The Student Room Group

Outrage as blind African student is dragged out of Oxford Union

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
After how long a period of noisy resistance? Anyway, the card appeared to me to be in his hand, held behind his back to prevent the quard getting it.

Considering the room only just fell quiet I would imagine not very long.

Where did you get the idea he was holding his card from? Certainly not that video.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
All I'm saying is that it says his membership was suspended..meaning he had membership and was thus able to book a seat? Dunno.

As a member of the Union myself, I can confirm that you can't "book" seats.
Reply 122
Original post by Professional G
He wasn’t at fault at all. They dragged him out despite him booking a seat, then the president had the nerve to charge and laugh about that whole ordeal.

This is a postcard picture of modern times, nobody seems to know the full extent of event but everyone has a strong opinion on them somehow. I got this from a link in this thread, to add some insight to the 'story':

The committee was called to face charges brought by McGrath that he had committed ‘violent conduct’ when Union staff forcibly removed him from the Union’s debating chamber after he had been found to be sitting in a seat reserved for committee members.

Sop whether he 'booked a seat' or not is not really known but... this made the BBC News at One, it's a big deal. In it, they said this guy had been 'removed' (misleading, he was moved from where he apparently wasn't supposed to be in the first place and refusing to comply was what sparked the whole thing) and there are all sorts of misconceptions about this.

Now, the BBC said he had been removed for 'reasons that are unclear' and that's where the manipulative bull kicks in. The BBC pretend not to know the full reasons because they actually don't give a f**k about them and all they want is to push their usual 'isn't this country and white people racist' crap. Everytime someone gives a black person in the US a dirty look the BBC get in touch, collect statements from their lawyers and go quiz the alleged offenders in person if that's what it takes. They move the earth for it, surely they have done their best to find a critical angle in this one too. They will have tried and failed in their efforts so they just leave it at that, with everyone talking about something nobody is deliberately not told the full extent of.
Original post by z-hog
This is a postcard picture of modern times, nobody seems to know the full extent of event but everyone has a strong opinion on them somehow. I got this from a link in this thread, to add some insight to the 'story':

Sop whether he 'booked a seat' or not is not really known but... this made the BBC News at One, it's a big deal. In it, they said this guy had been 'removed' (misleading, he was moved from where he apparently wasn't supposed to be in the first place and refusing to comply was what sparked the whole thing) and there are all sorts of misconceptions about this.

Now, the BBC said he had been removed for 'reasons that are unclear' and that's where the manipulative bull kicks in. The BBC pretend not to know the full reasons because they actually don't give a f**k about them and all they want is to push their usual 'isn't this country and white people racist' crap. Everytime someone gives a black person in the US a dirty look the BBC get in touch, collect statements from their lawyers and go quiz the alleged offenders in person if that's what it takes. They move the earth for it, surely they have done their best to find a critical angle in this one too. They will have tried and failed in their efforts so they just leave it at that, with everyone talking about something nobody is deliberately not told the full extent of.

PRSOM
Reply 124
Original post by Sammylou40
PRSOM

Napp has got this Repping system fixed, I virtually can't rep anybody these days and no doubt there are scores of people wanting to show their agreement with my viewpoints but unable to because of him. I can't even rep some people I can't agree with anything on!
Original post by z-hog
Napp has got this Repping system fixed, I virtually can't rep anybody these days and no doubt there are scores of people wanting to show their agreement with my viewpoints but unable to because of him. I can't even rep some people I can't agree with anything on!

You can rep who you want. It won’t let you rep the same user multiple times, you need to share the love!
Original post by -Imperator-
As a member of the Union myself, I can confirm that you can't "book" seats.

Then there's no reason for him to have been tossed out.

@Good bloke's reasoning is that he had to be dragged out for being in a seat that he didn't book. Those were his words. Not mine.
Original post by z-hog

Wot
Original post by Sammylou40
You can rep who you want. It won’t let you rep the same user multiple times, you need to share the love!

Why did she blame napp for prsom...lol
@Good bloke's reasoning is that he had to be dragged out for being in a seat that he didn't book. Those were his words. Not mine.

No. I said that he appears to have tried to 'book' a seat (which is not allowed apparently) in an area where ordinary attendees were not allowed to sit anyway (which speaks for itself). So, he transgressed in two ways. He appears then to have resisted moving when asked to do so.
Reply 130
Original post by IH8Studying
ew that’s why i hate oxford and anyone who likes that uni.

The Oxford Union has nothing to do with Oxford university. Why are you hating on people that have worked hard and managed to get into one of the top universities in the world? have you met everyone from oxford university? You come across as if you hate people who have achieved a lot in their lives and had success especially if they are white. I think rather than being horrible maybe learn from them. I don't see anybody here laughing at you for failing maths gcse 5 times or how ever long. We support you and likewise you should also support other students.
Original post by asd1
The Oxford Union has nothing to do with Oxford university. Why are you hating on people that have worked hard and managed to get into one of the top universities in the world? have you met everyone from oxford university? You come across as if you hate people who have achieved a lot in their lives and had success especially if they are white. I think rather than being horrible maybe learn from them. I don't see anybody here laughing at you for failing maths gcse 5 times or how ever long. We support you and likewise you should also support other students.

Savage 😂
Reply 132
Original post by Good bloke
He 'booked' it by leaving a book on it. That is not allowed and, anyway, the seats in that area were reserved for committee mebers and guests so no ordinary attendee should have been in them.

So why didnt they offer him another seat or offer him to stand?
Original post by GodAtum

I don't know. Why don't you ask them? I bet it was a racist conspiracy against disabled people and nothing at all to do with his disruptive behaviour or the possibility of there being no seats left.
Why did she blame napp for prsom...lol

Can’t beat a good conspiracy lol
Original post by GodAtum

Maybe it was full, maybe you arent allowed to reserve seats in that way? maybe he refused to move.

Your original thread title was appalling, inaccurate and racist stirring by itself. It disgusted me. am glad you had the decency to change it.
Original post by SMEGGGY
Other students didn't help him or protest either. Unbelievable

This is Oxford and he is black. The other students were probably chairing for his abusers...
Reply 137
Caught up with it on Radio 4, the BBC are quite interested as they would. Literally, they said he reserved a seat and that, for some unknown reason, he'd been dragged away. That was it, if you can believe the cheek with which they push their social-working agenda and all the rest. I'm done with it, i just stared at the radio and turned off. This is what cultural takeovers look like, they don't do journalism anymore.
Original post by Sinnoh
You didn't even read the headline of the article

don’t have to.
Original post by z-hog

Babe, that paranoia ain't a good look.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending