The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

motiv3
hehehe beat me to it again :P

Haha, just about! And I love how we both chose sodium carbonate, it seems to be the best and most well-known base after all :yup:
Reply 1361
Sanjetti
I asked for voltage though, not current.

I know. V = Power/Current

can I know the answer?
Reply 1362
Sanjetti
Haha, just about! And I love how we both chose sodium carbonate, it seems to be the best and most well-known base after all :yup:

its the first one that popped into my head. Also we were doing weak acids and strong bases today in chemistry and so bases were already on my mind :P
ajdj
I know. V = Power/Current

can I know the answer?

Ok since I haven't given any information on current you have to go on Energy and Voltage.

Energy you can work out by multiplying power and time.

The main thrust of this question is the formula E=QV, so V= E/Q. Although, thinking about it, it might just have been my exam board (OCR) that covered that?
Reply 1364
no we covered that too for AQA

this is what i did:

5x10^12 KW = 5x10^15 W

V= E/Q

P= E/t

Pt=E

therefore, V = Pt / Q

sub in values

V = 5x10^15 x 10 / 4x10^8

V= 1.25x10^8V
motiv3
no we covered that too for AQA

this is what i did:

5x10^12 KW = 5x10^15 W

V= E/Q

P= E/t

Pt=E

therefore, V = Pt / Q

sub in values

V = 5x10^15 x 10 / 4x10^8

V= 1.25x10^8V

Yup spot on (well that's what I got anyway :smile:).
sohanshah
May I remind you all Medics need A2 Chemistry, so they're bound to ask more than GCSE Chemistry!!

may i remind you they list out the topics that will be covered in the test and that does not incldue A2 or AS chemistry
Reply 1367
Shayilalraya
may i remind you they list out the topics that will be covered in the test and that does not incldue A2 or AS chemistry

tbh not to be rude but sohanshah was simply helping and not trying to catch us out. Although it says the BMAT tests GCSE have u done the paper that mentions atrioventricular and semilunar valves. Isn't that post gcse i.e. A-lvl?
jonnyofengland
Hey all,

Tried my first timed essay this evening and I just thought I'd post it up here to see what you all think.

Title: You can only believe in what you know to be true.

Essay: Science is based on theories, arrived at when all other possible theories have been disproved. However, they are still not conclusive. If, as the statement suggests, you can only believe in what you know to be true then Science would break down, and with it the progression based on key hypotheses.
[Like your introduuction, but disporving all other possibilties is not the only way to prove something is it ?]

Nothing in Science can be proven to be true, only the opposite is possible. [Again, im not so sure about this part, I think your making to big of a genrilisation, I would prehaps say "Most of the time, nothing....."
In practice therefore, it would be impossible to apply the above statement to Science, as we would have very few things we could definitely believe in.

Consider evolution; natural selection, along with fossils, has made this a widely-accepted belief throughout the Scientific world. However, it cannot be proven. [Prehaps mention here although its not 100% proven, there is evidence which make it very likley, such as the evolution of the Skeletal structure of the horse, if i remember correctly from GCSE Bio :biggrin: ] To just disregard this theory however would be absurd, and severely limit the progression of the Biological Sciences.

Their is also a change in beliefs over time - from classical physics to quantum theory, for example. While some areas of classical physics have since been proven to be wrong, the use of them still contributed to advancing Science and ultimately led to quantum theory. [I like this paragraph]

There are other factors that also affect beliefs. For instance, the media now plays a large role. After the controversy linking the MMR vaccine and and autism, many people believed in the link even now that it has been categorically proven to be wrong. [Again, good]

In summary, to only believe in what we know to be true would seriously limit the uses of science, and also hamper it's future progression. [Good]

You've only argued against the statement, not for it.!!!
The question asked for a unified essay !!!!!!!!

I like most of your points, but you need to put them all in 1 paragraph, and you only really need 2 point at max. I would prehaps use evolution theory, and classical physics to quantum theory as the main points, but the MMR one is also quite good.

Without arguing the other side, youd score quite low, around 3 i think

OK, ive never really marked an essay before, so this is just my opnion so what i say could be easily wrong !

