The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Ask an Imperial College London Student!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jam.123
Are you currently an Imperial student living in London?
Nope but these were questions I asked on the interview day to the students taking us around and it was also mentioned during the accommodation talk on the Open Day, which I attended.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 601
Original post by Jam.123
@Sinnoh Just wondering about accom, y1 seems okay since kemp porter/woodward have somewhat manageable rents (unless you have any advice about nice/nasty surprises when moving in there??), but what happens after that? Like I guess you have to go private but then does the uni help and cld you give some indication of rent pw might look like for a typical student willing to commute up to 30m by bike?

Yeah Woodward and Kemp Porter are good, not much else to say there.
After first year most people will be looking in the private sector, the uni does run a couple events just giving advice, and there's stuff on their website, but they aren't going to be actively involved in helping people find a place. Or you can try some of the halls for returning students, like Xenia, Parsons House or Evelyn Gardens but living with friends is more fun.

If you find a place under £200 per person per week then that's a good find, even if it is a bit of a commute from Imperial.
Reply 602
Hi @Sinnoh, I’m an Imperial Physics offer holder. Can I ask you a few questions?
-I didn’t do FM: how much of a disadvantage am I at? I know there’s a lot of FM teaching but there are obviously lots of people who have.
-What’s your life like, balancing physics and socials?
-What societies are you a part of?
-What should make me pick Imperial over my other places like UCL, Nottingham, Exeter and Southampton?

So many thanks! Hope you’re well.
Reply 603
Original post by Heppe
Hi @Sinnoh, I’m an Imperial Physics offer holder. Can I ask you a few questions?
-I didn’t do FM: how much of a disadvantage am I at? I know there’s a lot of FM teaching but there are obviously lots of people who have.
-What’s your life like, balancing physics and socials?
-What societies are you a part of?
-What should make me pick Imperial over my other places like UCL, Nottingham, Exeter and Southampton?

So many thanks! Hope you’re well.

Further maths - the first term will be more difficult for you, and a couple bits of a couple modules in second year could be unfamiliar. This doesn't really matter so much as long as you actually do the work that you're set during the course.

This thread was made when I was in first year (have since graduated), but I found that I had a decent amount of free time. However you will have to make tradeoffs at some point, particularly when deadlines are near. I find I am a bit lazy but I did manage to pull out a 2:i by the end of it.

I was most involved with the history society and the quiz society. Can wholeheartedly recommend. I think societies are the best way of making friends in different year groups and even different universities.

I'd say a strength of the physics department at Imperial is that it's quite large and covers a lot of different areas of physics, so you end up with a good variety of modules later on in the course, as well as 3rd and 4th year projects. Also while the core content overlaps a lot with other unis, I think at Imperial it goes into more depth. But you've probably been looking through the various courses already and comparing them so you probably have more of an idea there than I do. In case you haven't yet seen it, there is detailed module information for the physics course here.
Hey @Sinnoh i know it might hv well been over a year by now but do you remember when imperial started giving out offers for non-EU international students(physics)
Also does the status "with department" on the Imperial portal always signify a rejection?
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 605
Original post by pat8314
Hey @Sinnoh i know it might hv well been over a year by now but do you remember when imperial started giving out offers for non-EU international students(physics)
Also does the status "with department" on the Imperial portal always signify a rejection?

1) I don't know, I was a home student - and it's been 5 years
2) why would that mean a rejection? Just sounds like the physics department is currently reviewing it.
Original post by Sinnoh
1) I don't know, I was a home student - and it's been 5 years
2) why would that mean a rejection? Just sounds like the physics department is currently reviewing it.
jeez didnt see u posted tht 1st msg 3 yrs back..It is being said tht "review in progress/condition pending" means an offer and a "with department" means a rejection.. not sure if it is true and I thght u might hv a fair idea abt it..anyway thks for replying!!
Reply 607
Original post by pat8314
jeez didnt see u posted tht 1st msg 3 yrs back..It is being said tht "review in progress/condition pending" means an offer and a "with department" means a rejection.. not sure if it is true and I thght u might hv a fair idea abt it..anyway thks for replying!!

"it is being said" - by who?
Original post by Sinnoh
"it is being said" - by who?
this year's applicants... it seems tht even a 1st yr student enrolled at imperial said the same..
Reply 609
Original post by Sinnoh
Further maths - the first term will be more difficult for you, and a couple bits of a couple modules in second year could be unfamiliar. This doesn't really matter so much as long as you actually do the work that you're set during the course.
This thread was made when I was in first year (have since graduated), but I found that I had a decent amount of free time. However you will have to make tradeoffs at some point, particularly when deadlines are near. I find I am a bit lazy but I did manage to pull out a 2:i by the end of it.
I was most involved with the history society and the quiz society. Can wholeheartedly recommend. I think societies are the best way of making friends in different year groups and even different universities.
I'd say a strength of the physics department at Imperial is that it's quite large and covers a lot of different areas of physics, so you end up with a good variety of modules later on in the course, as well as 3rd and 4th year projects. Also while the core content overlaps a lot with other unis, I think at Imperial it goes into more depth. But you've probably been looking through the various courses already and comparing them so you probably have more of an idea there than I do. In case you haven't yet seen it, there is detailed module information for the physics course here.
Thanks! Do you know what their stance is on missing out on results day? They’ve given me two A*’s and two A’s to get and idk if I can get the two stars
@Sinnoh How are Imperial with STEP requirements? Any idea? How much leeway do they give for acceptance?
Original post by pat8314
Nope, it's not like that.
With department means it currently being reviewed.
Yes "Review in Progress" implies an Offer which comes after "With Department". With department doesn't mean a rejection.
Reply 612
Original post by vnayak
@Sinnoh How are Imperial with STEP requirements? Any idea? How much leeway do they give for acceptance?

No idea - have you looked for freedom of information requests about it? Also might be worth having a look at the admission statistics downloadable at the bottom of this page: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/about/introducing-imperial/facts-and-figures/college-data-and-statistics-catalogue/college-overview/statistics-guide/transparency-information/
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 613
where do u say is the best building for accom for physics students ??
Reply 614
Original post by Porch
where do u say is the best building for accom for physics students ??

Well, if money is no object then Beit is definitely the closest - quite literally the other side of the road to the Blackett Laboratory.
But closest best - the ones in North Acton are good as well. There's more of a commute but it's really not a big deal. I was in Woodward and quite liked it. They're also, you know, actually affordable.
Original post by Sinnoh
Hi everyone. :wavey: What with open days this summer being cancelled, here's a kind of AMA thread for everyone considering Imperial.
I'm a first-year undergrad studying physics. I'll be happy to answer any questions about the uni in general, and of course about the physics course (which has just been restructured!)
This AMA uses a tag system! You can either ask a general question or tag in one of our fantastic volunteers (listed below) if you are looking for something more specific.
@Sinnoh - First year, Physics
@usycool1 - Current student, Medicine
@bellelurette - Offer holder, Medicine
@StarbucksLife14 - Offer holder, Medicine
@Gunner772 - Offer holder, Medicine
@edgyqueen - Offer holder, Medicine
@Rasofema - Offer holder, Computer Science
---
This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universities, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108

@Rasofema What sort of things did you include in your personal statement, such as super-curriculars, and if any extracurriculars. Also, what other Unis you applied to, and what you are predicted. Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending