The Student Room Group

oxford MLAT 2019

hello!

just wondering if anyone else did the oxford MLAT today - and if so, how do you think it went :smile:

- i did the french section and the language aptitude test :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by vyvsie
hello!

just wondering if anyone else did the oxford MLAT today - and if so, how do you think it went :smile:

- i did the french section and the language aptitude test :biggrin:

Hi!! I did the French section and I thought it went pretty well all things considered. I was expecting it to be much much worse because of the past papers having more ‘random’ vocab if you get what I mean. Fingers crossed it went ok though! What about you, how did you find it?
Just a quick question, what course have you applied to and how did you find the language aptitude test? I had to do one to start Spanish from scratch for A-level and I didn’t like it at all haha
Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by hxnnahxx
Hi!! I did the French section and I thought it went pretty well all things considered. I was expecting it to be much much worse because of the past papers having more ‘random’ vocab if you get what I mean. Fingers crossed it went ok though! What about you, how did you find it?
Just a quick question, what course have you applied to and how did you find the language aptitude test? I had to do one to start Spanish from scratch for A-level and I didn’t like it at all haha
Good luck with your application :smile:

yeah i thought it went well too!!! i am applying for french with beginner’s italian so i did the lat and i thought it was hard but not impossible - i didn’t finish though lmao, wbu?

thank you, you too!!
Reply 3
Hi! I did the french paper and the LAT (for German). French wasn’t too bad, a lot easier than I expected it to be compared to past papers. The LAT was quite though as I didn’t get to finish the last sentences but hopefully not too bad! Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by t.perera
Hi! I did the french paper and the LAT (for German). French wasn’t too bad, a lot easier than I expected it to be compared to past papers. The LAT was quite though as I didn’t get to finish the last sentences but hopefully not too bad! Good luck with your application :smile:

yes this is exactly with i thought!! some of the french past papers were horrible but this one was much better lmao.

same with me in terms of the lat - i couldn't finish the last few sentences but i'm happy with the rest of it :smile:

what college did you apply to? i applied to jesus :smile:
Reply 5
I’m glad it did!! I submitted an open application and I got assigned St. Anne :smile:

Original post by vyvsie
yes this is exactly with i thought!! some of the french past papers were horrible but this one was much better lmao.

same with me in terms of the lat - i couldn't finish the last few sentences but i'm happy with the rest of it :smile:

I did the Spanish section and the OLAT.
I did french and found it ok but def made some silly mistakes For the translation about her leaving the lights on in the room, I put “lampes” instead of “lumières” Also messed up the first question! Put compter à instead of compter sur. Oh well, it’s over now and it generally went alright. What about other people?
Original post by vyvsie

i applied to jesus too! i found the aptitude section quite difficult too, for some of them i could only translate certain words like “in the supermarket” and stuff like that.... let’s hope i get half a mark xd
Original post by Frenchgorl
I did french and found it ok but def made some silly mistakes For the translation about her leaving the lights on in the room, I put “lampes” instead of “lumières” Also messed up the first question! Put compter à instead of compter sur. Oh well, it’s over now and it generally went alright. What about other people?

with the lamp one i couldn’t think of what “on” was so i put éteindues knowing fully well it meant “off” but i needed to put something there xd
Original post by patricium
with the lamp one i couldn’t think of what “on” was so i put éteindues knowing fully well it meant “off” but i needed to put something there xd

I couldn’t think of the right way to phrase it so I changed it to ‘she realised she hadn’t turned the lights off’
I’m applying for History and French at Worcester - the French was a nice surprise after some of those hideous past papers!
I did the french MLAT and I found it okay. Easier than some of the practice papers. I think the translations into English went well but I don't think that I was very accurate in the into French translation sentences!
Does anyone know a general pass mark for the MLAT? How likely would someone be to get an interview if they didn't get a very high score?
Reply 14
i applied to jesus too! i found the aptitude section quite difficult too, for some of them i could only translate certain words like “in the supermarket” and stuff like that.... let’s hope i get half a mark xd

omg you applied to jesus!!! no way!!! i haven’t found anybody else who has :smile:

yesssss omfg me too lol!!! by the end i just guess ahahahahah like ‘i will go to the house from supermarket and the dog ate the cat and the house is in the garden’ like it was sO complicated lol
Original post by vyvsie
omg you applied to jesus!!! no way!!! i haven’t found anybody else who has :smile:

yesssss omfg me too lol!!! by the end i just guess ahahahahah like ‘i will go to the house from supermarket and the dog ate the cat and the house is in the garden’ like it was sO complicated lol

that's amazing because I don't anyone near who has applied to jesus as well! what im mostly worried about is that i only remember now that it had fixed word order... and im not sure i translated into it with the fixed word order. what i can remember is that i translated literally: the, cows, go, to, the, field (made up example) but im very worried that i wont get any marks whatsoever because i didnt pick up on it having fixed word order, 30 minutes wasn't enough for me to figure out the grammar. how do you feel it went?
Reply 16
that's amazing because I don't anyone near who has applied to jesus as well! what im mostly worried about is that i only remember now that it had fixed word order... and im not sure i translated into it with the fixed word order. what i can remember is that i translated literally: the, cows, go, to, the, field (made up example) but im very worried that i wont get any marks whatsoever because i didnt pick up on it having fixed word order, 30 minutes wasn't enough for me to figure out the grammar. how do you feel it went?

omg you have no idea how much i relate to this!!!! i came out of the lat thinking it went okay, (i didn't finish the last few questions, but i was confident with what i had put for the others) until i remembered about the word order too!! i really didn't pay attention to it because all the past papers i did had a word order that wasn't fixed, so although i knew it had fixed word order i sorta forgot about it loooool.

it would be so nice if we both get an interview!! :smile:
Original post by vyvsie
omg you have no idea how much i relate to this!!!! i came out of the lat thinking it went okay, (i didn't finish the last few questions, but i was confident with what i had put for the others) until i remembered about the word order too!! i really didn't pay attention to it because all the past papers i did had a word order that wasn't fixed, so although i knew it had fixed word order i sorta forgot about it loooool.

it would be so nice if we both get an interview!! :smile:

that's exactly how i feel haha, none of the past papers i did had a fixed word order as you said so i just naturally came about to translate directly haha,
ngl im hoping deep down that a lot of people did that because idk how to feel, sometimes i feel as though i did enough, other times i feel like i ruined it by doing it literally, i hope that they're lenient with their marking!
btw do you know how we get our results? because i'm not tech smart at all, ive checked the website but i dont understand how the process works, and my school is no help lol
Reply 18
that's exactly how i feel haha, none of the past papers i did had a fixed word order as you said so i just naturally came about to translate directly haha,
ngl im hoping deep down that a lot of people did that because idk how to feel, sometimes i feel as though i did enough, other times i feel like i ruined it by doing it literally, i hope that they're lenient with their marking!
btw do you know how we get our results? because i'm not tech smart at all, ive checked the website but i dont understand how the process works, and my school is no help lol

yuhhhhh lmao just riding on hope at this point... tbh i feel like a lot of people will have done that though! also i’m pretty sure the word order was just the same as english lol

i think we get our results after the results of our application are released; you can request feedback (whether accepted or rejected) and then they tell you what you got :smile:
Original post by vyvsie
yuhhhhh lmao just riding on hope at this point... tbh i feel like a lot of people will have done that though! also i’m pretty sure the word order was just the same as english lol

i think we get our results after the results of our application are released; you can request feedback (whether accepted or rejected) and then they tell you what you got :smile:

oh thanks! are we informed also whether we are shortlisted or not? or just kept in the dark and assumed to be not good enough for a reply lol?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending