The Student Room Group

STEM or soft science

Hypothetically speaking, if you were equally as good at STEM subjects e.g Maths Chemistry etc. as well as the soft sciences such as Law, History Economics, which general area would you choose a degree in? (In terms of metrics such as employment prospects, salary, job security and not interests). Also, would going to a university more renowned in a field help after graduating in either STEM or the soft sciences?
Original post by jlocordner332
Hypothetically speaking, if you were equally as good at STEM subjects e.g Maths Chemistry etc. as well as the soft sciences such as Law, History Economics, which general area would you choose a degree in? (In terms of metrics such as employment prospects, salary, job security and not interests). Also, would going to a university more renowned in a field help after graduating in either STEM or the soft sciences?

STEM subjects - easier job possibilities afterwards, more flexible options (in my opinion!), and also, more contact hours, so you get your money's worth.

Although I wouldn't call law/economics "soft sciences" - they're seriously intense degrees, the people who do them are all incredibly hardworking and ambitious, and they probably have better career options than scientists!

(By soft sciences, I'd probably assume social sciences, so the law/econ thing wouldn't apply. History is a legitimate humanities degree, not a soft science).
Reply 2
Original post by jlocordner332

I think you are looking at the situation the completely wrong way around. The questions I would be asking in order of significance are:
- What do I want to do after university? e.g. which degree would be the most successful in securing that role
- What do I enjoy studying? If I am enjoying my subject, I will do well and that will therefore be projected in a future job interview.

If you are struggling to answer question 1, think about what you enjoy. Do you enjoy working in teams or along, indoors or outdoors, with animals, do you want to travel, do you like detail or broad brush strokes? This will hopefully help you focus a bit.

Don't do what most do and that is take what you think will lead to success and hope for the best. Without direction and strategy, you could end up getting a 1st degree at Oxbridge and still be unemployable mainly because the whole process has crushed your spirit.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending