The Student Room Group

My retainer causes me discomfort, is this normal?

I got my braces off around march of 2022. Ive been wearing a clear retainer since then and am scheduled to the rest of my life. My top piece has to be pried off my teeth and my bottom piece just slips off easily. Not sure if this is relevant, but i find it odd. My retainer causes me to barely be able to close my jaw, i feel like its pushing my rows closer together and it feels very pressurizing whenever i close my mouth. Im not sure if i need to tell my orthodontist about this issue or if its just whats supposed to happen. but this didnt happen when i was in braces, so im not sure its supposed to happen now. Is this normal?

edit: id also like to add this doesnt happen when my retainer is on. i wear it at night while im asleep. in the daytime, it takes effect and takes a few days to wear off (when im only wearing it for one night). i used to wear it every night, until i realized the problem it caused and stopped. so far my teeth have stayed in their condition without me wearing it. my orthodontist says everything seems to be going well, even though ive practically never worn it. so confused.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by grace801
I got my braces off around march of 2022. Ive been wearing a clear retainer since then and am scheduled to the rest of my life. My top piece has to be pried off my teeth and my bottom piece just slips off easily. Not sure if this is relevant, but i find it odd. My retainer causes me to barely be able to close my jaw, i feel like its pushing my rows closer together and it feels very pressurizing whenever i close my mouth. Im not sure if i need to tell my orthodontist about this issue or if its just whats supposed to happen. but this didnt happen when i was in braces, so im not sure its supposed to happen now. Is this normal?

edit: id also like to add this doesnt happen when my retainer is on. i wear it at night while im asleep. in the daytime, it takes effect and takes a few days to wear off (when im only wearing it for one night). i used to wear it every night, until i realized the problem it caused and stopped. so far my teeth have stayed in their condition without me wearing it. my orthodontist says everything seems to be going well, even though ive practically never worn it. so confused.

Talk to your orthodontist if you don't feel comfortable after wearing your retainer for long periods of time. Things may be fine now, but if your teeth begin to shift from not wearing it, all of the money and time you spent wearing braces will start going to waste.

Quick Reply

Latest