The Student Room Group

integration

the integral of:
(sin(theta))/(cos(theta)-sin(theta))
I just need to know where to begin. does this integral require a substitution or maybe a trig identity to simplify it. Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Reply 1
Original post by chatterclaw73
the integral of:
I just need to know where to begin. does this integral require a substitution or maybe a trig identity to simplify it. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

I have some memory of seeing this, or something very like this, in a question in the past, and there being something clever that makes it straightforward. But I have no idea what that might have been right now.

You could start by multiplying numerator and denominator by cos(theta) + sin(theta) and then use a variety of trig identities and splitting up into several fractions.
FE6D51E4-E5CB-4BD3-BA2D-60E3EC58D1AB.jpg.jpeg
does this help as a starting point?
The first fraction can be integrated, and the second can be rearranged using double angle formulae again.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Dancer2001
FE6D51E4-E5CB-4BD3-BA2D-60E3EC58D1AB.jpg.jpeg
does this help as a starting point?
The first fraction can be integrated, and the second can be rearranged using double angle formulae again.

Yeah, that's the way I did it. Doesn't end up being particularly attractive, but it works.
Original post by Pangol
I have some memory of seeing this, or something very like this, in a question in the past, and there being something clever that makes it straightforward. But I have no idea what that might have been right now.

You could start by multiplying numerator and denominator by cos(theta) + sin(theta) and then use a variety of trig identities and splitting up into several fractions.

I have tried that approach, but it became messy. I will try again and see what happens. Thanks for the quick reply.
It's been a while, but does the substitution t=tan(theta/2) deal with this? https://www.math24.net/weierstrass-substitution/
Original post by dextrous63
It's been a while, but does the substitution t=tan(theta/2) deal with this? https://www.math24.net/weierstrass-substitution/

I have also tried this. Maybe my algebra is lacking. I will try this again also. Thanks once again.
the integral of:

Multiply the fraction by (cos(theta)+sin(theta)) / (cos(theta)+sin(theta))
then
sort out terms and simplify and it will become much easier.
Reply 8
I have tried that approach, but it became messy. I will try again and see what happens. Thanks for the quick reply.

A bit messy, yes, but not unmanagable. It does end up requiring a couple of integrals that are usually found in A level formula books rather than ones that everyone is expected to know.
Reply 9
Here's a nice method:

Let I=cosθcosθsinθ dθ\displaystyle I=\int \frac{\cos \theta}{\cos \theta - \sin\theta} \ d\theta and J=sinθcosθsinθ dθ\displaystyle J = \int \frac{\sin \theta}{\cos \theta - \sin\theta} \ d\theta

Then IJ=cosθsinθcosθsinθ dθ=θ+c\displaystyle I-J = \int \frac{\cos \theta - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta - \sin\theta} \ d\theta = \theta + c

And I+J=cosθ+sinθcosθsinθ dθ\displaystyle I+J = \int \frac{\cos \theta + \sin \theta}{\cos \theta - \sin\theta} \ d\theta

This one can be integrated by noticing that the top is -1 x the derivative of the bottom. Then solve for I and J.
Original post by Sir Cumference
Here's a nice method:

Let I=cosθcosθsinθ dθ\displaystyle I=\int \frac{\cos \theta}{\cos \theta - \sin\theta} \ d\theta and J=sinθcosθsinθ dθ\displaystyle J = \int \frac{\sin \theta}{\cos \theta - \sin\theta} \ d\theta

Then IJ=cosθsinθcosθsinθ dθ=θ+c\displaystyle I-J = \int \frac{\cos \theta - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta - \sin\theta} \ d\theta = \theta + c

And I+J=cosθ+sinθcosθsinθ dθ\displaystyle I+J = \int \frac{\cos \theta + \sin \theta}{\cos \theta - \sin\theta} \ d\theta

This one can be integrated by noticing that the top is -1 x the derivative of the bottom. Then solve for I and J.

Lovely bit of black mathemagic. The calculus hunters would have you burning at the stake if you were to suggest this back in the day.:h:
Reply 11
Here's a nice method:

That's the one I remember seeing! This was a STEP question not too long ago, yes?
Reply 12
Original post by Pangol
That's the one I remember seeing! This was a STEP question not too long ago, yes?

Yes I remember something similar in STEP, not sure it was this particular integral though.
Here's a nice method:

That is a very elegant method. Thank you so much for this.

Quick Reply

Latest