The Student Room Group

Any doctor on TSR

Please comment down below if you are and could you please help me with this question

A 30 year old female arrives in the Emergency Department following a stab wound, and is losing a lot of blood. What physiological changes to blood pressure might you expect to occur as a result of this haemorrhage? What else might you consider with this particular patient?
Original post by ISHxxxx
Please comment down below if you are and could you please help me with this question

A 30 year old female arrives in the Emergency Department following a stab wound, and is losing a lot of blood. What physiological changes to blood pressure might you expect to occur as a result of this haemorrhage? What else might you consider with this particular patient?

You'd get better responses in biology, biochemistry and other life sciences study help. @CheeseIsVeg - would you mind moving this out of chat? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
You'd get better responses in biology, biochemistry and other life sciences study help. @CheeseIsVeg - would you mind moving this out of chat? Thanks :smile:

Done this :smile:
Thanks for letting me know! :bump:
Have a fab day,
Cheese
Original post by ISHxxxx

See above! :ahee:
Original post by ISHxxxx

Well if someone's losing a massive amount of blood, what's going to happen to their blood pressure?

And what are your thoughts on what else you'd consider for this patient? It's quite an open ended question so there's a lot of stuff you can say
she might be expecting a baby ?

:dontknow:
Reply 5
Original post by usycool1
Well if someone's losing a massive amount of blood, what's going to happen to their blood pressure?

And what are your thoughts on what else you'd consider for this patient? It's quite an open ended question so there's a lot of stuff you can say

For one of my paragraph I am talking about negative feedback loop and the role of baroreceptors and the baroreflex
I’m also going to be talking about the sympathetic system. But I’m finding it hard to find it’s role in regulating blood pressure I was wondering if you could help me with this part, could you just list some stages or something please
also you have to think whether the stab wound could have been self inflicted...
Original post by ISHxxxx
For one of my paragraph I am talking about negative feedback loop and the role of baroreceptors and the baroreflex
I’m also going to be talking about the sympathetic system. But I’m finding it hard to find it’s role in regulating blood pressure I was wondering if you could help me with this part, could you just list some stages or something please

Very good :smile:

I don't know what level you're at or for what level you're writing for, but the baroreceptor response is linked to the sympathetic nervous system response. Essentially, with less stimulation of the barorceptors due to a lower circulating blood volume, there is less inhibition of the sympathetic nervous system (i.e. so it becomes more active). What sorts of things does the sympathetic nervous system do with the circulatory system? That might help you understand how that can compensate for a lower blood pressure.

I'd also suggest talking about the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system as well if you've come across that. This has quite a big role to play in haemorrhage, and is a key reason as to why we can lose up to around 25-30% of our blood before going into shock.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8

I don't know what level you're at or for what level you're writing for, but the baroreceptor response is linked to the sympathetic nervous system response. Essentially, with less stimulation of the barorceptors due to a lower circulating blood volume, there is less inhibition of the sympathetic nervous system (i.e. so it becomes more active). What sorts of things does the sympathetic nervous system do with the circulatory system? That might help you understand how that can compensate for a lower blood pressure.

I'd also suggest talking about the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system as well if you've come across that. This has quite a big role to play in haemorrhage, and is a key reason as to why we can lose up to around 25-30% of our blood before going into shock.

Hey thanks for the suggestion I will definitely look into it

I was wondering if you know the role of cardiopulmonary baroreceptors to control blood pressure
Reply 9

Hey I was wondering if I could send you my essay so you could proof read
Original post by ISHxxxx
Hey I was wondering if I could send you my essay so you could proof read

Sure, drop it to me by PM :smile:
Reply 11
Sure, drop it to me by PM :smile:

Hey can you PM me your email if your comfortable because it’s much easier

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending