The Student Room Group

A-level English Edexcel Coursework

Hi im starting my coursework for edexcel english a-level but i’m a bit baffled on what books i want to study. Does anyone know if a thousand splendid suns and little women would be allowed to compare and if so what themes I could compare them with or can i compare novels by the same author? E.g a thousand splendid suns and the kite runner. Thank you :smile:
I think so long as there’s a thematic link which allows you to make connections between the texts, you should be good. I wrote mine on Wuthering Heights and The Bloody Chamber (short stories) and decided that I wanted to delve into the presentation of imprisonment. This covered literal imprisonment, setting, narrative, education, structure, and more, so it was a good choice.

I can’t attest to the link between the two mentioned texts, though I would advise against the same author (I’m unsure if it’s prohibited anyway) simply because there’ll then be no way to use the contexts in which they were written as a starting point for comparison.

A Thousand Splendid Suns is part of Women and Society, and Little Women (from what I know, which may be very little) looks at the relationships between the female characters within, so perhaps a good place to begin is looking at how each author presents relationships between women.
Reply 2
Original post by TimTomTalahano
I think so long as there’s a thematic link which allows you to make connections between the texts, you should be good. I wrote mine on Wuthering Heights and The Bloody Chamber (short stories) and decided that I wanted to delve into the presentation of imprisonment. This covered literal imprisonment, setting, narrative, education, structure, and more, so it was a good choice.

I can’t attest to the link between the two mentioned texts, though I would advise against the same author (I’m unsure if it’s prohibited anyway) simply because there’ll then be no way to use the contexts in which they were written as a starting point for comparison.

A Thousand Splendid Suns is part of Women and Society, and Little Women (from what I know, which may be very little) looks at the relationships between the female characters within, so perhaps a good place to begin is looking at how each author presents relationships between women.

Ohh that makes so much more sense, tysm!!
Reply 3
Original post by hanni_nj
Hi im starting my coursework for edexcel english a-level but i’m a bit baffled on what books i want to study. Does anyone know if a thousand splendid suns and little women would be allowed to compare and if so what themes I could compare them with or can i compare novels by the same author? E.g a thousand splendid suns and the kite runner. Thank you :smile:

I did neither of these books, but i did wuthering heights and the bloody chamber, and had a broad question on oppression. I got an A*, therefore i'm extremely familiar with constructing an essay including feminist critics, and analysis if you went in that direction with your question. If you reach out i don't mind helping you with coursework.

Actual Answer: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/English%20Literature/2015/forms-and-administration/a-level-literature-coursework-guidance-update.pdf this has a list of all the books recommended by the exam board. I don't see the kite runner on there but a thousand splendid suns is. I assume the exam board put this together to show what books are easier to find critics, and context to reach the assessment objectives. I'm pretty sure you can probably use another book, but it would make it much more harder for you to find relevant critical information about the book itself.
Reply 4
Of course the final call would be with your teacher, but I'd imagine if you can find similar themes within both texts that you'd be able to use them? I wouldn't suggest two texts by the same author as this may complicate the process of comparing the two books. A Thousand Splendid Suns is set during a prolonged period of conflict in Afghanistan and Little Women takes place during the American Civil War - perhaps women's experiences of war could be a point of comparison. You could also consider mother-daughter relationships or representations of marriage in the two books.
Original post by hanni_nj

Hi! Someone in my class did Little Women so it should be fine! The exam board does have some banned or "advised against" books. For the same author think I wouldn't recommend it. I considered doing it but it makes the whole process harder as it limits the level of comparison particularly due to the influence of context. If you do the same author, you're limited on discussion and comparison of context so it's probably not for the best. But then again, there are no strict rules against it. For themes, maybe something about women? With my coursework, I did an initial plan in which I outlined potential linked themes/topic/genre and then as I started planning out key points and ideas from the texts it helped narrow down which theme would be the best, so it may take a little bit of work to help you know which theme you feel you can right about best.
Original post by misseuropa
Hi! Someone in my class did Little Women so it should be fine! The exam board does have some banned or "advised against" books. For the same author think I wouldn't recommend it. I considered doing it but it makes the whole process harder as it limits the level of comparison particularly due to the influence of context. If you do the same author, you're limited on discussion and comparison of context so it's probably not for the best. But then again, there are no strict rules against it. For themes, maybe something about women? With my coursework, I did an initial plan in which I outlined potential linked themes/topic/genre and then as I started planning out key points and ideas from the texts it helped narrow down which theme would be the best, so it may take a little bit of work to help you know which theme you feel you can right about best.

Hiya, I'm starting my coursework now and was wondering what book to compare to 'a thousand splendid suns'. This was super helpful but what other books could you possibly recommend?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending