The Student Room Group

ICE Cambridge. What rights do ICE students have?

Hey everyone, I am looking to participate and apply for the undergrad Certificate in Philosophy.

I would like to know if students studying at the University of Cambridge Institute of Continuing Education have the same rights as full-time students at Cambridge University.
So, I read on the ICE website that if you are studying for a qualification that is at least one academic year in length (i.e. Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma) you can apply for a University card. This gives you access to many facilities at Cambridge.

Does anyone know if ICE students are also theoretically eligible to apply for a CAMCard, as well as receiving a free @cantab.net e-mail address like other alumni?

Can ICE students also join the Cambridge Union?

Do you know of any other rights and perks for students studying at the University of Cambridge Institute of Continuing Education?

I have not found anywhere information on whether there is an awards ceremony for an ICE undergrad certificate. Does anyone know the answer to this question maybe?

Thanks for your help!

Scroll to see replies

I'm an ICE student, and yes I have a university card and life membership to the cambridge union. The university card isn't optional, you're automatically given one upon enrollment.

As for the almuni camcard and cantab.net I'm unsure, since it may require marticulation. Not all courses in ICE require marticulation, (only the postgraduate programmes I believe). But we do have university emails like any other student.

At the moment, I have full access to all facilities and societies/events within the university, all you need is a university card.

Edit: If you do want to join the union I recomend getting life membership during the freshers period. They offer a small discount during this period.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Bamwam234
I'm an ICE student, and yes I have a university card and life membership to the cambridge union. The university card isn't optional, you're automatically given one upon enrollment.

As for the almuni camcard and cantab.net I'm unsure, since it may require marticulation. Not all courses in ICE require marticulation, (only the postgraduate programmes I believe). But we do have university emails like any other student.

At the moment, I have full access to all facilities and societies/events within the university, all you need is a university card.

Edit: If you do want to join the union I recomend getting life membership during the freshers period. They offer a small discount during this period.

Thank you for your answer. Sounds really great! I will also contact the university to find out if we are eligible to apply for a CAMCard and a free @cantab.net e-mail.
Original post by Pantine
Thank you for your answer. Sounds really great! I will also contact the university to find out if we are eligible to apply for a CAMCard and a free @cantab.net e-mail.

If you've got a @cam.ac.uk email address, then you will be able to transfer this to a @cantab email after graduation. You should get one year free.
Reply 4

Actually, I would like to ask one question. How easy was it to get your Cambridge union membership? I was checking their online form and it seems they don't ask for my CRSid. What are the exact steps to get their membership?
Original post by Pantine
Actually, I would like to ask one question. How easy was it to get your Cambridge union membership? I was checking their online form and it seems they don't ask for my CRSid. What are the exact steps to get their membership?

Extremely easy. Just type in your details, do the college as "University of Cambridge" and pay the membership fee, from then you're a life member.

It's a very trust based system, I don't think they care as long as they get money out of it. Any fraudulent sign ups would have just wasted £180 on access to an outdated website, without access to any events.

If you're in ICE for an award bearing course that lasts at least one year, you will automatically be sent a university card in the post. When in Cambridge go to the union building during office hours, present your university card and ID and they'll make a life membership card for you on the spot.

Membership to the Cambridge union automatically gives you reciprocal membership to the Durham and Oxford union too. As well as free access to the national liberal club in London.
Reply 6
Extremely easy. Just type in your details, do the college as "University of Cambridge" and pay the membership fee, from then you're a life member.

It's a very trust based system, I don't think they care as long as they get money out of it. Any fraudulent sign ups would have just wasted £180 on access to an outdated website, without access to any events.

If you're in ICE for an award bearing course that lasts at least one year, you will automatically be sent a university card in the post. When in Cambridge go to the union building during office hours, present your university card and ID and they'll make a life membership card for you on the spot.

Membership to the Cambridge union automatically gives you reciprocal membership to the Durham and Oxford union too. As well as free access to the national liberal club in London.

Awesome. I will be registering tomorrow probably. I am still waiting for my university card to arrive though, but I was told that it would be arriving any time now.
As Reality Check mentioned earlier, we are apparently eligible to apply for a free @cantab.net e-mail. I will be talking to the university tomorrow about the CAMCard. I will let you know once I have any definite answer.
Reply 7

Just got their answer and it seems that the ICE Certificate courses and diplomas do not qualify for alumni benefits. The reason being, individuals on these courses do not matriculate within one of the 31 Colleges of Cambridge.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check
If you've got a @cam.ac.uk email address, then you will be able to transfer this to a @cantab email after graduation. You should get one year free.

Do you know this from your experience? I just got an email from the university claiming the ICE Certificate courses and diplomas do not qualify for alumni benefits...
Original post by Pantine
Do you know this from your experience? I just got an email from the university claiming the ICE Certificate courses and diplomas do not qualify for alumni benefits...

My experience is of the university proper, where our @cam email addresses became @cantab if we so chose. Clearly this isn't the case for your course.
Reply 10

Did you need to activate the university card first, before collecting your Cambridge Union card? If yes, how do you activate your university card?
Original post by Pantine
Did you need to activate the university card first, before collecting your Cambridge Union card? If yes, how do you activate your university card?

I just got it in the post, presented it (with photo ID) to the union reception and they made me a card. You don't need to activate the card, I don't know what that would mean.
Reply 12
I just got it in the post, presented it (with photo ID) to the union reception and they made me a card. You don't need to activate the card, I don't know what that would mean.

Cool! Thx!
Hi,Did you ever find out if there is an awards ceremony for those who complete the advanced diploma? I understand that you do not matriculate to a college nor become official alumni, however, wondered if there was something more than just a transcript or emailed certificate of participation upon completion. The words “diploma” and “certificate” seem to have different meanings depending where you are going to school and I have now seen them refer to anything from weekend courses that lead to a print at home emailed certificate to two years of full time studies that culminate with an awards ceremony complete with gown and shoulder sash (like a single shoulder hood). Just curious as to where this leads as my employer only provides partial funding for the latter type of diploma.

Hi,
Do you know if ICE will post student cards to students who are taking award bearing courses that are online, ie. the ADRAS? I'm in Canada so it's not exactly a quick trip to pick one up from the card office in person. I'm asking as I imagine it's like my previous university student cards in that there's an ID number on it that is needed to access university library materials online.
Original post by KatyInCanada
Hi,
Do you know if ICE will post student cards to students who are taking award bearing courses that are online, ie. the ADRAS? I'm in Canada so it's not exactly a quick trip to pick one up from the card office in person. I'm asking as I imagine it's like my previous university student cards in that there's an ID number on it that is needed to access university library materials online.

You only need a student card to access the UL if you are there in person. Remote login is available through your CRSId.
Original post by threeportdrift
You only need a student card to access the UL if you are there in person. Remote login is available through your CRSId.

Original post by KatyInCanada
Hi,Did you ever find out if there is an awards ceremony for those who complete the advanced diploma? I understand that you do not matriculate to a college nor become official alumni, however, wondered if there was something more than just a transcript or emailed certificate of participation upon completion. The words “diploma” and “certificate” seem to have different meanings depending where you are going to school and I have now seen them refer to anything from weekend courses that lead to a print at home emailed certificate to two years of full time studies that culminate with an awards ceremony complete with gown and shoulder sash (like a single shoulder hood). Just curious as to where this leads as my employer only provides partial funding for the latter type of diploma.

Katy, did you ever get an answer to this?
Original post by ericd1112
Katy, did you ever get an answer to this?

Unless they've updated it in the last year, it's a dumb card. Its only use is for flashing at Porters etc in Cambridge to show you are a student. Anything online is accessed by using your CRSId.
Original post by threeportdrift
Unless they've updated it in the last year, it's a dumb card. Its only use is for flashing at Porters etc in Cambridge to show you are a student. Anything online is accessed by using your CRSId.

hmmm, dumb? As in stupid?

Well you need it to access the library, also helps with shops that offer student discount in the city.
Have you attended and if you have can you give updated information on what rights an ICE student has?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending