The Student Room Group

A levels for accounting

Hey, guys what do you think are the most suited subjects to take for Accounting and Finance at Uni?
Oh God :frown:. Anything but not Accounting for a degree, you must be kidding me mate.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6440002
Original post by Anonymous370
Oh God :frown:. Anything but not Accounting for a degree, you must be kidding me mate.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6440002

anyother degree similar thats better? lol
Original post by pk101
anyother degree similar thats better? lol

People from literally all sorts of backgrounds come into Accounting these days mate. You could even do zoology if you fancy :tongue::wink::biggrin: and then become an Accountant...

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Hey, I originally applied for accounting and finance but got a place for an economics degree, for first-year uni, I have an accounting module, finance module, and of course, economics modules. In terms of alevels, I did maths, business, and chemistry. Maths is really coming into handy especially as I have a pure maths module where we do cover alevel topics (differentation, integration, stats) so just knowing the content makes it so much easier and you have to revise less than someone who didn't pick alevel maths. My business alevel defo links more to econ but again, some aspects are coming in use for me, like we covered some financial statements in alevel business soo its really helping me nowwww. (even knowing words like assets, non-current assets, liabilities, makes a big difference). BUT for alevels I would defo recommend picking something you enjoy! This is the only way you will feel motivated to revise for it (i picked chem without having an interest for it and failed badly)
(edited 4 years ago)
These ppl are a bit harsh against accounting at uni. If you do A&F at a top uni, you can go into high finance and don’t have to become an accountant. If you actually want to become an accountant tho, uni is probably not the most efficient way to get there. Maths, FM, business, econ and accounting are probably the most related but most courses don’t require any in particular. Go on uni websites and see what subjects they ask for.
(edited 3 years ago)
Try a course in international finance and accounting. You get exposed to global accounting languages and information!
Reply 7
Original post by Varunjain
Try a course in international finance and accounting. You get exposed to global accounting languages and information!

What on earth does that mean? What is a global accounting langauage?
Reply 8
Original post by pk101
Hey, guys what do you think are the most suited subjects to take for Accounting and Finance at Uni?

Hey, what subjects do you like and what are you good at. For accounting careers good A levels are often important (even when you have a degree) so doing well matters. There is some advantage in taking maths, other than that it doesn't really matter. I think I would make sure that at least 2 of 3 A levels look 'sensible' and 'traditional' - so maths, history and music/ art would be fine, as would all sciences, or maths, business and geography.

It is important that you do things that you like and can do well in.
Well if your school offers A level accounting then take that and maybe A level business.

If you don’t do A levels then do a btec in business and finance.
Original post by Anon462654
Well if your school offers A level accounting then take that and maybe A level business.

If you don’t do A levels then do a btec in business and finance.

I think we need to know the OPs grades and ambitions before giving such advice. Some universities do not like to see A level accounting and business together. A lot of accounting firms and other jobs select on A levels. It can be unwise to do BTECs if you are capable of good grades at A level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending