The Student Room Group

Wearing yellow stars on “La Marche contre l’Islamophobie”.

March against Islamophobia.

This occurred on the streets of Paris on the 10th of November.

13,500 people.

However, amongst them were a few dozen who wore a yellow star and crescent with the words “Muslim” on their chest.

I find this is indefensible and reprehensible.

It’s possibly a lack of education of the plight of 73,000 French Jews who were deported during WW2, but **** like this undervalues the purpose of the march.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Occitanie
March against Islamophobia.

This occurred on the streets of Paris on the 10th of November.

13,500 people.

However, amongst them were a few dozen who wore a yellow star and crescent with the words “Muslim” on their chest.

I find this is indefensible and reprehensible.

It’s possibly a lack of education of the plight of 73,000 French Jews who were deported during WW2, but **** like this undervalues the purpose of the march.

I'd have to double check this but I think the original Stars were created by Muslims to identify infidels, they were the first to make Jews wear them.
Reply 2
Original post by z-hog
I'd have to double check this but I think the original Stars were created by Muslims to identify infidels, they were the first to make Jews wear them.

Would you kindly post a link to this claim as i cant say i've heard of this before? Especially as Muslims and Jews got on relatively well until after WWII - Ironic considering the crap Christians gave//give them.
Reply 3
I'd like to highlight that the cresent moon and a star is used on the flags for many majority Muslim countries Algeria, Turkey, Pakistan, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan. This is usually due to the fact that the Islamic month is on a lunar cycle. So moon and stars are used. Also most mosques are topped with a cresent moon too.
Reply 4
Original post by Lilmz932
I'd like to highlight that the cresent moon and a star is used on the flags for many majority Muslim countries Algeria, Turkey, Pakistan, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan. This is usually due to the fact that the Islamic month is on a lunar cycle. So moon and stars are used. Also most mosques are topped with a cresent moon too.

Yeah, I know that, but even so wearing them how some of the demonstrators did is unacceptable and a total lack of self awareness
Reply 5
Yeah, I know that, but even so wearing them how some of the demonstrators did is unacceptable and a total lack of self awareness

From the picture you posted i really dont see any issue. Unless you're trying to posit that anyone wearing a yellow star should be flogged for notional insensitivity?
An odd position given i'm sure i've seen you post repeatedly on the sanctity of freedom of speech and expression?
Reply 6
Original post by Napp
From the picture you posted i really dont see any issue. Unless you're trying to posit that anyone wearing a yellow star should be flogged for notional insensitivity?
An odd position given i'm sure i've seen you post repeatedly on the sanctity of freedom of speech and expression?

Ok, you don’t see an issue with it, so what?

It’s not just any yellow start though, is it. I’m not advocating that we ban those small stars handed out to kids at school, for instance, it’s just the particular references that wearing a star with “Muslim” evoke...

They knew what it represented, and to compare what Muslims are going through now to Jews in the 40s is frankly FARCICAL.
Reply 7
Ok, you don’t see an issue with it, so what?

Err so what if you see an issue with it? :s

It’s not just any yellow start though, is it. I’m not advocating that we ban those small stars handed out to kids at school, for instance, it’s just the particular references that wearing a star with “Muslim” evoke...

Ah so we've returned to your rabid hatred of Muslims. Alas, in my naivety i thought you actually cared, albeit in the absence of evidence, about the jews feelings. Silly me.

They knew what it represented, and to compare what Muslims are going through now to Jews in the 40s is frankly FARCICAL.

Oh im sorry, i didnt know you'd actually spoken to these chaps and knew what their reasons for wearing a star was, a rather (read extremely) common bit of symbolism.

Maybe, maybe not. Still not sure you, of all people, are in a position to make comment on the matter though.
Original post by Napp
Would you kindly post a link to this claim as i cant say i've heard of this before? Especially as Muslims and Jews got on relatively well until after WWII - Ironic considering the crap Christians gave//give them.

I have heard it before, jews and christians had to wear items to show they were non believers and got treated very badly because of this, I think christians it was belts but it was a long time ago I read that, so I could be mistaken. Muslims and jews have never got on that well, starting with Mohammed himself beheading hundreads of jews.
Reply 9
Original post by Napp

There will be a lot of stuff you haven't heard of before, I'll look for a link when in the mood.
Reply 10
Original post by z-hog
There will be a lot of stuff you haven't heard of before, I'll look for a link when in the mood.

Undoubtedly, however since you cant provide any form of proof for your claim and with your history of lying through your back teeth, well...
Reply 11
Original post by Napp
Undoubtedly, however since you cant provide any form of proof for your claim and with your history of lying through your back teeth, well...

Yeah, sure...
Reply 12
Original post by z-hog
Yeah, sure...

You do know your repeated fibbing is not just well known but the evidence litters the forum right? :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Original post by Napp
You do know your repeated fibbing is not just well known but the evidence litters the forum right? :rolleyes:

Could be worse, could be the type of evidence you leave behind...:biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by z-hog
Could be worse, could be the type of evidence you leave behind...:biggrin:

Err?
Reply 15
Original post by Napp
Err so what if you see an issue with it? :s

Ah so we've returned to your rabid hatred of Muslims. Alas, in my naivety i thought you actually cared, albeit in the absence of evidence, about the jews feelings. Silly me.

Oh im sorry, i didnt know you'd actually spoken to these chaps and knew what their reasons for wearing a star was, a rather (read extremely) common bit of symbolism.

Maybe, maybe not. Still not sure you, of all people, are in a position to make comment on the matter though.

My hatred for Muslims?! Hahaha you’re a great laugh.

And FYI, it’s been raised as a significant issue within the Jewish community of Paris and France. That’s what counts.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Napp

Muslims did make Jews wear yellow badges, dating all the way back to the 8th century, with Caliph Umar II being the first known person to introduce them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_badge
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Muslims did make Jews wear yellow badges, dating all the way back to the 8th century. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_badge

Expect Nappies will hold his tongue from now.
Reply 18
Just to set the record straight, Napp couldn't find a fib of mine to save his life but it's enough for one day. It's a shame because I know he likes me and it is mutual, we just have one of those love and hate relationships. He's the one who always starts it, anyway. :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Muslims did make Jews wear yellow badges, dating all the way back to the 8th century, with Caliph Umar II being the first known person to introduce them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_badge

Thank you :smile:
Expect Nappies will hold his tongue from now.

Nope, i stand by the comments i said about you :smile:

Quick Reply