The Student Room Group

Cambridge, 9696 Case studies and examples in the longer essay style questions

Hi,

I'm self studying and taking the modular route for Cambridge international A level in geography so am taking the AS papers 1 and 2 this summer. I'm a bit confused about the longer essay style questions in section B of both papers which ask you to refer to examples to support your response. The mark schemes say that candidates are free to explore either one example in depth or several. The problem I'm having is that the syllabus states the case studies you need to learn, approx one per topic within the the broader themes, but the questions on the papers seem to require you to mention examples not specifically detailed on the syllabus. Eg a question from the June 2018 paper asked: With the aid of examples, discuss the view that wind belts are the most important influence on
the atmospheric transfer of energy. [15] However, the syllabus makes no mention of required examples or case studies relating to wind belts, just stating:

"Case study: candidates must study an urban area which shows the effects of human activity on climate: temperature (heat island), humidity, precipitation and winds." How are you supposed to figure out what examples and case studies you need to learn?! TIA to anyone who can shed any light.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending