chatterclaw73
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
the integral of:
(sin(theta))/(cos(theta)-sin(theta))
I just need to know where to begin. does this integral require a substitution or maybe a trig identity to simplify it. Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Pangol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by chatterclaw73)
the integral of:
I just need to know where to begin. does this integral require a substitution or maybe a trig identity to simplify it. Thanks in advance for any pointers.
I have some memory of seeing this, or something very like this, in a question in the past, and there being something clever that makes it straightforward. But I have no idea what that might have been right now.

You could start by multiplying numerator and denominator by cos(theta) + sin(theta) and then use a variety of trig identities and splitting up into several fractions.
Dancer2001
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Name:  FE6D51E4-E5CB-4BD3-BA2D-60E3EC58D1AB.jpg.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  50.9 KB
does this help as a starting point?
The first fraction can be integrated, and the second can be rearranged using double angle formulae again.
Last edited by Dancer2001; 1 week ago
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Dancer2001)
Name:  FE6D51E4-E5CB-4BD3-BA2D-60E3EC58D1AB.jpg.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  50.9 KB
does this help as a starting point?
The first fraction can be integrated, and the second can be rearranged using double angle formulae again.
Yeah, that's the way I did it. Doesn't end up being particularly attractive, but it works.
chatterclaw73
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pangol)
I have some memory of seeing this, or something very like this, in a question in the past, and there being something clever that makes it straightforward. But I have no idea what that might have been right now.

You could start by multiplying numerator and denominator by cos(theta) + sin(theta) and then use a variety of trig identities and splitting up into several fractions.
I have tried that approach, but it became messy. I will try again and see what happens. Thanks for the quick reply.
dextrous63
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's been a while, but does the substitution t=tan(theta/2) deal with this? https://www.math24.net/weierstrass-substitution/
chatterclaw73
Rep:
?
(Original post by dextrous63)
It's been a while, but does the substitution t=tan(theta/2) deal with this? https://www.math24.net/weierstrass-substitution/
I have also tried this. Maybe my algebra is lacking. I will try this again also. Thanks once again.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
the integral of:
Multiply the fraction by (cos(theta)+sin(theta)) / (cos(theta)+sin(theta))
then
sort out terms and simplify and it will become much easier.
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have tried that approach, but it became messy. I will try again and see what happens. Thanks for the quick reply.
A bit messy, yes, but not unmanagable. It does end up requiring a couple of integrals that are usually found in A level formula books rather than ones that everyone is expected to know.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Here's a nice method:

Let \displaystyle I=\int \frac{\cos \theta}{\cos \theta - \sin\theta} \ d\theta and \displaystyle J = \int \frac{\sin \theta}{\cos \theta - \sin\theta} \ d\theta

Then \displaystyle I-J = \int \frac{\cos \theta - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta - \sin\theta} \ d\theta = \theta + c

And \displaystyle I+J = \int \frac{\cos \theta + \sin \theta}{\cos \theta - \sin\theta} \ d\theta

This one can be integrated by noticing that the top is -1 x the derivative of the bottom. Then solve for I and J.
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sir Cumference)
Here's a nice method:

Let \displaystyle I=\int \frac{\cos \theta}{\cos \theta - \sin\theta} \ d\theta and \displaystyle J = \int \frac{\sin \theta}{\cos \theta - \sin\theta} \ d\theta

Then \displaystyle I-J = \int \frac{\cos \theta - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta - \sin\theta} \ d\theta = \theta + c

And \displaystyle I+J = \int \frac{\cos \theta + \sin \theta}{\cos \theta - \sin\theta} \ d\theta

This one can be integrated by noticing that the top is -1 x the derivative of the bottom. Then solve for I and J.
Lovely bit of black mathemagic. The calculus hunters would have you burning at the stake if you were to suggest this back in the day.
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Here's a nice method:

That's the one I remember seeing! This was a STEP question not too long ago, yes?
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Pangol)
That's the one I remember seeing! This was a STEP question not too long ago, yes?
Yes I remember something similar in STEP, not sure it was this particular integral though.
chatterclaw73
Rep:
?
Here's a nice method:

That is a very elegant method. Thank you so much for this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (431)
67.77%
No (205)
32.23%

Watched Threads