The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

* Dain Bramaged
^^^ i only got one. its not changed. it jus depends what you enter i think

Really? well I did it in the same place lol how random
the UKCAT: obv uni's consider it when choosing applicants, but what happens if some people apply without their UKCAT score known as they have not yet sat the exam?

also, ive not booked mine yet even, if i book, on average or as an estimate how many days will i hvae before i have to take it?

thanks guys
FFCrusader
Really? well I did it in the same place lol how random

I think Dain Bramaged means it depends on your answers to the questions - for example I think people who got one paragraph probably had answers all pointing to the same thing, whilst others with three, their answers may have suggested a number of different things?! That's my explanation of it anyway!

Great score by the way, well done :biggrin:
Reply 1403
scaryhair
I think Dain Bramaged means it depends on your answers to the questions - for example I think people who got one paragraph probably had answers all pointing to the same thing, whilst others with three, their answers may have suggested a number of different things?! That's my explanation of it anyway!

Can't have been, cos my one paragraph said that I balanced the rights of society with the law, so shows that I wasn't one sided. I can't think of any other explanation though, besides either having different situations, or the people that had three paragraphs, answered it in a different way..
Reply 1404
Btw, do any of you guys know anyone that's done the ukcat again this year and rather than getting a better score than previously, they done more poorly, cos since I'm taking a gap year, I'm gonna have to do the UKCAT again, and I have a feeling that next year it'll be even worse.
Faiza.
Can't have been, cos my one paragraph said that I balanced the rights of society with the law, so shows that I wasn't one sided. I can't think of any other explanation though, besides either having different situations, or the people that had three paragraphs, answered it in a different way..

I don't mean one-sided. I mean all the answers that you selected probably pointed towards the fact that you 'balanced the rights of society with law' or whatever, whereas others might have possibly conflicting or maybe just different answers that suggest a range of things rather than just a single thing. Get me?
Reply 1406
Hey all,

I'm gonna take a gap year and apply next year for Medicine. Obviously I'll be doing my UKCAT next year.
But I could also take it this year for practice. I can't remember where, and it may have been a forum, but I remember reading that taking the test for practice is frowned upon. Do universities know if you've taken it before and what score you got?
loyal
Hey all,

I'm gonna take a gap year and apply next year for Medicine. Obviously I'll be doing my UKCAT next year.
But I could also take it this year for practice. I can't remember where, and it may have been a forum, but I remember reading that taking the test for practice is frowned upon. Do universities know if you've taken it before and what score you got?

Have you considered deferred entry? That means if you don't succeed this year, you'll have two shots at it rather than one, and still get your gap year.
But I wouldn't waste the money to be honest. Several people who are reapplying got different results to last year, so it won't really show that much I don't think - I reckon some of it is just down to luck of the draw. Worry about that bridge when you come to it :smile:
Reply 1408
scaryhair
I don't mean one-sided. I mean all the answers that you selected probably pointed towards the fact that you 'balanced the rights of society with law' or whatever, whereas others might have possibly conflicting or maybe just different answers that suggest a range of things rather than just a single thing. Get me?

Oh. I understand now :yep:

I think 3 paragraphs sounds scary.
Reply 1409
scaryhair
Have you considered deferred entry? That means if you don't succeed this year, you'll have two shots at it rather than one, and still get your gap year.

Yeah i have. But i'm taking a gap year not for the fun of it (although i have no clue how i'm supposed to spice it up without paying a few grand to go to africa or something) but because i want to apply when i have all my grades. My grades aren't good enough to apply yet. I wanna retake some modules in chemistry.

But I wouldn't waste the money to be honest. Several people who are reapplying got different results to last year, so it won't really show that much I don't think - I reckon some of it is just down to luck of the draw. Worry about that bridge when you come to it :smile:

But taking the test would make you familiar with what it's like?
Or is it practically identical to the practice questions?

Thanks by the way!
loyal
Yeah i have. But i'm taking a gap year not for the fun of it (although i have no clue how i'm supposed to spice it up without paying a few grand to go to africa or something) but because i want to apply when i have all my grades. My grades aren't good enough to apply yet. I wanna retake some modules in chemistry.

But taking the test would make you familiar with what it's like?
Or is it practically identical to the practice questions?

Thanks by the way!

Ok, thats fair enough. Just making sure you did know about deferred entry, as some people seem unaware of it!

The practice questions are practically identical to the ones in the test, and I found the QR ones were easier in the test. As you don't have to do it until next year, I really wouldn't worry about it until, say a fortnight before the test - then you should start thinking about how to prepare.

And it's a pleasure :smile:
scaryhair

lol probably is the case

Thanks :biggrin: Not as good as your though :p: Well done on getting that :biggrin:
I've booked my test and there's 3 weeks to go.. but i haven't got a valid passport at the moment, it expired a few weeks ago! I have a birth certificate but I don't have any other forms of ID I can use that they ask for! And I haven't started applying to renew my passport yet so it won't get back within 3 weeks. The fallback solution says ask your school or college to attach your photograph to its headed notepaper (original, not a photocopy) and write across the photograph:

Sample ID
The form must be signed by a head teacher or a senior member of staff and bear the school stamp. You must also sign this document.

Has anyone done this before? When they say "attach" do they want a passport photo or any photo that the school have of me and to eletronically or physically attach it? I'm really panicking here, any help would be appreciated! Thanks
Reply 1413
sweetcheeks01
I've booked my test and there's 3 weeks to go.. but i haven't got a valid passport at the moment, it expired a few weeks ago! I have a birth certificate but I don't have any other forms of ID I can use that they ask for! And I haven't started applying to renew my passport yet so it won't get back within 3 weeks. The fallback solution says ask your school or college to attach your photograph to its headed notepaper (original, not a photocopy) and write across the photograph:

Sample ID
The form must be signed by a head teacher or a senior member of staff and bear the school stamp. You must also sign this document.

Has anyone done this before? When they say "attach" do they want a passport photo or any photo that the school have of me and to eletronically or physically attach it? I'm really panicking here, any help would be appreciated! Thanks

yes you can..I did. but first print of the "harry potter" sample :biggrin: they have attached. take a passport picture with yourself and MAKE SURE the school stamp is ON THE PICTURE. other than that just sign it yourself and get your headteacher to sign it. the school logo/emblem should also be the header.
I don't get what you mean by "harry potter sample" :s-smilie:

Does the picture have to be separate from the 'headed notepaper' then? And can't they just use my school photograph which is on their system anyway?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions.. I'm just in such a panic. thanks for your help!
Reply 1415
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pdf/UKCATsampleid.pdf

its on the website...make sure it looks exactly the same. i.e. picture (preferably not printed due to poor quality), stamp on picture, signature, and school header.
I'm applying for Medicine 2009. Am I considered slow? I've only registered in UKCAT recently but since I live in Hong Kong, there doesn't seem to have a scheduled exam listed there. Also, did all of you practice for the exam? If yes, from what sort of materials? Thanks!

Any advice? I really want to boost up my chances of getting into medical school because I didn't do as well for my predicted as I would have done...

Btw, one of the exams it says that I'll be taking is 'UK Clinical Aptitude Test - Special Educational Needs' Did I do something wrong on my profile?

ajdj
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pdf/UKCATsampleid.pdf

its on the website...make sure it looks exactly the same. i.e. picture (preferably not printed due to poor quality), stamp on picture, signature, and school header.

Brilliant!! Thanks so much :smile: I wish I had rep power :frown:
Reply 1418
sweetcheeks01
Brilliant!! Thanks so much :smile: I wish I had rep power :frown:

:dry:
Catchetat
I'm applying for Medicine 2009. Am I considered slow? I've only registered in UKCAT recently but since I live in Hong Kong, there doesn't seem to have a scheduled exam listed there. Also, did all of you practice for the exam? If yes, from what sort of materials? Thanks!

Any advice? I really want to boost up my chances of getting into medical school because I didn't do as well for my predicted as I would have done...

Btw, one of the exams it says that I'll be taking is 'UK Clinical Aptitude Test - Special Educational Needs' Did I do something wrong on my profile?

Unless you're dyslexic or have a similar learning disability, you should not be taking the Special Educational Needs version of the test. Try and get that changed immediately if that is not the case.

Advice wise, I suggest you look around the forums and the web for different psychometric tests to practice.. you'll certainly find useful tips in this thread as well.
There is also a practice exam on the UKCAT website.

I'm not sure what you mean about no exam being scheduled.. surely you were asked to choose a date and test centre upon registration? You are not 'slow' as far as registering goes. Many people choose to take the exam at the end of September for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending