chair/organizer in a local school MUN conference in February, and will be in another one soon
BPO Silver
BMO Bronze
Student Council Secretary
Volleyball team but it's the least competitive sport in my school and I'm not that good
ABRSM Classical Guitar Grade 5
An internal poetry competition prize at my school
English Ambassador in Year 9 (a school thing)
Oratory speech competition this March, no prize
Group Discussion competition in Year 9, same as above

I like to write prose and poetry, but I don't have any finished or fantastic pieces (master procrastinator) I also like to play chess but mainly with friends or on chess.com, I haven't entered any competitions or anything like that.

I'm pretty passionate about global affairs, politics, and literature that has societal commentary but my IGCSEs are science-heavy. I guess I'm alright at the sciences as well, and I don't mind doing it for A Levels as a supplementary subject to my main ones. Because of my indecisiveness, I am pretty keen on applying to Sevenoaks and Wellington, which both offer an IB curriculum.

I've sidetracked a little haha but my main question is still about the number of Sixth forms I should apply to because the deadlines are soon. Though if you have had a similar experience and have any advice to give about A Level subject choices/combos, IB vs A Level, applying as an international applicant, or just Sixth Form, in general, please lmk!

Hi, is the BPO in your past achievements British Psychology Olympiad? I will attend it in February for the first time, so I would like to gather as much past contestants' experiences as possible. Would you mind sharing your experience with me if you have attended it before? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending