The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

x.beth.x
Anyone got any tips for AR?

I've started looking at some questions on all the sections and this definitely seems to be my weakest point at the moment. DA and VR are ok and quantitive I just kept making silly mistakes on. But AR I'm not sure how to spot the pattern tbh. Has anyone got any step by step advice?

My advice to you would be to go through the practice questions on the website or book and then to make a list of the types of patterns that you tend to see. Then use this list to try and spot the patterns in the practice problems again until you get quicker at it. This is something that is not easy for everyone, so having a technique with which to tackle the problems is always helpful.
Got my test tomorrow and am really really really nervous, mainly because of timing. I tend to get good practice scores untimed, but when I have short periods of time for each section I seem to struggle.

The timings seem insanely short to me . . .but maybe that's just me :s-smilie:

Good luck to everyone doing it soon.

And to people who've taken it already, did the timings play a big part in the overall outcome?

Cheers.
Reply 402
richardharrold
Got my test tomorrow and am really really really nervous, mainly because of timing. I tend to get good practice scores untimed, but when I have short periods of time for each section I seem to struggle.

The timings seem insanely short to me . . .but maybe that's just me :s-smilie:

Good luck to everyone doing it soon.

And to people who've taken it already, did the timings play a big part in the overall outcome?

Cheers.

well find out tomorrow when we get out results!!

what time is yours?

Enjoy yourself.

i really just hope that they dont put any stupidly long passages like in the Full practice test, nd no stupidly long quantitive resoning inforation with like lots of words!!

people whov done this were the passeges longer, shorter or similar in length as the ones in the official UKCAT Full Practise test???
Lol, true true - I don't think I'll be able to look at my results.

My test's at 12.15 . .. yours?

I've just done some practices on http://www.how2become.co.uk/viewProduct.php?product_name=Verbal_Reasoning_Tests, which were really good (got the link from another thread on here).

They're shorter than the real ones but good practice for the quick thinking side of things.

It's just the short time limits that are worrying me really, and panicing - I don't like to panic in tests, lol.
Mine's at 12.15, yours?

Ye, it's the time limits that are most worrying me tbh, I'm worried that I'll start panicing, lol.
Holsy
Wow! You did really well. I'm proud! Well done. :biggrin:

scaryhair
Okay, I'm starting to get down about just how rubbish I am at the abstract and quantitative sections. For the quantitative, I don't understand why I am so bad, I've always been quite good at Maths.
I'm really worried that I'm going to come out with a crap score that will really bring down my application and therefore my chances :frown:

I was feeling exactly like this the night before my exam, too - I could barely get through half of the QR section on the website before time ran out. You've just got to try and keep calm and make sure you nail the questions that you do do - if the data is really complicated, take a guess and move on.

In the actual exam I guessed the last 8 questions, and ended up with a score of 830, so I don't think you're meant to be able to finish it...

Isometrix
impressive score...share any tips?

Myoclonic Jerk
I stuck to the timings for the other three sections, so managed to just about complete them as the time was up.

Apart from doing the practice sections on the UKCAT site and familiarising yourself with the timings for each section, the only advice I can give is what worked for me:

Try to do a bit of reading over the weekend - maybe from a newspaper or something - and see how quickly you can pick up the key ideas from the article. You might be surprised how much easier it becomes once you've 'warmed up'.

Maybe do a couple of sudokus or something to get your head used to dealing with numbers and logic again: if you're anything like me, your brain will have slowed down considerably since the end of the school term!

I also found going through the answers to the abstract sample questions on the UKCAT website especially handy - it let me know what types of patterns and stuff they were working from.

Apart from that, try not to worry too much about it (easier said than done, I know) - as long as you're familiar with the format of the questions, I don't think there's too much more you can do about it. Get a good night's sleep on Sunday!

Good luck!

^ Hope that's helpful.
So . . . to anyone out there really . . . do you think the sections are designed to not be completed? Because I nearly always run out of time if I try to answer all of them properly, without guessing . . .
Reply 407
richardharrold
Lol, true true - I don't think I'll be able to look at my results.

My test's at 12.15 . .. yours?

I've just done some practices on http://www.how2become.co.uk/viewProduct.php?product_name=Verbal_Reasoning_Tests, which were really good (got the link from another thread on here).

They're shorter than the real ones but good practice for the quick thinking side of things.

It's just the short time limits that are worrying me really, and panicing - I don't like to panic in tests, lol.

mines at 9.00 :biggrin: nice and early wont have to think about anything else from when i get up :smile:
Sounds good, I'll have plenty of rest before mine hopefully, and try to relax and calm down.

Good Luck!!!

All the anxiety will be over by this time tomorrow . . . . can't wait!
Reply 409
Leaving to Do my UKCAT...... soon :biggrin:
Good luck!
Good luck guys, remember the UCKAT is not the be all and end all =).
good luck guys
Good luck guys, hope everything goes well for you :smile:
Reply 414
Go my results

Verbal : 520
Quantitive : 530
Abstract : 550
Descision : 530

On it is says the Average range is 500-700 and the average of the group i was compared to was 600.

so at least i got the average range!! :biggrin:
edit: sorry jjkkll poste dhis results before i asked :smile:

well done...ya happy an glad it out the way? wats ur average?

edit again: sorry worked out the average from your individual scores...
Well done jjkkll :smile:
How did you find it? How much of it did you answer and was there much that you had to guess?
Reply 417
well done jjkkll...now you can relax and not have to think about it anymore! how did you feel timings and things went? glad it's all out of the way?
good luck to anyone else who has theirs soon :smile:
jjkkll, are you so relieved or what? i know i am!
Good job jjkkll, bet you're glad it's out of the way! :smile:

...and damn, five days left till I sit it. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending