The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

uni rankings. imperial to kcl?

I dropped out of imperial college London as I felt like the environment was very intense, the workload was super high and I just wasn't happy there. I've now got an offer from King's College for the same course (biochemistry) to start first year again but my family is telling me I'm making a mistake because Imperial is much higher ranked and that I should return there for a higher chance of getting a better job. I'd love to hear what you guys think - does a lower-ranked uni really mean less workload and a more chill environment, or would it be the same?

PS. I'm not too concerned about getting the highest-paying job with the highest status in the future. I'd rather have a stable job I am happy with.
Reply 1
Imperial is really highly rated yh it’s a great uni and not many people have the chance to go.

Kcl is also fantastic but worse however student life here isn’t even comparable to imperial, you would feel a lot happier here but it’ll come at cost of benefits imperial offers.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Imperial is really highly rated yh it’s a great uni and not many people have the chance to go.

Kcl is also fantastic but worse however student life here isn’t even comparable to imperial, you would feel a lot happier here but it’ll come at cost of benefits imperial offers.

by 'worse', do you just mean lower ranked?
Reply 3
by 'worse', do you just mean lower ranked?

Yh lower ranked lower prospects worse course and you lose all the academic benefits
I dropped out of imperial college London as I felt like the environment was very intense, the workload was super high and I just wasn't happy there. I've now got an offer from King's College for the same course (biochemistry) to start first year again but my family is telling me I'm making a mistake because Imperial is much higher ranked and that I should return there for a higher chance of getting a better job. I'd love to hear what you guys think - does a lower-ranked uni really mean less workload and a more chill environment, or would it be the same?

PS. I'm not too concerned about getting the highest-paying job with the highest status in the future. I'd rather have a stable job I am happy with.

did you change in the end?
Reply 5
did you change in the end?

Yes I did :smile:
Yes I did :smile:

How are you finding it? Hopefully you're enjoying it
Reply 7
How are you finding it? Hopefully you're enjoying it

So far so good! It’s much more relaxed and staff are more supportive. They actually teach you things instead of expecting you to know haha
So far so good! It’s much more relaxed and staff are more supportive. They actually teach you things instead of expecting you to know haha

If you don't mind me asking what course did you do at imperial and at kings
If you don't mind me asking what course did you do at imperial and at kings

wait i did not read your message. I see that it was biochemistry. I thought the life science was pretty chill at imperial? is that just a misconception?
Reply 10
wait i did not read your message. I see that it was biochemistry. I thought the life science was pretty chill at imperial? is that just a misconception?

Late reply sorry! Life sciences is definitely (a little bit) more chill than the other courses like engineering, but i think the stereotype of Imperial being ‘less chill’ and not very social is true for all courses. The work is much more challenging than King’s and Imperial doesn’t ease you into university at all, you’re kind of just expected to know things. I also didn’t like most of the other students as I felt like they were constantly secretly in competition, might have just been me and my imposter syndrome tho! There was also a lack of diversity, i think I was one of the 5 black people in my course. Happy to answer any questions :smile:
Hii I applied for biochem to imperial and kcl for 2024 entry and rn have an offer from kcl. Haven't heard anything from imperial yet. can i ask what do you mean the work is more challenging and they just expect you to know stuff?
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous #4
Hii I applied for biochem to imperial and kcl for 2024 entry and rn have an offer from kcl. Haven't heard anything from imperial yet. can i ask what do you mean the work is more challenging and they just expect you to know stuff?

congrats on your offer! That is pretty much what I mean haha, I just found the work at Imperial to be difficult compared to A-Level or King's. For example, the first term at King's has a good mix of A-level content so everyone can be at the same level and they gave introduction lectures etc, but Imperial kind of dived right in. The assignments at Imperial were also more difficult: first term we were already doing essays or making excel graphs which took us ages to do, and it was hard to balance them with lectures. If you are a hard worker and did well at A-level, I'm sure u'll be fine at Imperial, I just personally preferred a more relaxed environment where I had more time for friends/hobbies 🙂
How long did both unis take to get back to you?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 14
Original post by pigeonwarrior
How long did both unis take to get back to you?

Imperial got back to me in Feb and KCL much later, maybe april
Original post by Anonymous #1
Imperial got back to me in Feb and KCL much later, maybe april

Ahh ok why do they have to take a while it's a bit stressful tbh 😭😭 but thanks for telling me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending