The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

DrDomDom
TP and Beth...you scare me.

You're...very well read.

I only really got into reading pop science books when my chemistry teacher recommended me one of Emsley's books and I loved it :p:

I wouldn't say I've read that much, and still, Cambridge do like to ask you random questions which have nothing to do with your interests :wink:

E.g. Talk to me about a banana.
Toiletpaper8
I only really got into reading pop science books when my chemistry teacher recommended me one of Emsley's books and I loved it :p:

I wouldn't say I've read that much, and still, Cambridge do like to ask you random questions which have nothing to do with your interests :wink:

E.g. Talk to me about a banana.

Someone told me those sorts of questions were just rumours - not real questions asked.

I think it'd be interesting so see where that conversation actually led to :p:
Aiex
so well read <_<

i still have time i guess, though i'm not sure if those books are the best source?

wouldn't finding research papers be better as they are peer reviewed? it's all great to know something but aren't what they are more interested in is how to find out more via experiments etc?

Those books simplify a lot of complicated scientific ideas, e.g. Dawkins really gives you a concise and easy to digest view on Evolutionary Game Theory.

As for New Scientists, most of it is rubbish. Some of it is interesting every now and then, but for the large part, it's not that good, and the focus lately has been on physics (uncertainty principle not being uncertain etc)

Nature is a real journal, although I probably wouldn't understand any of it.

Research papers?? Good luck trying to understand them at this stage :p:
x.beth.x
Someone told me those sorts of questions were just rumours - not real questions asked.

I think it'd be interesting so see where that conversation actually led to :p:

They are real questions. People who applied to Cambridge last year from our school had a chat with us. They do lead somewhere.

E.g. storage of starch in a banana, how it is stored or transported to the site of storage?? i.e. core and rind etc etc
DrDomDom

You're...very well read.

I've hardly done any. :frown: No idea what I'd talk about in interview, probably medical ethics... sadly that's not really a scientific issue. :frown:
Reply 445
Toiletpaper8
Those books simplify a lot of complicated scientific ideas, e.g. Dawkins really gives you a concise and easy to digest view on Evolutionary Game Theory.

As for New Scientists, most of it is rubbish. Some of it is interesting every now and then, but for the large part, it's not that good, and the focus lately has been on physics (uncertainty principle not being uncertain etc)

Nature is a real journal, although I probably wouldn't understand any of it.

Research papers?? Good luck trying to understand them at this stage :p:

hmm, perhaps...

NS is quite good catching up on quite basic ideas, also they give you the links to papers which is pretty good:cool:

i don't think the research papers are that bad... they cut out the narritive so is nice and concise...
Calumcalum
I've hardly done any. :frown: No idea what I'd talk about in interview, probably medical ethics... sadly that's not really a scientific issue. :frown:

In that case, let the interviewers control the direction of the interview. Although you'll miss opportunities such as: "So, what area of medicine interests you?" etc...

With Oxford though, the hard bit, I would imagine, is getting the interview :wink:
Reply 447
Toiletpaper8
They are real questions. People who applied to Cambridge last year from our school had a chat with us. They do lead somewhere.

E.g. storage of starch in a banana, how it is stored or transported to the site of storage?? i.e. core and rind etc etc

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2008/10/why-do-bananas-glow-blue.html?DCMP=ILC-hmts&nsref=specrt13_head_Blue%20bananas

:p:
Toiletpaper8

I know - that's what I meant. I do actually think it would be interesting. There's so many possibilities of where it could lead to.
DrDomDom

You're...very well read.

they make us mere mortals look bad

That's quite interesting actually. I assume the chemical fragments absorb light in the UV range and emit in the visible.
Toiletpaper8

I asked that question in a mock interview today... everyone thought I was just weird :biggrin:
Toiletpaper8
In that case, let the interviewers control the direction of the interview. Although you'll miss opportunities such as: "So, what area of medicine interests you?" etc...

With Oxford though, the hard bit, I would imagine, is getting the interview :wink:

But what will I do if they do ask what interests me? :redface:
And do they not interview that many? I wonder how many interviewees there are per place...
Aiex
hmm, perhaps...

NS is quite good catching up on quite basic ideas, also they give you the links to papers which is pretty good:cool:

i don't think the research papers are that bad... they cut out the narritive so is nice and concise...

The extract is as far as it goes when I read that stuff :p:
Calumcalum
But what will I do if they do ask what interests me? :redface:
And do they not interview that many? I wonder how many interviewees there are per place...

You could say:

"I am interested in EVERYTHING! :proud:"

Mmm, but more realistically:

"I find the subject as a whole very interesting, but I don't have any specific areas which I am most interested in at the moment. Hopefully I will be able to develop an interest in a particular area at medical school"

Or something that sounds less cheesy, I'm just thinking on the spot here :p:
Toiletpaper8
You could say:

"I am interested in EVERYTHING! :proud:"

Lolll I would look SO smug saying that! :biggrin:

Mmm, but more realistically:

"I find the subject as a whole very interesting, but I don't have any specific areas which I am most interested in at the moment. Hopefully I will be able to develop an interest in a particular area at medical school"

Or something that sounds less cheesy, I'm just thinking on the spot here :p:

Hehe fair enough, I mean there's certain areas that interest me, I just haven't really researched them... I have other things to be doing!
I'm a bit worried I'm not interested enough in medicine to be a doctor/get into medical school. :frown:
Reply 456
Calumcalum

Hehe fair enough, I mean there's certain areas that interest me, I just haven't really researched them... I have other things to be doing!
I'm a bit worried I'm not interested enough in medicine to be a doctor/get into medical school. :frown:

that's always the difficulty... it's a bid strange medicine at oxbridge, i think they want people who love science and maybe research but it's a course for medicine, not sciene lol
Calumcalum

To be fair most medical applicants don't research this stuff anyway. Most applicants, if I may dare venture, don't even have an interest in an area of medicine. It shouldn't take long to just read up on something though. It doesn't have to be a book. It could just be an article in New Scientist or summit. There was a recent one I think, on Schizophrenia and people's rights, and a while back there was an article on how carbon-monoxide can be good for you. This is why I dislike New Scientist. It doesn't go into detail.

It just says stuff like: "Wow, so and so has discovered the cure for cancer."

And we're all going... "And.... ...."

But Oxbridge are somewhat different, especially with the science-based interview and course.

I'm sure you'll get into medical school though :yep:
Aiex
that's always the difficulty... it's a bid strange medicine at oxbridge, i think they want people who love science and maybe research but it's a course for medicine, not sciene lol

Which is why it's essential that you pick a course which suits you. I'm considering academic research as an option :p:
Power, Sex, Suicide by Nick Lane, sounds good, i knwo someone who has read it and says its good. gonna order now (amazon :wink:
anyone know any others, i.e. more geared towards medicine?

Latest

Trending

Trending