The Student Room Group

accounting and finance

I want to study accounting and finance but I don't do accounting at a levels. I study maths , chemistry and biology. Theres nothing good to do in biology or chemistry and I have done a weeks worth of placement and didn't like anything related to labs. So now Im thinking of accounting as pay is also good. But i need opinions from university students is it worth doing? How hard is it?
Original post by ashhhhhyyyyyyyyy
I want to study accounting and finance but I don't do accounting at a levels. I study maths , chemistry and biology. Theres nothing good to do in biology or chemistry and I have done a weeks worth of placement and didn't like anything related to labs. So now Im thinking of accounting as pay is also good. But i need opinions from university students is it worth doing? How hard is it?

You don't need accounting at A Levels in order to do the degree. Maths is a required subject only if you do the more quantitative accounting and finance degrees i.e. those with some difficult maths in the finance modules.

I wouldn't go into accounting for the pay; I would focus more on the job i.e. whether you like bookkeeping and putting accounts together/putting together financial/accounting reports for the directors. If you don't, then you're not going to want to go into it.

I have done the degree, but I wouldn't say I would do a degree in accounting again given the chance. This is because you can get into accounting with just A Levels and you don't need the degree. In fact if you study it outside of uni, you can qualify as an accountant in 3 years (assuming you pass all of your exams the first time round), fully funded by your employer (as opposed to taking out student loans to study it), and study for material that's far more relevant to the actual job than the degree would provide. If you study for the degree, the most you can get out of it is up to 9 exemptions towards a professional accounting qualification where you would need to study for 4-5 more papers (depending on the qualification). In the UK, you would need the full professional accounting qualification in order to be an accountant; you can't do it with a degree (you can in the UAE).

Is it difficult? If you have done A Level maths, most of the maths is straightfoward i.e. you won't be asked to do calculus any time soon. The most you would be asked to do is linear programming, a bit of logarithm, and mostly stats.
In terms of level of difficulty, the level of study is similar to that of A Levels more than anything else. If you can score high grades in A Level, you should be fine with the degree and the professional accounting qualification.

In terms of employability, you can get into an accounting grad scheme with a degree in any subject; employers would be looking at your A Level grades (not the subjects though) as well as your grades for your degree. The general pass marks for the professional qualification tends to be either 50% or 60% i.e. you generally need to score high to pass. However, having a degree alone won't make you employable - employers care more about your personality and skills more than how many exemptions you have; if you're not the right fit, it won't matter if you're a straight A student with all the right degrees and grades, you won't be invited for an interview.
If you wanted to, you could easily get into accounting right after your A Levels. The professional accounting qualifications would at most require you to have passed your A Level exams. Whether your employer would allow you to go straight into a professional qualificaiton is another matter.
Original post by MindMax2000
You don't need accounting at A Levels in order to do the degree. Maths is a required subject only if you do the more quantitative accounting and finance degrees i.e. those with some difficult maths in the finance modules.

I wouldn't go into accounting for the pay; I would focus more on the job i.e. whether you like bookkeeping and putting accounts together/putting together financial/accounting reports for the directors. If you don't, then you're not going to want to go into it.

I have done the degree, but I wouldn't say I would do a degree in accounting again given the chance. This is because you can get into accounting with just A Levels and you don't need the degree. In fact if you study it outside of uni, you can qualify as an accountant in 3 years (assuming you pass all of your exams the first time round), fully funded by your employer (as opposed to taking out student loans to study it), and study for material that's far more relevant to the actual job than the degree would provide. If you study for the degree, the most you can get out of it is up to 9 exemptions towards a professional accounting qualification where you would need to study for 4-5 more papers (depending on the qualification). In the UK, you would need the full professional accounting qualification in order to be an accountant; you can't do it with a degree (you can in the UAE).

Is it difficult? If you have done A Level maths, most of the maths is straightfoward i.e. you won't be asked to do calculus any time soon. The most you would be asked to do is linear programming, a bit of logarithm, and mostly stats.
In terms of level of difficulty, the level of study is similar to that of A Levels more than anything else. If you can score high grades in A Level, you should be fine with the degree and the professional accounting qualification.

In terms of employability, you can get into an accounting grad scheme with a degree in any subject; employers would be looking at your A Level grades (not the subjects though) as well as your grades for your degree. The general pass marks for the professional qualification tends to be either 50% or 60% i.e. you generally need to score high to pass. However, having a degree alone won't make you employable - employers care more about your personality and skills more than how many exemptions you have; if you're not the right fit, it won't matter if you're a straight A student with all the right degrees and grades, you won't be invited for an interview.
If you wanted to, you could easily get into accounting right after your A Levels. The professional accounting qualifications would at most require you to have passed your A Level exams. Whether your employer would allow you to go straight into a professional qualificaiton is another matter.

Hi thank you so much for your reply. I did look into accounting a level questions in like text books and like whats covered and I found it quite easy. Is there any book you would recommend reading for accounting?
Original post by ashhhhhyyyyyyyyy
Hi thank you so much for your reply. I did look into accounting a level questions in like text books and like whats covered and I found it quite easy. Is there any book you would recommend reading for accounting?

If you're asking for university level textbooks, then I would recommend looking through some of the following for an idea of the material at uni:

Accounting and finance degrees tend to have varying options, and without knowing what sort of modules you want to do, it's difficult to recommend any specific textbooks.

Accounting is also one of those subjects where it's rather prescriptive i.e. you're essentially told what to do as opposed to having a discussion about it (e.g. it's not maths, physics, economics, history where the actual answer is up for debate). So, I don't have any specific recommendations for extra reading.

Having said that, if you google something along the lines of "recommended reading university accounting", you can sometimes find pages like the following:
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/som/schools-engagement/accounting-and-finance-guide/accounting-and-finance-reading-list/#books=is-expanded
https://www.durham.ac.uk/business/programmes/masters/masters-hub/programme-information-/accounting-/pre-reading/

For finance though, you usually get a plethora of recommended reading that you can dig into. e.g.
https://www.lse.ac.uk/finance/study/offer-holders/finance-offer-holder-webpages/msc-finance-full-time/indicative-reading
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1760583
https://www.investopedia.com/best-finance-books-5093331

One of my favourites for finance would include: A Random Walk down Wall Street by Malkiel. Irrational Exuberance by Shiller, The Intelligent Investor by Graham, Liar's Poker by Lewis (for fun), When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management by Lowenstein, Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets by Taleb, The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Taleb, Barbarians at the Gate: The Fall of RJR Nabisco by Burrough, Lords of Finance: The Bankers Who Broke the World by Ahamed,
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending