The Student Room Group

Geology dissertation help

I've started my geological mapping project and I'm starting to really stress because I physically don't know if I can do it. I need to complete 28 days in the field by the start of term but as my chosen mapping area is mostly costal I don't know if I can physically do this because I'm struggling find enough outcrops which I can access in my mapping area. I'm confident I can map the area using aerial photography etc, but I don't know if I will be able to make my fieldwork last 28 days or if I'll be able to find enough outcrops with enough detail to write 7,500 words about.
Can you do additional analysis at the outcrops that will take more time?
A detailed sedimentary log? That can take a few days for a relatively small section.

Any folds/synclines that you can collect data for a polar plot analysis? Or faulting/cracking structural features that you can plot accurately to analyse the direction and any cross cutting relationships?
You can break down the mapping project into several different topics: lithology, terrestrial or marine sediments (assuming your mapping area has sedimentary rocks, environment of deposition, fossils, structural/tectonics (folds and faults), any igneous activity (sills, ash beds etc). You'll want to be able to write about the geological history of your area, by incorporating all of the above where relevant. Is there evidence of transgression/regression, unconformities etc.?
Are there any accessible and safe quarry sections or road cuttings inland?
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending