The Student Room Group

Anyone need any A level help?

Hello, now that I have finished year 13 I am more than happy to help anyone in biology/chemistry/maths just ask away
Yes I struggle a lot with organic chemistry and just remembering it all,any advice?
Original post by Summerset1276
Yes I struggle a lot with organic chemistry and just remembering it all,any advice?

for all the reaction mechanisms I made one big poster of every mechanism that I needed to know and then would focus on one mechanism each week and would learn it by drawing/writing the mechanism over and over again, is there a specific topic/ mechanism you need help with?
Original post by Summerset1276

this attached link should help with mechanisms
for me repetition was the way I got through organic
Reply 4
Original post by Monkeybannasahm
Hello, now that I have finished year 13 I am more than happy to help anyone in biology/chemistry/maths just ask away

Did you do any preparation for year 13 when you had finished year 12 by reading ahead and looking at the year 13 content or did you just make sure that your AS fundamentals were strong before you went into year 13? Would you recommend that I read ahead and get a lot of the year 13 content done before I get into year 13? Thanks.
Original post by sigmahhh
Did you do any preparation for year 13 when you had finished year 12 by reading ahead and looking at the year 13 content or did you just make sure that your AS fundamentals were strong before you went into year 13? Would you recommend that I read ahead and get a lot of the year 13 content done before I get into year 13? Thanks.

Well I made sure I was strong on the as topics as our sixth form started year 13 content in year 12 anyways, if you're fully confident that you know everything from as I would firstly recommend practicing ing A2 paper 1s for biology as they are as topics but worded harder and for other biology and other subjects practice a lot of papers and then if you have time look at the year 13 content

Im only in year 11 now and have chosen to do these exact subjects(although i dont know if I should change chem to psychology ahhh -do you regret any of your choices?). Im just worried about their difficulty and intensity. (That pdf you attached above looks soooo confusing)How did you find them(also what did you get for them in gcse) also any advice for them and now I have so much time for each subject what do you recommend me do to prepare for alevels (Obviously i can do more than normal due to no gcses lol). Also what do you plan to do at uni/next.
Sorry thats a lot,thank you !!!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Lucy98654
Im only in year 11 now and have chosen to do these exact subjects(although i dont know if I should change chem to psychology ahhh -do you regret any of your choices?). Im just worried about their difficulty and intensity. (That pdf you attached above looks soooo confusing)How did you find them(also what did you get for them in gcse) also any advice for them and now I have so much time for each subject what do you recommend me do to prepare for alevels (Obviously i can do more than normal due to no gcses lol). Also what do you plan to do at uni/next.
Sorry thats a lot,thank you !!!!

If you're in year 11 then I wouldn't revise to be honest, you have plenty of time, if you're bored just have a read over the spec but it's too early for anything yet, if you're planning on doing something related to science then universities typically ask for 2 sciences out f maths, biology, chemistry and physics so don't not take chemistry just because its hard, you don't want to be limiting yourself with universities just yet. With the new guarding system and universities preparing to teach online I just hope I get to go to university to be honest, I hope this helped, feel free to ask more questions :smile:
If you're in year 11 then I wouldn't revise to be honest, you have plenty of time, if you're bored just have a read over the spec but it's too early for anything yet, if you're planning on doing something related to science then universities typically ask for 2 sciences out f maths, biology, chemistry and physics so don't not take chemistry just because its hard, you don't want to be limiting yourself with universities just yet. With the new guarding system and universities preparing to teach online I just hope I get to go to university to be honest, I hope this helped, feel free to ask more questions :smile:

Thank you ! What do you plan to study at uni?
Original post by Lucy98654
Thank you ! What do you plan to study at uni?

To be honest at this point I just want to go, hopefully they'll be open for us :afraid:

I have finsihed year 12 and Im just about to start year 13, and haven’t gone over year 12 content so don’t know topic 3,4 basically. Will I be able to cope with year 13. How stressful?
And I know you might not respond as this message was sent 2 years ago.
Original post by Fatzzzz
I have finsihed year 12 and Im just about to start year 13, and haven’t gone over year 12 content so don’t know topic 3,4 basically. Will I be able to cope with year 13. How stressful?
And I know you might not respond as this message was sent 2 years ago.

Heya!
If you are struggling with particular topics in bio and chem, I would recommend checking out this youtube channel where they cover various chem and bio topics in great detail :smile: Year 13 will be a bit more stressful as the exams are just around the corner and you have to remember all the material. Make sure to go over year 12 content asap and make revision notes on it so you are up to date with the material, don't leave it until the very last minute:h:

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest