The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Vazzyb
im sure UCL give at least 500 offers...id think quite a few of their offer-holders wud go elsewhere

I've heard that they give offers to 70% of their interviewees so yeah that makes about 550/560 offers given out out of the 700/800 interviews
Reply 3681
manmade xoxo
Well according to this guy, Oxford has actually said that Section 2 has the most weight for shortlisting.

Exactly!
Reply 3682
blip
thats worrying

anyone know about imperial?

according to past threads and posts, imperial are quite random with who they interview according to bmat scores. some get well below half marks in each section and still get an interview, wheras others get amazingly high bmat scores and don't get interviewed. As such, there isn't any universal 'cut-off' score - it depends on your entire UCAS form, I guess, so there isn't much point in hazarding guesses/making up rumours as to the scores you need to get for interview!
Reply 3683
Seems like A levels is the wiser choice than IB for those taking BMAT and applying for medicine. It does have more subject depth and certainly seems to give more spare time as well as required knowledge to prepare for BMAT. People say that the grill of IB with numerous presentations, portfolio, reports etc. prepares you well for University! Well, one needs to get into the University first! An excellent PS, wonderful recommendations, very impressive and extensive extra curricular activities, a predicted score of above 42 but little time time to prepare for entrance exams as well as filling applications to Ivy league universities, is not going to help to get a place in one of the top universities!!!
manmade xoxo
Well according to this guy, Oxford has actually said that Section 2 has the most weight for shortlisting.

But according to that guy, they discount your BMAT scores once they interview you, which is wrong.

I'm not saying he's necessarily wrong on this, but nobody really knows what goes on in the heads of the ATs so we speculate on here.

Besides, you shouldn't take anything you hear on the internet as gospel... :p:
jonnyofengland
But according to that guy, they discount your BMAT scores once they interview you, which is wrong.

I'm not saying he's necessarily wrong on this, but nobody really knows what goes on in the heads of the ATs so we speculate on here.

Besides, you shouldn't take anything you hear on the internet as gospel... :p:

Well that's true, but this person heard the same thing

Tibbles168
I remember some tutor at Corpus Christi Oxford on open day also telling me at section 2 seem to have worth more than the 2 two, this is for medicine anyway but I'm pretty sure they take every aspect of your application into account before shortlisting you for an interview.

oh well, it's not like we can do anything about it.
manmade xoxo
Well that's true, but this person heard the same thing

oh well, it's not like we can do anything about it.

Yeah, at the end of the day the results are out and us worrying about selection isn't going to change everything.
Reply 3687
susan50
Seems like A levels is the wiser choice than IB for those taking BMAT and applying for medicine. It does have more subject depth and certainly seems to give more spare time as well as required knowledge to prepare for BMAT. People say that the grill of IB with numerous presentations, portfolio, reports etc. prepares you well for University! Well, one needs to get into the University first! An excellent PS, wonderful recommendations, very impressive and extensive extra curricular activities, a predicted score of above 42 but little time time to prepare for entrance exams as well as filling applications to Ivy league universities, is not going to help to get a place in one of the top universities!!!

lol why apply to ivy? -_-;
takes longer and seems like a waste of money to me (if UK/EU citizen)
and besides, i FAILED my bio tests that BMAT week. so yeah. go me. and i still got decent BMAT scores....
but yeah, IB is difficult.... and i wish they did offer A levels in sweden.
still, IB is the IB. I just wish i had decided to take a gap year.... and apply then.
I haven't been to this thread since my mass panic back on november 4th :'D
I just wasn't up to the discussion of the paper.

Although the panic paid off apparently, I got an interview at Oxford (panic ensues)

6.1, 6.4 and 9.5

Hooray for not writing total crap in my essay :biggrin:
I was so worried about going off subject.
Just glad it's over I guess, one less hurdle to jump over.
UCL give offers to 70% of their interviewees? Source? I know this is true of Imperial but UCL?
PeeWeeDan
UCL give offers to 70% of their interviewees? Source? I know this is true of Imperial but UCL?

It's what you get told at interview, actually. By Brenda or Bender.
PeeWeeDan

Really! :eek:
Had UCL interview and has a talk from this guy (I think it was the admissions dean, not too sure though :p:) and he said UCL are interviewing 1000 people this year, giving out 600 offers, so after simple math, it's 60% :p:

But someone who had an interview and the same talk that morning said it was 70%, so whatever the figure it's still quite good.

Shame I messed up the interview :rolleyes:
Reply 3693
Raquel//
Had UCL interview and has a talk from this guy (I think it was the admissions dean, not too sure though :p:) and he said UCL are interviewing 1000 people this year, giving out 600 offers, so after simple math, it's 60% :p:

But someone who had an interview and the same talk that morning said it was 70%, so whatever the figure it's still quite good.

They are not interviewing 1000 people lol, on the email it says 700-800.

But Last year it was 800 and this year it is going to be 750.

They were over subscribed last year they are gonna give less offers, (hence the need for less interviews)

How was the interview? what do you think went wrong.
I know what the email and letter said, but that's what this gentleman said, and I take what he says as FACT.

And a range of things went wrong, none of which I want to particularly go into. Just hoping maybe I'm being pessimistic and really they love me and are gonna offer BBB.
Reply 3695
Raquel//

WOW :biggrin: That just made my day! Are you sure he said 1000? and 600 offers! wooooooo :eek: that sounds gooooood
Raquel//

1000 get interviewed? :eek:

I hope that is legit, I really do. :puppyeyes:

Anyway, try not to think about how it went. A good friend of mine had his interview yesterday and felt pretty mixed about how it went, saying it was even a bit awkward at times. They said candidates may hear as soon as Friday with their decisions this week so at least it's a short wait! All the best.
!MEna
1000 get interviewed? :eek:

I hope that is legit, I really do. :puppyeyes:

Anyway, try not to think about how it went. A good friend of mine had his interview yesterday and felt pretty mixed about how it went, saying it was even a bit awkward at times. They said candidates may hear as soon as Friday with their decisions this week so at least it's a short wait! All the best.

Thanks :smile: Umm yea, I should forget about it really, nothing I can do now.
Mine was yesterday too. Did he have it morning or afternoon?

I really wish I was listening when the man said what his name was, so I could see what job he has within UCL. Oh well, hope this means some more of you will get interviews!
How did the UCL interviews go? any tips?
Raquel//
Thanks :smile: Umm yea, I should forget about it really, nothing I can do now.
Mine was yesterday too. Did he have it morning or afternoon?

I really wish I was listening when the man said what his name was, so I could see what job he has within UCL. Oh well, hope this means some more of you will get interviews!
His was in the morning.

I'll give you a PM!

Latest

Trending

Trending