The Student Room Group

Essay help - CIE IGCSE English Literature

Hello, I was wondering whether any A* English Literature students on this platform could kindly provide me with some tips on writing extract-based/whole-text essays, or, preferably, send me one of their essays as an example?

Would someone correct me in saying that extract-based and whole-text essays are different in style? Personally, it feels that way for me when I write them. The extract-based ones seem to require tighter, more concise analyses, whereas, in whole-text essays, I find myself writing more loosely (describing rather than quoting), chiefly because I have substantially less evidence to support my points. Is this supposed to be the case or should I really be wanting to achieve the same concentrations of quotes in my paragraphs? Also, how long should paragraphs really be?

I feel fairly lost with writing essays in general. I understand so many are written, but I can never find anyone else's. I greatly benefit from seeing the structure, the patterns, and the style of good essays. I've only seen one exemplary essay, but it was a game-changer! Any advice regarding essay writing tips is welcomed too. Or, instead of someone sending me their essays, could someone send me a website containing some? Thanks
Original post by bbenjamin
Hello, I was wondering whether any A* English Literature students on this platform could kindly provide me with some tips on writing extract-based/whole-text essays, or, preferably, send me one of their essays as an example?

Would someone correct me in saying that extract-based and whole-text essays are different in style? Personally, it feels that way for me when I write them. The extract-based ones seem to require tighter, more concise analyses, whereas, in whole-text essays, I find myself writing more loosely (describing rather than quoting), chiefly because I have substantially less evidence to support my points. Is this supposed to be the case or should I really be wanting to achieve the same concentrations of quotes in my paragraphs? Also, how long should paragraphs really be?

I feel fairly lost with writing essays in general. I understand so many are written, but I can never find anyone else's. I greatly benefit from seeing the structure, the patterns, and the style of good essays. I've only seen one exemplary essay, but it was a game-changer! Any advice regarding essay writing tips is welcomed too. Or, instead of someone sending me their essays, could someone send me a website containing some? Thanks

I can provide you with some general tips and advice on writing extract-based/whole-text essays in English Literature.

Understand the question and plan your essay: Before you start writing, make sure you fully understand the question and what it's asking you to do. Plan your essay by making a list of key points and evidence that you want to include in each paragraph.

Use the PEE/PQE structure: In English Literature essays, it's important to use a clear and concise structure for your paragraphs. The PEE/PQE structure can be helpful - Point, Evidence, Explanation/Quote, or Point, Quote, Explanation. Make sure you're using a relevant quote from the text to support your point.

Analyze the language: When writing about a specific extract or whole text, analyze the language used by the author. Look for literary devices, such as imagery, symbolism, and foreshadowing, and explain how they contribute to the meaning of the text.

Consider the context: When writing about a text, it's important to consider the historical, social, and cultural context in which it was written. This can help you understand the author's intentions and the themes of the text.

Use topic sentences: Each paragraph should have a clear topic sentence that summarizes the main point you're making. This can help keep your writing focused and organized.

Write concisely: Avoid unnecessary words or phrases that don't add to the meaning of your essay. Write in a clear and concise manner, using academic language and avoiding colloquialisms.

Regarding your question about the differences between extract-based and whole-text essays, the style of writing can vary depending on the task. Extract-based essays require a more focused analysis of a specific passage, while whole-text essays require a broader understanding of the entire text. In extract-based essays, you may be able to use fewer quotes because you're analyzing a smaller section of the text, but you still need to use relevant evidence to support your points. In whole-text essays, you may need to include more quotes and examples to illustrate your arguments, but you should still focus on making clear and concise points.

The length of paragraphs can vary depending on the content, but a good rule of thumb is to aim for 4-6 sentences per paragraph. Each paragraph should have a clear focus and contribute to the overall argument of your essay.

There are many online resources available that can provide you with examples of good essays and tips for writing. You can search for English Literature essay examples on websites such as JSTOR or academic journals. You may also want to look for essay writing guides or tutorials on academic writing websites or university websites.

Remember that writing essays is a skill that takes practice and patience. Keep working on developing your writing skills, and don't be afraid to ask your teacher or tutor for feedback and guidance.
Reply 2
Hey! Not sure if you're still around/in y11 but I'm in the same boat. What are you doing? I'm doing crumbs, the namesake and ted hughes and it is literally the bane of my existence lol -- here are some resources I found that are pretty good! PM me and I'll send you a link to the r/igcse discord which is also really helpful :smile:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1juTLIe0Lv_UKcCvfOvbI9_FcOt-jQ_0M/view
https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/English-Literature/GCSE/Notes/AQA/An-Inspector-Calls/Exam-Preparation/How%20to%20plan%20and%20write%20a%20top%20mark%20essay.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending