The Student Room Group

Rock analysis

I'm having a skype interview at Oxford on Wednesday for Earth Science. I am really worried about the rock analysis thing because I have never studied geology before. Any tips??
Original post by Bojantr
I'm having a skype interview at Oxford on Wednesday for Earth Science. I am really worried about the rock analysis thing because I have never studied geology before. Any tips??

@Plagioclase is your man for this one, but I'm not sure whether he's still active or not.
Original post by Bojantr

Firstly, whilst I do not know this so don't assume anything, if they ask you to comment on a geological speciment via a Skype interview then my guess is that they'd send you a photograph rather than expecting you to do it via the video link. They would choose a sample that doesn't require you to handle it or look at very fine features. Your interviewers will be completely aware that a Skype interview is different from in person so you do not need to worry about that.

In terms of what they'll ask you to do, as I believe I've already told you, they know that you've not studied geology before so they won't assume any knowledge. The majority of students starting the Earth Sciences course have not studied geology before and there is no assumed prior knowledge. But you do not have to have studied geology in order to make intelligent interpretations from a geological specimen based on what you know from other subjects. Go to this page and scroll down to "Tell me what this rock looks like". That will hopefully help a little. Again, the interview isn't about what you know, it's about how you think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending