The Student Room Group

Literary criticisms

Hi there, I am about to start a degree in English Literature, and I'm trying to be as prepared as possible.

Could someone explain how literary criticisms are used within, and part of, an essay? I understand they are to be used, but don't understand what they are, or where to find them.
Original post by LiteraryGeek
Hi there, I am about to start a degree in English Literature, and I'm trying to be as prepared as possible.

Could someone explain how literary criticisms are used within, and part of, an essay? I understand they are to be used, but don't understand what they are, or where to find them.

I am sorry to bother u , but could u pls give me any advise etc u have for me: i am doing a-level english lit.....i do comedy and social, political protests as my 2 courses..i am in my 2nd , final yr currently

-and i dont have higher level knowledge than a year of a-level but literary criticisms are used to support your argument, either directly or so you can rebut and strengthen ur argument indirectly...a criticism i suppose has to be from a reliable enough source, the author themselves...educated individuals who have wrote books on related theories or on authors/books/linked stuff that ur writing about and other relevant individuals...critics of film adaptations..readers...who u use just depends on the point ur going to make.....u could use JSTOR and archives and british library--not sure if the last 2 were called that or something similar...or u could get them directly from books, articles from library...or like when u look online for these criticisms and u see something on wikipedia about it and a book is mentioned on it ---look into it , as the actual texts etc tend to be more reliable.....hope this helps
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending