Durham
Visit website

Durham university - Josephine Butler 2020 offers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by catbelle
Does anyone know if there's a choir at Josephine Butler? :smile:

Yes! We have a chamber choir!

There are also plenty of university-wide choirs and music groups you can join.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Brave_Sir_Robin
Ugh tell me about it! I once managed to bake bread so salty it genuinely made me choke

I've applied for anthropology :smile: What about you?

lmao and I have never even attempted to bake anything else. At least you tried 😭

oh that's so interesting!
law
This may seem like a weird question, but is it a genuine issue for humanities students at Josephine Butler who have to walk relatively far to get to lectures etc?
Doesn’t seem to be too much of an issue apparently, it is only about 15 - 20 mins walk down the hill and you can get a bus from the park and ride which is at the entrance of the college if you are a bit late or weather is poor.
Reply 64
Original post by Lydia.Mx
Hi, I'm Lydia! :smile:
I have applied for Geography (BA)
My interests are musical theatre, I am also obsessed with crime TV shows & This Country haha.
Butler was my preference - I just really loved the feel of it & its surroundings, plus everyone seemed very friendly! However, I'm not sure if I am going to put Durham as my firm or insurance yet but thought I would say hi anyway!

****ing love this country ahahha
Original post by Anonymous
This may seem like a weird question, but is it a genuine issue for humanities students at Josephine Butler who have to walk relatively far to get to lectures etc?

No, I haven't heard of anyone that finds it a particular problem :smile: There's the bus as mentioned above and generally you get used to it very quickly! Even the education students whose department is literally the other side of Durham walk a lot of the time (although they tend get the bus in bad weather, whereas a lot of us still walk as it's shorter haha)
do you really need to take the bus? How long would it take to walk, if say, you were to walk to the Law building from Butler? :smile:
do you really need to take the bus? How long would it take to walk, if say, you were to walk to the Law building from Butler? :smile:

Law building is about 15 minutes, the bus doesn't really drop you that near it so likely wouldn't be quicker. Ultimately you absolutely do not need to take the bus, the only time I've got the bus to lectures has been when I needed the bus for something later on in the day so I may as well (because you pay per day). Everywhere within Durham is within a 45 minute walk of college except the massive Tesco in gilesgate, and there's no particular need to go there if you don't want to (I've literally never been despite shopping at Tesco most weeks)
Original post by Lemur14
Law building is about 15 minutes, the bus doesn't really drop you that near it so likely wouldn't be quicker. Ultimately you absolutely do not need to take the bus, the only time I've got the bus to lectures has been when I needed the bus for something later on in the day so I may as well (because you pay per day). Everywhere within Durham is within a 45 minute walk of college except the massive Tesco in gilesgate, and there's no particular need to go there if you don't want to (I've literally never been despite shopping at Tesco most weeks)

This is brilliant. Also, I remember reading about one of the libraries on the university website (the one that is open 24/7). How far is that from Butler and how long would it take to walk there? Also, does Butler have a library within the site? Thanks for answering my silly questions. x
This is brilliant. Also, I remember reading about one of the libraries on the university website (the one that is open 24/7). How far is that from Butler and how long would it take to walk there? Also, does Butler have a library within the site? Thanks for answering my silly questions. x

That particular library is the building next to the law building so again about 15 mins :smile:
Butler has a small library on site, and also a quiet study area and an IT suite in terms of specific study spaces. The Butler library isn't the greatest in terms of books (silly example since maths doesn't really need books, but there's literally no maths books in there), but it's a nice comfy space with sofas and stuff if you like that kind of place to study :yep:
Original post by elsa02
****ing love this country ahahha

It's class, I'm obsessed haha - have you seen the new series?
Original post by Lemur14
That particular library is the building next to the law building so again about 15 mins :smile:
Butler has a small library on site, and also a quiet study area and an IT suite in terms of specific study spaces. The Butler library isn't the greatest in terms of books (silly example since maths doesn't really need books, but there's literally no maths books in there), but it's a nice comfy space with sofas and stuff if you like that kind of place to study :yep:

this is the best news ever! Thanks for answering my question. Do you know if any Law students from Durham use this site and therefore could be contacted with questions about the department? :smile:
Does Josephine butler do college marriages like some of the other colleges?
this is the best news ever! Thanks for answering my question. Do you know if any Law students from Durham use this site and therefore could be contacted with questions about the department? :smile:

Glad to hear it! I don't know any law students on here unfortunately, but if you ask in the law forum there may be some at Durham?

Does Josephine butler do college marriages like some of the other colleges?

We do! I think some colleges make a bigger thing of it than us, but we still have college families etc. which can be really helpful :smile:
One of the things I'm a little concerned about is actually learning how to cook and prep meals etc - I'm not sure how well I'll transition from maybe cooking once a week to cooking everything myself every day. Would you have any advice? Thank you!
Alot of people just order food from the college bar jb’s cafe when they can’t be bothered. You can look up the menu easily. I think you also get a free? meal every few weeks on ‘mentor’ night, where you have supper with your flat and a college mentor. Maybe a student can explain about that a bit more, it has certainly been very helpful for the person I know there.
Reply 76
Original post by Brave_Sir_Robin
One of the things I'm a little concerned about is actually learning how to cook and prep meals etc - I'm not sure how well I'll transition from maybe cooking once a week to cooking everything myself every day. Would you have any advice? Thank you!

My main advice is making food to freeze. I brought a wok with me, and usually make a big batch of curry during the weekend. (Bolognese is also a good shout!). I then freeze it into 4/5 portions that I can eat throughout the week.
Frozen stuff is always great! There is an Iceland about a 20 minute walk away, which has frozen burgers, buns, pizza, chicken nuggets, chips, and all sorts of things if you just need a quick lunch.
Student cookbooks are also good, but they can often go a little overboard. I have one that I often look into for ideas, and then try and simplify the recipe as much as possible for a lazy person like me!
I also have a waffle maker for breakfast, which is heavily worth investing in. Again, I make batches of batter, that can last up to a week (I recommend buying filtered milk if making big batter batches. Usually helps it to keep much longer). This way, I can make breakfast in under 10 minutes, which is crucial if you sleep in and realise you have 30 minutes until your lecture starts!
Original post by Hugh's Swan
Alot of people just order food from the college bar jb’s cafe when they can’t be bothered. You can look up the menu easily. I think you also get a free? meal every few weeks on ‘mentor’ night, where you have supper with your flat and a college mentor. Maybe a student can explain about that a bit more, it has certainly been very helpful for the person I know there.

Yep! JBs is open for lunch and evening meals. I never really eat out during the evening (too expensive for a poor student like me!) but the option is always there.
And yes, for first years, we currently have mentor night every week. It's a free evening meal, where you talk to a 'Mentor'; usually a postgraduate student or member of the SCR.

So maybe not the healthiest lifestyle, but one that works really well for me. Hope this helps!
Hi guys,

Is anyone doing the residential post offer day on the 24th/25th March?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by fitz02
Hi guys,

Is anyone doing the residential post offer day on the 24th/25th March?

I’m doing it the 23/24, I’m confused I haven’t been charged. Should I have been?
Original post by gracewakefieldd
I’m doing it the 23/24, I’m confused I haven’t been charged. Should I have been?

I had to pay at the end of my booking form after I'd put all my contact details etc x

Quick Reply

Latest