The Student Room Group

having seccond thoughts about my history degree?

I have just started my first year for a history degree at my dream uni. I picked history because it's something I thought I would really enjoy and I did thoroughly enjoy both A level and GCSE history. My main concern is the reading, we're set up to hundreds of pages of mainly academic articles and reports (usually at least twenty pages long) which I just don't find interesting at all, when I try and sit down to do the reading I just zone out. I don't really like the independent style of learning, I don't mind extra material to support what's already being taught but it seems to be more that we're given a couple of hours lecture on something and then expected to effectively teach ourselves. When I look around my seminars all my course mates seem to thoroughly enjoy this and I have tried but I just don't feel like I fit in with that, I enjoy history as a subject but I don't know if I'm 'passionate' about it as such and I'm just not enjoying the course like I thought I would. Also, in the first year we don't get to focus on one time period instead all modules are generic more focused on teaching us how to study history academically and different approaches to history in which we may have a 'case study' that will involve an hour or two of lectures, lots of reading and then moving onto a new topic with little attention to the facts of the period, this removes what I used to enjoy at GCSE and A Level. This is making me think perhaps I should change courses and do business management instead which may be more vocational? Can any History (or business) students give me some advice? Will the course improve? Did anyone else initially feel like this about the reading and has gone on to enjoy the degree?
Original post by rosesarewhite
I have just started my first year for a history degree at my dream uni. I picked history because it's something I thought I would really enjoy and I did thoroughly enjoy both A level and GCSE history. My main concern is the reading, we're set up to hundreds of pages of mainly academic articles and reports (usually at least twenty pages long) which I just don't find interesting at all, when I try and sit down to do the reading I just zone out. I don't really like the independent style of learning, I don't mind extra material to support what's already being taught but it seems to be more that we're given a couple of hours lecture on something and then expected to effectively teach ourselves. When I look around my seminars all my course mates seem to thoroughly enjoy this and I have tried but I just don't feel like I fit in with that, I enjoy history as a subject but I don't know if I'm 'passionate' about it as such and I'm just not enjoying the course like I thought I would. Also, in the first year we don't get to focus on one time period instead all modules are generic more focused on teaching us how to study history academically and different approaches to history in which we may have a 'case study' that will involve an hour or two of lectures, lots of reading and then moving onto a new topic with little attention to the facts of the period, this removes what I used to enjoy at GCSE and A Level. This is making me think perhaps I should change courses and do business management instead which may be more vocational? Can any History (or business) students give me some advice? Will the course improve? Did anyone else initially feel like this about the reading and has gone on to enjoy the degree?

Hi @rosesarewhite

I'm sorry to hear that you're not enjoying your History degree as much as you thought you would. However, as I am in my third year of studying History, I can reassure you that it does get better! I shared these exact same doubts when I first started my degree, so I promise you are not the only one feeling like this -- I am sure that other people in your classes who look like they're really enjoying it are also struggling!!

For the first semester of first year at my university, we had a similar situation where we were looking at a different period of history every week: a couple of hours of lectures, a couple of seminars, and lots and lots of reading. I similarly found this less engaging than being able to get into the depths of a topic and building up knowledge about one thing.

However, unless your university sticks with this approach to history for the entire year/degree, then it does get better! Once you start studying a specific topic (especially if you have chosen it!), then the work becomes so much more interesting. And although there will always be a lot of reading, if you enjoy the topic, then you'll probably find yourself enjoying the reading. Or even if you still don't find it as engaging as you would like, being able to build up the knowledge base is far, far more rewarding and acts as an encouragement to keep going.

Perhaps try thinking about this time as a chance to explore lots of different areas of history so you can figure out what periods most interest you! Try and get stuck into the reading as much as you can but, equally, don't beat yourself up if you're not finding it very interesting. Some academic writing is very hard to read, made even harder if you're not that interested in the subject. Just try your best and keep going with it!

For the meantime, I would suggest seeing if any course mates would be interested in a joint study session, as then you can do the reading with other people which tends to make it go quicker and be more enjoyable! The amount of reading (and how much of the content is effectively self-taught) is an adjustment to get used to when starting university, so be gentle with yourself and just do your best. In time, you will get more used to and comfortable with this teaching format, especially when you start to look at topics in more depth.

If you have any other questions, please let me know! And very good luck! :smile:
Amie (a third year University of Southampton Official Rep)
Original post by rosesarewhite

Hey, i am currently in my first year of history too and I feel completely overwhelmed and like I am drowning. The reading feels like alot and although i could choose my modules, i just dont find them very interesting and zone out allllll the time when i do my reading. Im really trying but i dont know if it is too early in the academic year to tell. The reading and assignsments being due in a couple of weeks are really stressing me out. I know its not meant to be easy and college was obviously different but it just feels like way too much at once. I hadnt even started university yet and the week before the lecturers were sending me 3 page readings and documentarys to watch for the first lectures/seminars. This is my second time trying university, last year i dropped out of journalism at another uni so I dont really have any choice to do anything else or move unis etc. this year is way too intense already. I cant tell if anyone else is struggling too but i just dont feel motivated to do the work. Questionning why I was interested in history at all ://
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
I think the nature of History at uni is always lots of reading. It’s different to school or college where you might have just one or two textbooks and read a page or two about something. Being able to read lots and fast and synthesise lots of i do is what it’s about. Given you might only have 6-8 contact hours a week you have to read and read and read.

I get that some of the early modules might be a bit general and rather dull. That should change a bit, but the need to read and read wont change. You might get better at skimming and sporri g what’s most relevant and using indexes etc to find relevant info.

Maybe give it a bit longer and see if you adjust to the reading. If not, I’d say it’s really not thr subject for you.

But I’d also bear in mind that most humanities and social sciences do t have lots of contact hours and require lots of reading.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending