The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Ask an Imperial College London Student!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sinnoh
Hi everyone. :wavey: What with open days this summer being cancelled, here's a kind of AMA thread for everyone considering Imperial.
I'm a first-year undergrad studying physics. I'll be happy to answer any questions about the uni in general, and of course about the physics course (which has just been restructured!)

Hi, @Sinnoh I do not know if this is too late to reply, anyway.

What is the social life and mental state of most people at imperial like(like are people ALWAYS stressed because the university is very demanding).

I do not mind a university not being like amazingly buzzing. I guess because the main aim is to get a get a degree, meet people with same interests as you, network, research about something interesting, etc. (basically not party most of the time).

But when I say I want to go to Imperial people have this face or response saying its boring.

So please can you clear the air.

And also is there a way at like imperial to like study multiple modules not in your course? (A bit like in the US where you have a major and minor).
(edited 1 year ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 581
Original post by L1NKSK1
Hi, @Sinnoh I do not know if this is too late to reply, anyway.

What is the social life and mental state of most people at imperial like(like are people ALWAYS stressed because the university is very demanding).

Are people always stressed - no. Yes the courses can be very demanding (depending a lot, however, on whether you're going for a First or a 2:i). Yes some people don't like it here. I like it, personally. Sometimes I wonder how the hell I ever made it into 4th year because I get the feeling that everyone around me seems to be working much harder.

In general people won't be quite as outgoing as other unis, but every single year it seems like every single fresher is also asking if they're the only one who wants a decent social life and to go out from time to time - you're not and there are plenty of others.

But definitely, definitely, make use of societies. Join a bunch in first year, try them out, and then commit to one or two. For me it just wouldn't have been the same without them.

And also is there a way at like imperial to like study multiple modules not in your course? (A bit like in the US where you have a major and minor).

In 3rd and 4th year you can take up to 7.5 ECTS (one eighth of the year's work) worth of modules from another department, subject to approval from the directors of undergraduate study from both. And there is the i-Explore thing where you're required to take an extra-curricular module, but it's far from the major/minor system of American unis.
thank you for your insight
Original post by Sinnoh
Hi everyone. :wavey: What with open days this summer being cancelled, here's a kind of AMA thread for everyone considering Imperial.
I'm a first-year undergrad studying physics. I'll be happy to answer any questions about the uni in general, and of course about the physics course (which has just been restructured!)

This AMA uses a tag system! You can either ask a general question or tag in one of our fantastic volunteers (listed below) if you are looking for something more specific.
@Sinnoh - First year, Physics
@usycool1 - Current student, Medicine
@bellelurette - Offer holder, Medicine
@StarbucksLife14 - Offer holder, Medicine
@Gunner772 - Offer holder, Medicine
@edgyqueen - Offer holder, Medicine
@Rasofema - Offer holder, Computer Science
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108

Hi @Rasofema

May I ask what are the typical grade requirements needed to enter computing course for the previous few batches of applicants.
And wld it be useful to include computing-related competitions/internships in my ps for my application.
Thks for ur help.
Hi,

Can anyone advise what the timeline for second years re-enrolling is likely to be?
Reply 585
Just got my results and I got in to Imperial.. is MyImperial supposed to have nothing in it when you log in? I also cannot log in to my student email on Outlook. Is this normal or is something wrong?
Original post by Piggo674
Just got my results and I got in to Imperial.. is MyImperial supposed to have nothing in it when you log in? I also cannot log in to my student email on Outlook. Is this normal or is something wrong?

My myimperial has like a place to upload my ID photo and stuff
Hi @Sinnoh I read that you were in Woodward for your 1st year so I just wanna know how you got to campus? Also if you took the tube is it better/cheaper to get an oyster card and load monthly cards or just tap as you go with your bank card?
Whoops didn't @ you properly @Sinnoh ^
Reply 589
Original post by Anonymous
Hi @Sinnoh I read that you were in Woodward for your 1st year so I just wanna know how you got to campus? Also if you took the tube is it better/cheaper to get an oyster card and load monthly cards or just tap as you go with your bank card?

18+ student oyster photo card, buy a zone 1-2 monthly travelcard on it. The student oyster gives 1/3 off weekly and monthly passes so it's cheaper than pay as you go, provided you're going in on most days.

Also talk to staff at a station and get them to link up your 16-25 Railcard to the oyster card, that'll get you 1/3 off off-peak pay as you go fares. Useful if you're having to go outside zone 2.

Best way of getting to campus is probably to take the Central line to Queensway and then walk across the park. It's a long walk but it's a nice walk. Or you can get off at Notting Hill Gate, walk a minute and take a bus.
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi @Sinnoh,
I am applying for an Undergraduate Imperial Physics Degree and I am wondering what resources are helpful to use in preparation for the entrance exam. For reference, I have checked out the imperial website (with the past paper questions - unfortunately very limited), I very regularly use Isaac Physics and I am currently preparing for the NSAA.
Are there any other resources that may be of help for the Imperial Physics entrance exam?
Thanks in advance,

James
Reply 591
Original post by iTsJames123
Hi @Sinnoh,
I am applying for an Undergraduate Imperial Physics Degree and I am wondering what resources are helpful to use in preparation for the entrance exam. For reference, I have checked out the imperial website (with the past paper questions - unfortunately very limited), I very regularly use Isaac Physics and I am currently preparing for the NSAA.
Are there any other resources that may be of help for the Imperial Physics entrance exam?
Thanks in advance,

James

Can't help you there - it was put in place after I applied
@Rasofema I got a CS interview invite from Imperial for the 29th of November.

I have a lot of questions for you:

How was the interview for you? How did you feel? Did you or anyone else you know that have offers for CS have to build programs in the interview using the programming languages you mentioned in your personal statement? If they didn't ask you to build programs, what were the questions like about the programming languages you mentioned in your personal statement? What was the approximate difficulty of the Maths/logic questions they asked you in the interview? On a scale of 1-10, how hard were the questions? What is the approximate timing for each section of the interview? How many people invited to interview get offers (a rough number would do)? and any general tips you have for me for preparing for the interview and during the interview would be extremely useful.
Reply 593
Sorry @Rasofema This is me. The person who posted above. I had no idea that I was posting anonymously.
I am an international student (from India) and recently got an offer for Biological Sciences. Excited, and nervous at the same time. I had a few questions - Would like some help.

What college accommodation do you guys recommend for the profile? (Intl/India)

How is the course rigor? I am from a CBSE background (not IB/IGCSE), and wondering how tough can it get to manage good grades.

My plan post-BSc is to do a PhD in the US. Does a 3-year degree have an issue applying to the US? Do people go to grad school in the US after 3 years? (or do one additional year of research etc)

Course specific - I am interested in Mathematical Biology - Are there extra courses that I can take specifically at the intersection of Math & Bio (or Computing & Bio)?

Research Internships/UROP - How common or tough is it to get into? And how much does the college help in these?

That's it for now. Thanks much in advance.
Reply 595
Original post by Dilipsavitar
I am an international student (from India) and recently got an offer for Biological Sciences. Excited, and nervous at the same time. I had a few questions - Would like some help.

What college accommodation do you guys recommend for the profile? (Intl/India)

How is the course rigor? I am from a CBSE background (not IB/IGCSE), and wondering how tough can it get to manage good grades.

My plan post-BSc is to do a PhD in the US. Does a 3-year degree have an issue applying to the US? Do people go to grad school in the US after 3 years? (or do one additional year of research etc)

Course specific - I am interested in Mathematical Biology - Are there extra courses that I can take specifically at the intersection of Math & Bio (or Computing & Bio)?

Research Internships/UROP - How common or tough is it to get into? And how much does the college help in these?

That's it for now. Thanks much in advance.

For accommodation, it depends on your budget, but I was in Woodward for my first year and I liked it a lot - the rent is cheaper, the rooms and kitchens are nice and there's a good community of students there. Yes it takes longer to get into uni but you get used to it, and it's nice walking across Hyde Park in the morning.

Can't speak about the course rigour from personal experience (not having done biology) but no matter what the course, most people will be getting a First or a 2:i. That doesn't mean it's easy, though.

As for PhD - in the UK I think it's more common for people to have done a master's but I don't know what's common in the US.

For mathematical biology, well, either the module is listed on the course page, in which you can take it, or it isn't. However I think most courses allow you to take one module from a different department if you're in your 3rd or 4th year, so you might have more options available than you think.

For research placements, they're fairly common but it's a bit random. Some might be advertised to the whole year group, and those will be hard to get in to, but most people who do it just contact a supervisor whose research they're interested in and ask directly. You won't get much assistance from the college there.
Original post by Sinnoh
For accommodation, it depends on your budget, but I was in Woodward for my first year and I liked it a lot - the rent is cheaper, the rooms and kitchens are nice and there's a good community of students there. Yes it takes longer to get into uni but you get used to it, and it's nice walking across Hyde Park in the morning.

Can't speak about the course rigour from personal experience (not having done biology) but no matter what the course, most people will be getting a First or a 2:i. That doesn't mean it's easy, though.

As for PhD - in the UK I think it's more common for people to have done a master's but I don't know what's common in the US.

For mathematical biology, well, either the module is listed on the course page, in which you can take it, or it isn't. However I think most courses allow you to take one module from a different department if you're in your 3rd or 4th year, so you might have more options available than you think.

For research placements, they're fairly common but it's a bit random. Some might be advertised to the whole year group, and those will be hard to get in to, but most people who do it just contact a supervisor whose research they're interested in and ask directly. You won't get much assistance from the college there.
For CS, you have the option of doing a module from another department from the first year onwards. This was highlighted on my interview day.
@Sinnoh Just wondering about accom, y1 seems okay since kemp porter/woodward have somewhat manageable rents (unless you have any advice about nice/nasty surprises when moving in there??), but what happens after that? Like I guess you have to go private but then does the uni help and cld you give some indication of rent pw might look like for a typical student willing to commute up to 30m by bike?
Original post by Jam.123
@Sinnoh Just wondering about accom, y1 seems okay since kemp porter/woodward have somewhat manageable rents (unless you have any advice about nice/nasty surprises when moving in there??), but what happens after that? Like I guess you have to go private but then does the uni help and cld you give some indication of rent pw might look like for a typical student willing to commute up to 30m by bike?
On my interview day, the guy taking us around was in third year. I believe that his rent was somewhere in the region of £150 to £180 a week, which is super good for London. It's like a 10 minute bike ride from Hyde Park or 30 minute walk. It's really frustrating because the name isn't coming to mind.

I think there's student population in the likes of Acton and other places (near the ends of the Tube Maps I think). Correct me if I'm wrong @Sinnoh
Original post by vnayak
On my interview day, the guy taking us around was in third year. I believe that his rent was somewhere in the region of £150 to £180 a week, which is super good for London. It's like a 10 minute bike ride from Hyde Park or 30 minute walk. It's really frustrating because the name isn't coming to mind.

I think there's student population in the likes of Acton and other places (near the ends of the Tube Maps I think). Correct me if I'm wrong @Sinnoh
Are you currently an Imperial student living in London?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending