The Student Room Group

Oxford BCL/Cambridge LLM

Hi everyone,

Just finished my law undergraduate at a leading commonwealth uni. I did a law major with a minor in another subject. I am graduating with a first in my law degree, but I hated my minor and got a 2.1 in it, which dragged me down to just below a first overall in my degree as a whole. Is there any point in applying for an Oxford BCL/Cambridge LLM with a first in my law major but a 2.1 overall?
I think there was one out of like 80 students on the BCL the other year who had a 2:1 whereas the others all had 1sts (they at least used to publish the students on the BCL with their undergraduate degree, alma mater, and classification somewhere on the website; not sure if they still do) so I wouldn't expect much out of it if you did apply - obviously doing better in the law side is probably better than the alternative though. No idea about the Cambridge LLM though.

So apply if there aren't any prohibitive application costs involved, but consider it a lottery ticket application and have practical options otherwise that you are following up on.
(edited 11 months ago)
you'll need to ask them that, but for the Cambridge LLM they need a first, so you need to have that.
Reply 3
Original post by BCLaspirant
Hi everyone,

Just finished my law undergraduate at a leading commonwealth uni. I did a law major with a minor in another subject. I am graduating with a first in my law degree, but I hated my minor and got a 2.1 in it, which dragged me down to just below a first overall in my degree as a whole. Is there any point in applying for an Oxford BCL/Cambridge LLM with a first in my law major but a 2.1 overall?

Almost everyone accepted had a First Class honours Law Bachelor's degree. Also, most of them were in the top 1% to 10% in their cohort year. :frown:

https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2022-10/134227_faculty_of_law_-_bclmjur_class_web_version_v3.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending