The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

What is Durham university like?

I was supposed to go to an offer holder day but it has been cancelled due to the corona virus outbreak.
Durham is at the top of my list and I want to firm it, although I feel uncertain doing this without having visited.
I have an offer for natural sciences ( bio & psych ) and accommodation at St. Cuthberts ( probably Parson’s Field )
Are these two close together?
Please could you describe the uni as a whole, how it compares to other unis and the surrounding areas (eg. Shops, etc)
How about going on google maps street view and getting a feel for it that way?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Does anyone know if the virtual offer days still going ahead now? If they are does anyone know what's likely to be included in them e.g. college tours? subject presentations?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I was supposed to go to an offer holder day but it has been cancelled due to the corona virus outbreak.
Durham is at the top of my list and I want to firm it, although I feel uncertain doing this without having visited.
I have an offer for natural sciences ( bio & psych ) and accommodation at St. Cuthberts ( probably Parson’s Field )
Are these two close together?
Please could you describe the uni as a whole, how it compares to other unis and the surrounding areas (eg. Shops, etc)

Hi, I'm a student at Durham currently studying Law.

In terms of a general description of the University campus I'd say that Durham is pretty compact. If you've been to Cambridge, the set up is pretty similar in a lot of ways and most buildings on campus are within walking distance of each other and of the the various colleges. The central 'hub' of campus is where you'll likely spend most of your time; this is where the Bill Bryson Library is along with pretty much all of the science buildings. The city itself is very safe and it's got a really nice atmosphere, plus if you like York-style architecture there are quite a few cobbled streets and Gothic style buildings around the city centre.

In terms of Cuths, if you're in Parson's Field you'll be a little bit removed from the main college site but by no means out of the loop. The Parson's Field site is maybe a 5 - 10 minute walk away from the city centre and probably a similar distance from the main Cuths college site. You'll likely have most of your lectures and contact hours in the main central 'hub' I mentioned which is about 15 minutes away from Parsons.

All in all, if you're worried about being removed from activity etc. you shouldn't at all. Parsons, while not the main Cuths site, is not far at all from all the main teaching areas, other colleges and social places (in fact, if you like a night out you'll probably be at an advantage because Parsons is a bit closer than most sites to the city centre). Parsons actually has its own bar as well, so they definitely cultivate a college/university spirit.

Hope this helps.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Jss545
Hi, I'm a student at Durham currently studying Law.

In terms of a general description of the University campus I'd say that Durham is pretty compact. If you've been to Cambridge, the set up is pretty similar in a lot of ways and most buildings on campus are within walking distance of each other and of the the various colleges. The central 'hub' of campus is where you'll likely spend most of your time; this is where the Bill Bryson Library is along with pretty much all of the science buildings. The city itself is very safe and it's got a really nice atmosphere, plus if you like York-style architecture there are quite a few cobbled streets and Gothic style buildings around the city centre.

In terms of Cuths, if you're in Parson's Field you'll be a little bit removed from the main college site but by no means out of the loop. The Parson's Field site is maybe a 5 - 10 minute walk away from the city centre and probably a similar distance from the main Cuths college site. You'll likely have most of your lectures and contact hours in the main central 'hub' I mentioned which is about 15 minutes away from Parsons.

All in all, if you're worried about being removed from activity etc. you shouldn't at all. Parsons, while not the main Cuths site, is not far at all from all the main teaching areas, other colleges and social places (in fact, if you like a night out you'll probably be at an advantage because Parsons is a bit closer than most sites to the city centre). Parsons actually has its own bar as well, so they definitely cultivate a college/university spirit.

Hope this helps.

This is really helpful, thank you so much!
Is Parsons Field aesthetic/ nice to look at? I am considering the Bailey although I don’t want to be catered for.
How did you find making friends at Durham?
Which societies are good?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
This is really helpful, thank you so much!
Is Parsons Field aesthetic/ nice to look at? I am considering the Bailey although I don’t want to be catered for.
How did you find making friends at Durham?
Which societies are good?

Parsons is one of the more modern-looking sites so unfortunately it doesn't have the ornate architecture that you might see from some of the other colleges but, it's by no means an unattractive site just modern. The Bailey is great if you would prefer a more ornate aesthetic to your accommodation and it's also right next to a number of other colleges. However, if you're looking for self-catered accommodation that's also part of the main college site you could also look at Josephine-Butler and Stephenson College. I'm personally in Stephenson; they're a bit further away from the science site though.

Making friends was generally a pretty positive experience. If you're worried about making friends my advice is to just throw yourself into fresher's week, you'll find that people are a lot more friendly than you may first think; people are also often just as worried as you are. Personally, I didn't find a solid friend group until my second week at Durham but, the experience of meeting so many new people is really great. You'll find that after freshers week everyone tends to settle nicely into their own circles.

This is a difficult question. I'm personally part of mostly law societies so I can't comment on all the others. I would say though that there will likely be society that fits your niche, either within your college or within the wider University. I'm part of the Pro Bono, Bar, Law, Mooting, College Basketball and Hispanic societies. I'd highly recommend the Pro Bono Society and also the Bar and Mooting Societies (especially if you're hoping to become a barrister). Collegiate sport is often very popular, from experience I can say that one collegiate sport is normally more than enough for an individual alongside study. It's very rewarding and often nicely contrasts the usually very sedentary life of a law student.

Quick Reply

Latest