Could you help me out on my essay: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=15103888&postcount=1260
Reply 1369
Guys u know if these are BMAT essays please state the bullet points they give because then we can make sure u've included them as well as ur overall essay.
Shayilalraya

I don;t know what the hell your revision has included thus far, but I for sure, know they put AS and A2 questions in for Chem and sometimes Biology. So seriously, I suggest you listen to me instead of arguing.
did anyone work out the card question or did we all just give up on it?
hang on a sec, i'll post up a logical way of working it out...
Hey, kinda new to this.. but hope no-one minds someone new joining in...
I have a section 3 q that i was a little stuck on, and was wondering what ideas you guys could come up with:

Doctors make the worst patients
What do you understand by this? Provide examples for when docs make good, and when they make bad patients? What does this suggest about doctors compassion and empathy towards their patients?

I was a little stuck on examples for this.. would be glad for any help.. Aaah can't believe theres less than a week. Hope everyone elses preps going well.

xxxx
eurgh, sorry, if i put up the problem again, then the 3rd statement was sposed to be by person 3. sorry, i didn't spot that mistake, without which it doesn't make sense.
1: Either I, 2 or 4 have the King
2: 1 has the king and 4 has the queen.
3: Neither one nor 3 have the Jack
4: I have the King and 3 has the Jack.
everyone is lying cept the person with the jack
OK, answers for the question, highlight to read (sorry aout the mistake, again)

4 must be lying, if they're telling the truth, then they don't have the jack. paradox. therefore, as what htey've said is false, 3 doesn't have the jack
therefore, 3's statement is falst. so either 1 or 3 has the jack.
as we know that 3 is lying, 1 has the jack.
Medicine Man
did anyone work out the card question or did we all just give up on it?
The one about the cards showing any number from 0 - 650? I couldn't do that one at all.

Is it possible to get 000 - 650 or just 0 - 650. That question is so ambiguous. I'd like to know the method to anyone who has successfully understood the answer to this one.

After doing that particular specimen paper, I feel a bit better about Section 1. I might not be doing as well as some of you with the results some of you guys have posted but I'm doing well enough to get me past the 5 boundary when I convert my practice marks, which is good enough for me lol! Whether the conversion marks will remain similar, I'm not sure. I guess it depends how you are on the day. I'd like to add how I'm glad only one of my unis uses the BMAT because at this stage with my progress, I'd be a fool to risk more than 1 of 4 of my choices on a test I'm this nervous about. I'm pretty sure I'll end up saying the same thing after the test too...
which page is the card quesgion on?
!MEna
The one about the cards showing any number from 0 - 650? I couldn't do that one at all.

Is it possible to get 000 - 650 or just 0 - 650. That question is so ambiguous. I'd like to know the method to anyone who has successfully understood the answer to this one.

After doing that particular specimen paper, I feel a bit better about Section 1. I might not be doing as well as some of you with the results some of you guys have posted but I'm doing well enough to get me past the 5 boundary when I convert my practice marks, which is good enough for me lol! Whether the conversion marks will remain similar, I'm not sure. I guess it depends how you are on the day. I'd like to add how I'm glad only one of my unis uses the BMAT because at this stage with my progress, I'd be a fool to risk more than 1 of 4 of my choices on a test I'm this nervous about. I'm pretty sure I'll end up saying the same thing after the test too...

what did you get in specimen
orangesmarties

Doctors make the worst patients
What do you understand by this? Provide examples for when docs make good, and when they make bad patients? What does this suggest about doctors compassion and empathy towards their patients?

I was a little stuck on examples for this.. would be glad for any help.. Aaah can't believe theres less than a week. Hope everyone elses preps going well.

xxxx

hmmm.....Where did you get this question from ? This is a bit random, and id probably aviod it if it came up.

Good paitents : Understand the process of what is going on if their having treatment, less time explaining the medical side of things, if problems came up ie Delay in a surgery, then they would be more understanding as they have an understanding of the NHS Structure

Bad Points: They may want a specific treatment/medicine done or given in a specific way, which may cause conflit with the doctor in charge / prehaps off-putting to newer doctors by giving commands on what the doctors doing wrong

Latest

Trending

Trending