The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I just rang up Nottingham and it was pointless. Woman on the phone just directed me to the website. So id wasted 50 mins thinking I could sign up via the phone and by then all the places were gone apparently.
Original post by Atypicalstudent
Can I ask what your grades were?

i got AAAB (did these over 3 years rather than 2 though)
Original post by 1234amy
Thank you!

No problem! I’m an April first year so any questions or help you need let me know!
Tried on phone - no places.
Can’t find the form.
I feel like Nottingham admissions process is horrendous. From them giving me a physically unachievable offer (they knew this because they had my transcripts and it was physically impossible for me to reach the grade they wanted) and also not being offered a contextual offer, even though I meet the criteria. And then to getting no communication (including nothing about open days or accommodation for prospect students) or even a request for my grades. They also didn't bother sending me a health questionnaire or letting me know they received my results. It's just been completely unprofessional and I feel like they knew from the start that they didn't want me as a student there. I just don't know why they bothered putting me through all the stress. It's a complete joke. I also don't think there's been any consideration for us university students who have still had to sit all their exams whilst barely getting taught anything all year.

Edit: Im a graduate so they had my results way before A-levels came out.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Kitkatmac
Tried on phone - no places.
Can’t find the form.

Hi did they tell you on the phone that the April cohorts is full? The clearing form can me found on the Nottingham website if you just search Nottingham university clearing and adjustment
Original post by cmckenna_
Hi did they tell you on the phone that the April cohorts is full? The clearing form can me found on the Nottingham website if you just search Nottingham university clearing and adjustment

They said both cohorts are full. DD has spoken to two different people. The form has no vet med course listed now so it must be full 😬
So all Notts clearing spaces now gone? daughter applied via form but not heard so maybe too late 😥
Original post by cmckenna_

On the clearing form, where you input the course you want to study, veterinary medicine is gone/ not selectable.
I feel like Nottingham admissions process is horrendous. From them giving me a physically unachievable offer (they knew this because they had my transcripts and it was physically impossible for me to reach the grade they wanted) and also not being offered a contextual offer, even though I meet the criteria. And then to getting no communication (including nothing about open days or accommodation for prospect students) or even a request for my grades. They also didn't bother sending me a health questionnaire or letting me know they received my results. It's just been completely unprofessional and I feel like they knew from the start that they didn't want me as a student there. I just don't know why they bothered putting me through all the stress. It's a complete joke.

Hi! We’re you given an offer over AAA? If so that seems strange as there standard offer is AAB. And they are unlikely to lower this. I also don’t know anyone who got a contextual offer for nottingham in my year but there might be a few. I don’t think it’s that common for vet med. I only received the health questionnaire after I got my grades and got a place. That’s just how they do it. I can’t remember when I got my accomodation form but I feel like it might have been after I got my offer as well. I’m April cohort so it might be slightly different. I don’t think they did any open days this year either due to coronavirus. I am so sorry that you are disappointed and I know how devestating it is to not get the grades needed.

Don’t give up. Reapply next year or try to get onto a foundation course. Best of luck!
Original post by flamingolover
Hi! We’re you given an offer over AAA? If so that seems strange as there standard offer is AAB. And they are unlikely to lower this. I also don’t know anyone who got a contextual offer for nottingham in my year but there might be a few. I don’t think it’s that common for vet med. I only received the health questionnaire after I got my grades and got a place. That’s just how they do it. I can’t remember when I got my accomodation form but I feel like it might have been after I got my offer as well. I’m April cohort so it might be slightly different. I don’t think they did any open days this year either due to coronavirus. I am so sorry that you are disappointed and I know how devestating it is to not get the grades needed.

Don’t give up. Reapply next year or try to get onto a foundation course. Best of luck!

What would you suggest as a foundation course as there are none for vet med?
Original post by Kitkatmac
What would you suggest as a foundation course as there are none for vet med?

Sorry! I meant gateway! and I thought Liverpool had a foundation year? I could be wrong about that though
Nottingham do one
Original post by flamingolover

So I got a 2:1 at degree level so was applicable for the BB entrance requirements. And there is something about contextual offers online. I live in quite a poor area so this should have been considered. And this year everyone received the health questionnaire early (like 3-4 weeks ago). I had to chase them up and apparently they'd missed me off the mailing list (which is likely because they'd already decided they didn't want me- it would be interesting to know if other people who had that happen to them also got rejected). And they did actually have an open day. I didn't receive an email about it but just happened to check their website one day and see it.

I have actually got a place at another university but its not my first choice and it doesn't compare to the standard of Nottingham by far. But at least they've been more clear with their communication, sent me a reasonable offer and actually seem like they want me there.
They call it a preliminary year, I think. My son phoned them last week to ask if they had any places on that course because the clearing website suggested they did. I'm afraid nottingham didn't cover themselves with glory with their helpfulness. I went to Nottingham so was disappointed with their lack of clarity. Fortunately we didn't need clearing. Having said that, nottingham is an excellent choice.
So I got a 2:1 at degree level so was applicable for the BB entrance requirements. And there is something about contextual offers online. I live in quite a poor area so this should have been considered. And this year everyone received the health questionnaire early (like 3-4 weeks ago). I had to chase them up and apparently they'd missed me off the mailing list (which is likely because they'd already decided they didn't want me- it would be interesting to know if other people who had that happen to them also got rejected). And they did actually have an open day. I didn't receive an email about it but just happened to check their website one day and see it.

I have actually got a place at another university but its not my first choice and it doesn't compare to the standard of Nottingham by far. But at least they've been more clear with their communication, sent me a reasonable offer and actually seem like they want me there.

Oh right! I'm not sure about the application process for 2:1. I know that the contextual requirements vary per uni. My friend who lives near me got a contextual offer from some unis but not others and I didn't for any. Not all poorer areas qualify for contextual offers in all places. If you had an offer they wouldn't have intentionally missed you off. A lot fo us didn't get certain emails last year completely by accident.

Congratulations on getting a place! Any course is better than no course at all! You will do great wherever you go!
Original post by Anxiety attack
Nottingham do one

Unfortunately she would not meet the criteria for either the gateway or prelimainary year 😞
Someone was talking about the gateway year at Nottingham. Apparently there are less than 15 places, so definitely not an easy option!
Oh OK. Didn't know the numbers. Well, the bulge of 18 year old may be diminished next year, plus there will be far fewer deferrals, so equipped with all the experience from this year's application and the opportunity to get work experience completed, next year may be a bit easier 🤞Keep going.
Hey,

Just wanted to jump in quickly and say that if anyone is having issues with clearing or wants any help, it may be worth making a thread in the main applications, clearing and ucas forum- our advisors are around but we often don't see stuff on threads like this.

If it's relevant to anyone, we also have specific threads for appeals, and resits:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7062276&p=95674792&page=3#post95674792

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7072676&p=95674789#post95674789

If anyone wants any help around appeals and resits (I can't help with VetMed specific stuff), please do feel free to tag me in or quote me, too!

Latest

Trending

Trending