The Student Room Group

A Level Biology Formula Helppp

Hi , would really appreciate if you could pls help me with the displayed formula for the following couple of Qs, u can just send a pic or soemthing as its a diagram, i just need help with displayed formulae !!! i can do the first one only which is pentanoic acid, pls help question 2 btw !!!! 85A5F843-AF56-485C-BE97-91C99CE2E456.jpg.jpeg
Reply 1
Pls pls helpppp!!😭😭😭😭
Reply 2
20191104_011550[1].jpg

Sorry if my diagrams are messy, i actually messed up the first one because i misread it as propanoic acid to begin with haha, but corrected it.

I think these should be correct. Let me know if you need any clarification on what i drew.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by tuxedo-
20191104_011550[1].jpg

Sorry if my diagrams are messy, i actually messed up the first one because i misread it as propanoic acid to begin with haha, but corrected it.

I think these should be correct. Let me know if you need any clarification on what i drew.

i honestky cant thank u enough!!! thanks!!!!! which yr are u in btw??
Reply 4
Original post by meemy123
i honestky cant thank u enough!!! thanks!!!!! which yr are u in btw??

I finished year 13 this year but i didn't go to university, i'm on a gap year. Already did my A level exams. I should be in my first year of university if that answers your question, so i guess year 14 haha?
Reply 5
Original post by tuxedo-
I finished year 13 this year but i didn't go to university, i'm on a gap year. Already did my A level exams. I should be in my first year of university if that answers your question, so i guess year 14 haha?

oh woww thinking of doing chem at uni??
Reply 6
oh woww thinking of doing chem at uni??

I did get into university to study medicine starting in October 2019, but didn't accept the offer because i changed my mind about what i want to do in the future exactly. So now i reapplied to do chemistry, i have 3 offers, other 2 universities haven't yet replied.
Reply 7
Original post by tuxedo-
I did get into university to study medicine starting in October 2019, but didn't accept the offer because i changed my mind about what i want to do in the future exactly. So now i reapplied to do chemistry, i have 3 offers, other 2 universities haven't yet replied.

omggg i reallly wanna do med at uni , lol ur probs laughing rn cos i cant even name compounds, but woww what made u change ur mind? im in y12 btw stud
Reply 8
Original post by tuxedo-

studyin bio chem geog french, lowkey feel like im at disadvantage tho cos im not studying maths
Reply 9
omggg i reallly wanna do med at uni , lol ur probs laughing rn cos i cant even name compounds, but woww what made u change ur mind? im in y12 btw stud

Not a lot of people could name compounds that easily back in Year 12 when you do them for the first time. You have two years which is a lot of time to make progress. I realised i would enjoy chemistry more than medicine at university; i would still enjoy medicine and may apply as a postgraduate after finishing my chemistry degree. I am also very good at chemistry, not to boast; had the highest mark in my sixth form for my chemistry A level. My chemistry teachers and head of chemistry at my school were expecting me to do chemistry at university (though were happy with me doing medicine and impressed) and got me thinking that i should probably do it since i enjoy it so much. So i changed my mind and decided to start planning my new application before i even sat my A levels.
Reply 10
Original post by tuxedo-
Not a lot of people could name compounds that easily back in Year 12 when you do them for the first time. You have two years which is a lot of time to make progress. I realised i would enjoy chemistry more than medicine at university; i would still enjoy medicine and may apply as a postgraduate after finishing my chemistry degree. I am also very good at chemistry, not to boast; had the highest mark in my sixth form for my chemistry A level. My chemistry teachers and head of chemistry at my school were expecting me to do chemistry at university (though were happy with me doing medicine and impressed) and got me thinking that i should probably do it since i enjoy it so much. So i changed my mind and decided to start planning my new application before i even sat my A levels.

wow i mean u shld defo apply for chem if ur able to do chem qs at like 2am in the morning aha , i guess you should do what u enjoy ans u can tell that youll go a long way as u seem rly clever
studyin bio chem geog french, lowkey feel like im at disadvantage tho cos im not studying maths

Most universities only require you to do chemistry, some require chemistry AND biology. But beyond that they don't really care what subjects you do. As long as you can write about how your other A levels give you skills which are useful/relate to a career in medicine, i.e. as a doctor, then you are fine. A lot of people apply to and get into medical school with not all science subjects. Most have 3 sciences but if you have chemistry and biology, you'll be fine honestly.

Just make sure you can get the grades to get in. Most medical schools are AAA. Some are A*AA, and some are lower than AAA. Some universities even offer a different pathway to get into their medical school if you come from a deprived area, i think Newcastle did this and you only needed ABB or something.

You need to make sure medicine is the right thing for you. Don't pretend that it is, because you will struggle at faking it. Almost every university interviews for medicine, only a handful don't. In the interviews if you get one, they are intense and you will need to know your way around a lot of things: Ethics, the NHS, recent news, etc. They can ask you a lot and you need to know what you are talking about.

Make sure you do a lot of work experience, but make sure you actually take something from it than you can write about in your statement. Don't do months of volunteering at a hospital if you don't learn anything from it that you can talk about in an interview (and your statement). Anything that you can't fit in your statement, try to get your tutor to write in your reference.

If you don't enjoy your work experience too much, that may be a sign you aren't cut out for working with people and working in a medical profession. Make sure you would like to work in a medical setting.

Read around medicine a lot. There's a lot of popular books that can give a real insight to being a doctor.

And start preparing for the admissions test as soon as possible, there are apps for the UKCAT and BMAT possibly too as well as many past papers. Do them in timed conditions and make sure you start early enough so you've done all the past papers before you sit your admission test, and so that you do the last one just before the test so its fresh in your head.

They are extremely difficult and are one of the main things that decide if you get an interview at a university.

Medicine is one of the most competitive and hardest courses to get into, but its definitely worth it if that's what you want to do. But you will have to work extremely hard and more than other students, except maybe Oxbridge applicants. Remember you can only apply to 4 medical schools/universities. Your 5th option can be a different subject essentially as an insurance. You can apply to less than 4 for medicine and use more for different subjects. That's up to you.
(edited 4 years ago)
T

wow i mean u shld defo apply for chem if ur able to do chem qs at like 2am in the morning aha , i guess you should do what u enjoy ans u can tell that youll go a long way as u seem rly clever

Thanks. If you work hard, which i get the impression you do since you are looking for help rather than giving up, then you will do well in life too.
If you want to study chemistry at university, you will be relieved to know no-one cares about naming compounds (apart from trivial ones such as acetone, formic acid, THF, DMF etc) because it is more important to know structures.

Quick Reply

Latest