The Student Room Group

Official TSR thread: A-level and GCSE exams not going ahead in May or June as planned

Scroll to see replies

Cancelled as in they won't take place as originally planned or that they will not take place at all? : (
seconded

op please dont call it selfish when they have worked for their high predicted grades
Original post by Wallflower011
I'm supposed to be taking my GCSEs this year and I'm absolutely livid
My predicted grades are 7s across the board which sounds good but I got 8s and 9s in my mocks so idk what's going to happen there
I'll be fine with 7s if I took the exams myself but I've put in all this work for nothing ugh

Your teachers will update your predicted grades and they will be checked by the government so they are as fair as possible
Original post by Brutal Bee
Cancelled as in they won't take place as originally planned or that they will not take place at all? : (

All we know at the moment is that they aren't going ahead as planned. That could potentially mean they are looking at postponement (although we think this is unlikely), alternative methods of assessment such as online exams, or full cancellation with previous/predicted/mock grades used to formulate your qualifications.

Hopefully there will be press conferences to provide clarity in the coming days/weeks.
imagine working your ass off for the past two years just to be outplayed by a virus
Original post by Jammy Duel
The obvious thing to do is just sit them July/August, or even June, depending on how things progress. In reality there will be some dumb thing like predicted grades carry with half of teachers trying to bump up predicted grades to make them and their schools look better.

They aren't doing tables, so schools won't look better if teachers bump up predicted grades.
Original post by antibody123
seconded

op please dont call it selfish when they have worked for their high predicted grades

Not always the case some teachers over-predict their students so that they can do a certain course or go to a certain uni (also thank God I didn't take My A-level French exam early)
what about year 12 students ? What will we use as our predicted grades? They better not base it off my past mocks :frown:
Reply 88
Original post by gucciclara
How will this work for private candidates

I am a private candidate. It will affect us all, including International schools whose students take UK GCSE and A Level Exams as they have to be sat at the same time as UK candidates. Currently all IB exams unaffected, in fact IB exams, as far as I can remember, have never messed students around. If they knew this was coming why didn't the UK prepare like schools overseas where teachers were ready to go with online classes?
Reply 89
Original post by Ferrograd
I *****ng hope they don't, I'm just hoping they'll just make us have really easy exams or give us predicted grades.

Thats all we can hope forr and if not #BlameBoris. Just need easy examinations or predicted grades to be used.

The only thing is we dont know whats going to happen. Boris just leaving us out here. Do we revise or not? What do we do
Yeah tbh I'm just glad they're taking action at all its going to save lots of lives it just also happens to be frustrating that it has all happened a few months before exams start:frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Charlotte's Web
All we know at the moment is that they aren't going ahead as planned. That could potentially mean they are looking at postponement (although we think this is unlikely), alternative methods of assessment such as online exams, or full cancellation with previous/predicted/mock grades used to formulate your qualifications.

Hopefully there will be press conferences to provide clarity in the coming days/weeks.

So should students carry on revising as usual?
Original post by noconcentration1
its possible they will be as (I'm using GCSEs as an example) we sit our GCSE exams in a non-UK country at the same time as those in the UK, or at least the same day as far as I know, and I think its the same for A levels? Its done to ensure fairness and control over results

I actually lowkey hope so fingers crossed 😫
Original post by Knortfoxx
They aren't doing tables, so schools won't look better if teachers bump up predicted grades.

Just because official tables aren't produced doesn't mean there won't be tables. There are no official tables for universities (or certainly none that anybody cares about) and yet one of the early things a lot of people will do when deciding on unis is look at league tables.
Reply 94
They said the planned May and June exams are cancelled, meaning there is scope for them to be postponed for later months, for example September. I hope so because it ensures as much fairness as can be, really
Reply 95
I'm very annoyed about the lack of clarity from the government in regards to exams. I have coursework due in less than 3 weeks, do I carry on with it or not???
Original post by Ferrograd
I *****ng hope they don't, I'm just hoping they'll just make us have really easy exams or give us predicted grades.

Why should they be easy exams? In theory the difficulty of the exam makes little difference anyway because if they're easier raw scores requires for grade x just get increased
Original post by 1st superstar
Your thoughts? Ngl if I had exams this year I would be FUMING!!! Well done you A-A* students you got your selfish wish and now making those predicted ABB or below a grade 7 suffer. Congrats as usual the UK government is focusing on the top end of the spectrum. Don't wanna hear the "we're saving lives" argument... Also live stream of this:
https://youtu.be/WDWGFdkiANE

Also don't wanna hear "they've worked hard" argument as many teachers over-predict, mocks aren't standardised and KS2, KS3 and KS4 tests do not show a good indication as to how well you'll do at A-level... sorry for my harsh attitude I'll pass
Original post by Jammy Duel
Why should they be easy exams? In theory the difficulty of the exam makes little difference anyway because if they're easier raw scores requires for grade x just get increased

cos we will miss a lot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending