The Student Room Group

A-Level Maths?

Hello, I would love to apply to oxford uni to study chemistry, however I am not currently studying A-Level maths and it is required subject in order to apply for chemistry. Is it possible to teach yourself A-Level maths in a year and a bit? I know there are people who do it but is it worth it and is it sustainable on top of my 3 subjects I do now? If anyone is able to help I’d really appreciate it, thanks!!
Reply 1
Original post by Student01234
Hello, I would love to apply to oxford uni to study chemistry, however I am not currently studying A-Level maths and it is required subject in order to apply for chemistry. Is it possible to teach yourself A-Level maths in a year and a bit? I know there are people who do it but is it worth it and is it sustainable on top of my 3 subjects I do now? If anyone is able to help I’d really appreciate it, thanks!!

What was your GCSE maths grade?
Original post by Sir Cumference
What was your GCSE maths grade?

I got an 8 in GCSE Maths but I also got a B in the Level 2 Further Maths course
Reply 3
I got an 8 in GCSE Maths but I also got a B in the Level 2 Further Maths course

Self teaching can be very hard and it depends how much work you can put in without being assigned work by a teacher. Since you only require 3 A Levels for any uni offer, have you considered dropping one of your subjects and replacing it with maths? Although this may not be an option for you if it means you're left with 2 A Levels that you're learning in school.

Your grade 8 suggests that you have good GCSE foundations but it's very hard to say at this stage how you will find self-teaching A Level maths - it could be easy for you or too hard but it's worth giving it a go and see how you find it. If in the early stages you're struggling to find the motivation to learn new topics and try loads of questions then there's a good chance that you will struggle.
Original post by Sir Cumference
Self teaching can be very hard and it depends how much work you can put in without being assigned work by a teacher. Since you only require 3 A Levels for any uni offer, have you considered dropping one of your subjects and replacing it with maths? Although this may not be an option for you if it means you're left with 2 A Levels that you're learning in school.

Your grade 8 suggests that you have good GCSE foundations but it's very hard to say at this stage how you will find self-teaching A Level maths - it could be easy for you or too hard but it's worth giving it a go and see how you find it. If in the early stages you're struggling to find the motivation to learn new topics and try loads of questions then there's a good chance that you will struggle.

Thank you for your response. I completely understand what you mean and I don’t doubt for a second that it would be tough, but I really don’t want to drop any of my subjects, I know that it would obviously make my life so much easier but I enjoy the 3 that I am doing but I also want to apply to Oxford, I don’t know if that is a good enough reason to go through doing A-Level Maths, whether I drop a subject or teach it to myself. There are maths teachers at my sixth form that I would be able to get help from, so I wouldn’t be completely alone doing it. Thanks again for your help, I think I will give it some more thought and if I’m not feeling motivated to do it as you said then I will have to drop it. Thank you.
Reply 5
Thank you for your response. I completely understand what you mean and I don’t doubt for a second that it would be tough, but I really don’t want to drop any of my subjects, I know that it would obviously make my life so much easier but I enjoy the 3 that I am doing but I also want to apply to Oxford, I don’t know if that is a good enough reason to go through doing A-Level Maths, whether I drop a subject or teach it to myself. There are maths teachers at my sixth form that I would be able to get help from, so I wouldn’t be completely alone doing it. Thanks again for your help, I think I will give it some more thought and if I’m not feeling motivated to do it as you said then I will have to drop it. Thank you.

No problem. If you do decide to self-teach then I highly recommend using the maths forum to ask questions whenever you're stuck. Lots of self-teachers (including myself) have used that forum in the past when don't have a teacher to help them.

Quick Reply

Latest