The Student Room Group

History degree essay question

Starting in september doing history, looking at advice on how essays work compared to a-level?
Original post by civicpride2506
Starting in september doing history, looking at advice on how essays work compared to a-level?

Might depend where you're going. A Cambridge tutor once told me that he and his colleagues spend the first year trying to physically beat the hated PEEL structure out of new students.
Original post by civicpride2506

Hi @civicpride2506,
I recently graduated form my undergrad studying History and Law and thought I would offer my experience.
I studied Scottish highers and advanced highers, not a-level qualifications but they were similar in terms of essay writing.
Your writing style will adapt and develop throughout your uni degree. The skills you used of incorporating sources and historians will be useful but what may change is how you use them in your essays. Their will be guidance on how to answer essay assignments which I encourage you to engage with. Don't be disheartened if you go from writing amazing history essays in school to having a harsher grade in your first few assignments. Many students find it a bit of a blow but in reality most people are in the same boat because you are all learning new reference styles etc. Your first year is a great opportunity to start honing your skills and take all the feedback you get and learn from it.
Try not too stress or worry about it and I wish you all the best for starting in September.
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending