The Student Room Group

A level oppions Vs future jobs

I’m planning on doing biology economics and psychology for a level because my school wouldn’t allow me to do a level maths . Do u still think with these 3 a level I can do accounting or business management
Original post by ife08
I’m planning on doing biology economics and psychology for a level because my school wouldn’t allow me to do a level maths . Do u still think with these 3 a level I can do accounting or business management

Accounting and business management degrees don't require you to have specific A Level subjects i.e. you can do any random A Level subjects and still get in if your grades are high enough.

There are only specific universities that would require A Level maths for accounting and finance degrees, and these degrees tend to have difficult finance modules that involves a lot of financial mathematics (e.g. matrices, calculus, series).
If your ideal degree course requires you to have A Level Maths, you can do it as a private candidate either during your A Levels (not always recommended) or during a gap year. If this interests you, let me know.

Having said the above, I am not an advocate for business and accounting degrees unless you intend to go into research. If you intend to work in industry, they don't really give you any advantage when it comes to job applications; you will be treated the same as any other graduate.

If you do want to go into accounting, I would recommend doing the ACA qualification unless you intend to work in multiple countries (then chances are ACCA is your preferred choice for financial accounting or CIMA for strictly management accounting roles).
If you want to go into specific fields in business (e.g. marketing, HR), then you're better off getting the specific professional qualification for those areas, even though it's not strictly necessary to have any qualifications to go into these areas.

Quick Reply

Latest