The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Contact hours for history

Can anyone explain to me the contact hours for the first year of the history course at Durham? I've seen conflicting reports on TSR. The website page says in one place that there are 8.5 hrs of timetabled contact per week. In another place it says there is 1 weekly lecture and 1 small group seminar every 2 / 3 weeks. Is this 1 small group seminar per module every 2 - 3 weeks? or in total? Also - are the 6 modules taught concurrently? This is why we needed the visit day... :/
Reply 1
I do history!
so assuming you do no modules from other departments in first year contact hours are as follows:
you do 6 modules, 5 of these modules have a weekly lecture of one hour, and then 6 or 7 seminars over terms 1 & 2 which are all an hour long

the other module is more of a historiography module (making history) and is only taught in seminars of 1 hour each, I think I had 6 in 2nd term and about the same maybe more in first term

All modules are taught at the same time, the weeks in which you have seminars for the other 5 modules may be the same week or may be spread, and you may have some weeks where you only have the making history seminar

hope this helped, feel free to ask any more questions
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by BrDy
I do history!
so assuming you do no modules from other departments in first year contact hours are as follows:
you do 6 modules, 5 of these modules have a weekly lecture of one hour, and then 6 or 7 seminars over terms 1 & 2 which are all an hour long

the other module is more of a historiography module (making history) and is only taught in seminars of 1 hour each, I think I had 6 in 2nd term and about the same maybe more in first term

All modules are taught at the same time, the weeks in which you have seminars for the other 5 modules may be the same week or may be spread, and you may have some weeks where you only have the making history seminar

hope this helped, feel free to ask any more questions

That's great - thank you so much. On a related question - do you know anything about the Liberal Arts BA at Durham? Wondering if doing History + Philosophy and one other would give me more contact hours or less....
Reply 3
I know a bit about liberal arts, but I don't know anything about philosophy sorry
the amount of contact hours you get for each history module won't change under liberal arts though, so you'll still have the same number in that aspect. I would think philosophy has more ocntact hours, pretty sure almost everything has more contact hours than history
Reply 4
Original post by BrDy
I know a bit about liberal arts, but I don't know anything about philosophy sorry
the amount of contact hours you get for each history module won't change under liberal arts though, so you'll still have the same number in that aspect. I would think philosophy has more ocntact hours, pretty sure almost everything has more contact hours than history

That's very helpful - thank you. Can I ask another question? About how many people are in a history seminar, on average, during the first year.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
That's very helpful - thank you. Can I ask another question? About how many people are in a history seminar, on average, during the first year.

I'd say around 8? Really between 6-10 I think, obviously it varies and also people sometimes miss or move around seminars so that can change it too
Reply 6
Original post by BrDy
I'd say around 8? Really between 6-10 I think, obviously it varies and also people sometimes miss or move around seminars so that can change it too

Thanks again :smile: I might come back with other questions - I'm a bit worried about the proposed cut in modules next year....!

Quick Reply

Latest