The Student Room Group

what to do at uni?

I studied literature (A*), religion (A), and history (B) at A level in 2022. I took a gap year and have been volunteering, I planned to do teacher training but withdrew my application before going as I had doubts about the course and uni. Now, I am planning to go to uni in 2024 but I am really unsure on what to study. I enjoyed all of my A levels especially literature but also have been considering history and archaeology. I did think about zoology with integrated foundation year for awhile but I don't think the maths and science is for me. I really enjoy being outside, plants and reading.
Any ideas or advice is appreciated!
Hey :smile: as someone who also did a mix of a level subjects and couldn’t decide on a course for uni don’t worry you’re not alone.

Here’s a list of things I thought of but there’s tons more:

- Linguistics
- Languages
- History
- Geography
- Ancient history
- Fine art
- Classics
- English Literature
- English Language
- Law (with or without politics, philosophy, psychology etc)
- Media and communications
- Philosophy
- Psychology
- Politics
- Sociology or social policy

Only thing to bear in mind which I learnt the hard way is that humanities subjects tend to have much lower contact hours. For example I started studying linguistics and was only doing 5 hours a week.

I haven’t checked grade boundaries and I’m sure there are others but I hope that’s a good starting point. :smile:
Original post by lemontreess
I really enjoy being outside, plants and reading.

Are you creative? You could consider landscape architecture.
I studied literature (A*), religion (A), and history (B) at A level in 2022. I took a gap year and have been volunteering, I planned to do teacher training but withdrew my application before going as I had doubts about the course and uni. Now, I am planning to go to uni in 2024 but I am really unsure on what to study. I enjoyed all of my A levels especially literature but also have been considering history and archaeology. I did think about zoology with integrated foundation year for awhile but I don't think the maths and science is for me. I really enjoy being outside, plants and reading.

Hi there, it is nice to hear that you are considering University studies. :smile:

I would recommend attending University open days. With open days, you will be able to get a feel of the campus, what life is like at University. You will also get opportunities to learn about different courses- what they cover, their teaching hours and styles. I found going to open days really helped me narrow down my University and course choices.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Hey,

It's great to hear you are considering university!

From your A-Levels, it seems as though you chose essay-based subjects so I'm assuming you're quite good at writing! Writing essays comes with good analysis and interpretation, so choosing subjects like what you studied at A-Level may put you in good stead. English Literature sounds like a good fit, so maybe research different universities and compare their modules/reading lists against each other to see what draws your interest the most! The good thing about literature at degree level is that it is broad, and you cover a wide range of authors from a wide range of time periods and countries.

A Foundation Year is a great way to see if university is for you, as it is centered around study skills, writing essays, how to reference, etc. It eases you into university and the academic aspect of it, and it means you get to be a student for 4 years, instead of the typical 3!

I hope this has been helpful :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending