The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

paperclip
mcdonald studies? :p:

i thought you had to get a EED - a D being in the McA-level :biggrin:
Yeah, it wouldnt be UUU but EE. I'm havn't heard of that happening at Oxford personally, but it does happen at Cambridge.
emilY?
Perhaps there are extenuating circumstances.

Or an EE offer has been made to take the pressure off as explained by Nina above.

Edit, that was referring to the other case you mention, the UUU is just a but ridiculous - its just unconditional.

lol, i thought you were talking about me at first then :P
SpiritedAway
i thought you had to get a EED - a D being in the McA-level :biggrin:

they want employees on E's? :eek:
:ashy:

Spoiler

Reply 24
QI Elf
My brother informed me today that somebody at his school has had an offer to either Oxford or Cambridge (I'm not 100% sure which but I belive it may have been Oxford) has got an offer for UUU.

Surely this cannot be right? I've heard of EEE before, but UUU??? Why would they offer such grades when the norm is AAA?

Others have kind of explained already, but there's also been some rubbish in this thread, so I'll try to balance it out a bit...

There is no such thing as a UUU offer because, obviously, that is failing your A Levels. Some colleges (particularly Christ's at Cambridge) give out EE offers that is, they ask for passes in two A Levels). This is NOT the level these candidates are expected to reach, but rather just an indication that the college is very confident that they're the right kind of person and A Levels are completely irrelevant. About 1/3 of offers to Christ's are EE offers. If students turn up to uni having actually only got EE, they would be in some serious **** -- the college still expects them to get their As, really, which for many people at Oxbridge simply aren't difficult to get.

In short: An EE offer indicates an unconditional approval of the student; but it is by no means an endorsement of actually *getting* those grades. These are a top people, remember.

A Levels are mostly pointless anyway, so it's a nice fact that Cambridge sometimes ignores them -- AAA is actually pretty arbitrary. It's just a way of setting a minimum standard which is still the highest they can reasonably ask (they'd ask for more, but many schools don't allow students to do more than three. There is also distinct advantage in doing minimal A Levels but spending spare time reading and doing something interesting).

It *is*, possible, however, that the 'UUU' student has been given a normal AAA offer, but only needs UUU in his remaining exams to reach that offer. If he's done his AS year, and then has January module and/or coursework, he's already completed the majority of his A Levels. I was in a similar situation, as I only needed UUD in my June exams to reach the AAA offer (the Us were 4 marks in on subject and 10 in another, or something silly like that). This is quite common. It's also why Cambridge sometimes stipulates certain marks in certain modules.

Does this make any sense?
Reply 25
Greatleysteg
Does that say gullible on the wall, behind you?

Someone asked me that question once, and I looked... :frown:

To the OP, as everyone has said, it was most likely a misunderstanding, either an EEE offer as was taken to mean UUU (as if you got three As at AS you don't need to pass any A level exam to meet you offer) or his/her running UMS total is so high that they only need Us in their upcoming exams to meet a normal three A offer, or something like that.
just to add to the general gist of the thread:
my friend got an EE offer to study maths at christs cambridge, so that does happen, but not UUU.
Reply 27
UUU? Doubt it. EE? Probably. The EE offer is often referred to as "unconditional", and is only given at Christ's College (Cambridge) to the best of my knowledge. Gossip will have spread and the "EE" will have become "UUU"... but that's ********.
Lol. April fools?
Wait it's July.
Reply 29
I got a UUU offer also
sounds like premium grade bull***** to me.
Reply 31
UUU offer? The must have loved you vazzy.

Other colleges occasionally give out EE or EEE but its much rarer than at Christs.
It sounds like they only needed UUU in their remaining exams to get their offer (whether it was AAA or EE or anything in between!)
Reply 33
I'm really sorry... but can somebody tell me what is EEE and UUU? I understand that excellent grades are AAA, so EEE I guess are very bad grades... but what is UUU?
Sorry, I'm not English =) would be great if smb could explain
Reply 34
E the lowest passing grade at A-level.

U is unclassified/ungraded.. so essentially it's a fail.
Reply 35
squeak
E the lowest passing grade at A-level.

U is unclassified/ungraded.. so essentially it's a fail.

Thank you. Now it's clear :smile:
Reply 36
To offer UUU would mean that you actually have to sit the exam. Unconditional wouldn't involve this stipulation. At least, thats the only reason I can see for this.
I don't think you can actually have a UUU offer though. I don't think it's possible, U isn't actually a real grade, you can't get it certificated, it's just a fail.
Reply 38
UUU is NOT a real offer. EE (or EEE) is, though; and the conditions can exist where a candidate only needs 'UUU' in his or her final exams in order to attain the standard AAA offer, due to the marks already banked up through modules & coursework.
mine was AAA but was effectively a CCC offer.

Latest

Trending

Trending