The Student Room Group

The Kite Runner - linking to political and social protest

For anyone doing this text at aqa a level English lit b political and social protest: just wondering how you're finding the Kite Runner? I love the book but I'm struggling to link it to social and political protest?!? Bc it seems more like a personal atonement novel than a purposeful protest with all the characteristics present in other protest texts? If it's a protest, who's it against? Amir himself? Obviously it's against the Soviet invasion and Taliban and stuff but that doesn't explain the Hassan stuff which I think is more central. I suppose I'm struggling to link it to a genre I don't think it fits into. Anyone else finding this/ have any ideas? Thanks :smile:
I terms of Hassan, he himself is a protest. That s c e n e in chapter 7 is a microcosm for the some of the events of the novel. Hassan is afghanistan being 'taken over' by Assef who is the Soviet Union, whilst Amir, who is America, stands on the sideline despite being able to potentially intervene and save Hassan / afghanistan.

Also a major aspect of Social and Political Protest is the idea of overthrowing corruptness. Sohrab displays with beautifully when he saves Amir from Assef. Despite being abused and silenced by Assef, Sohrab is able to fight back.

Also, the lack of a women's voice in the novel can be commented on. Religion is also portested against with Hosseini protesting that the Taliban are not truly religious and are manipulating it for their own selfish needs, compare the stadium scene and when Amir rediscovers his religion once he has Sohrab.

To be fair, i am also struggling with linking it to the course but these are some of my ideas, hopefully it helps a least a little bit.
Reply 2
Original post by olirichards001
I terms of Hassan, he himself is a protest. That s c e n e in chapter 7 is a microcosm for the some of the events of the novel. Hassan is afghanistan being 'taken over' by Assef who is the Soviet Union, whilst Amir, who is America, stands on the sideline despite being able to potentially intervene and save Hassan / afghanistan.

Also a major aspect of Social and Political Protest is the idea of overthrowing corruptness. Sohrab displays with beautifully when he saves Amir from Assef. Despite being abused and silenced by Assef, Sohrab is able to fight back.

Also, the lack of a women's voice in the novel can be commented on. Religion is also portested against with Hosseini protesting that the Taliban are not truly religious and are manipulating it for their own selfish needs, compare the stadium scene and when Amir rediscovers his religion once he has Sohrab.

To be fair, i am also struggling with linking it to the course but these are some of my ideas, hopefully it helps a least a little bit.

Thanks so much!! this is super helpful and some fab ideas :smile: interesting about the women (always frustrating that some great books feel it's ok to largely miss out a whole gender and yet deserve study at GCSE or a level!) - would you say the lack of female voices mirrors sexism and invisibility of women in Afghan culture? Or is that too much of a generalisation or too fair to Hosseini who may just have forgot to put many in (although I love Soraya!)? Good to find someone else doing protest. What other texts do you do?
Original post by xxxooo
Thanks so much!! this is super helpful and some fab ideas :smile: interesting about the women (always frustrating that some great books feel it's ok to largely miss out a whole gender and yet deserve study at GCSE or a level!) - would you say the lack of female voices mirrors sexism and invisibility of women in Afghan culture? Or is that too much of a generalisation or too fair to Hosseini who may just have forgot to put many in (although I love Soraya!)? Good to find someone else doing protest. What other texts do you do?

I would say that the lack of female voices mirrors sexism and invisibility of women in Afghan culture. This can also be backed up by the fact that Soraya's mum was made to stop singing, depsite having a beautiful singing voice, when she married Soraya's dad. Soraya is the expection as she does have a voice but that can be attributed to the fact that she grew up in America as she too fled Afghanistan to escape the war. Also the fact that Hassan's mum is attacked and mutilated for her beauty and open sexuality can show how women who are / try to be independent are punished severely.

I also do The Handmaids Tale and William Blake :smile:, wbu?
Reply 4
I would say that the lack of female voices mirrors sexism and invisibility of women in Afghan culture. This can also be backed up by the fact that Soraya's mum was made to stop singing, depsite having a beautiful singing voice, when she married Soraya's dad. Soraya is the expection as she does have a voice but that can be attributed to the fact that she grew up in America as she too fled Afghanistan to escape the war. Also the fact that Hassan's mum is attacked and mutilated for her beauty and open sexuality can show how women who are / try to be independent are punished severely.

I also do The Handmaids Tale and William Blake :smile:, wbu?

Ooo yes such good points! Thanks! Cool, I do Blake and A Doll's House. You don't know what came up last year for this paper do you?
Original post by xxxooo
Ooo yes such good points! Thanks! Cool, I do Blake and A Doll's House. You don't know what came up last year for this paper do you?

n o i d e a lmao, i've been trying to find out myself. Ik Blake was on religion though
Reply 6
n o i d e a lmao, i've been trying to find out myself. Ik Blake was on religion though

ahh fair enough, ok thanks :smile:
Hiya i'm also doing the Kite Runner. I was just wondering if anyone had any good resource materials or sources that they could share for annotations or anything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending