The Student Room Group

What mental health/personality disorder is this?

When someone is for example really affectionate and loving one day, and then the next day they are suddenly cold and distant for no reason. Like their personality and feelings aren't consistent and they change all the time. They don't identify as another gender or any other person, they still identify as themselves but the way they feel and treat people is not consistent and they change randomly. What mental health disorder or personality disorder is this? What's the name of it?
Reply 1
what makes you think this is a disorder?
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
what makes you think this is a disorder?

This person told me that they think they have a mental disorder and told me these symptoms but they don't know what disorder they may have, so was wondering if anyone here would be able to help
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
This person told me that they think they have a mental disorder and told me these symptoms but they don't know what disorder they may have, so was wondering if anyone here would be able to help

The person best placed to diagnose and help would be this person's doctor
When someone is for example really affectionate and loving one day, and then the next day they are suddenly cold and distant for no reason. Like their personality and feelings aren't consistent and they change all the time. They don't identify as another gender or any other person, they still identify as themselves but the way they feel and treat people is not consistent and they change randomly. What mental health disorder or personality disorder is this? What's the name of it?

Only a qualified person from the medical field (often psychiatrist, etc.) are able to make an diagnosis. So it is impossible from the internet to make any diagnosis and also guesses, as they are so many things which can influence mood, the way we connect to other people, etc.
No one online can really diagnose someone so you should encourage the person to seek further guidance from a doctor, mental health service etc,
borderline personality disorder
Reply 7
Original post by black tea
The person best placed to diagnose and help would be this person's doctor

They don't want to go to a doctor because they're worried that they will get a diagnosis which might impact their future job applications for certain jobs i.e. they won't pass the medical assessment due to the diagnosis. For example, you can't be in the army or become a pilot if you have a diagnosis of schizophrenia etc
Reply 8
Original post by jemima0103
No one online can really diagnose someone so you should encourage the person to seek further guidance from a doctor, mental health service etc,

They don't want to go to a doctor because they're worried that they will get a diagnosis which might impact their future job applications for certain jobs i.e. they won't pass the medical assessment due to the diagnosis. For example, you can't be in the army or become a pilot if you have a diagnosis of schizophrenia etc
Reply 9

Then they have to accept they will not get a diagnosis

Could well be ADHD or ADD. Gets overwhelmed quickly and 'switches off' so can appear cold or distant. Are they v social.then suddenly need their own space?
Reply 11
Original post by SmartieGirl
Could well be ADHD or ADD. Gets overwhelmed quickly and 'switches off' so can appear cold or distant. Are they v social.then suddenly need their own space?

No as far as I know, they hate being by themselves. They're always trying to meet up with other people every single day and go drinking all day etc
Reply 12

I don't like to use the word disorder. Human behaviour and emotion is so complex, and we are all different. It could be that the person has experienced inconsistent attachments in their life (e.g., from carers, family, friends, romantic interests etc.), perhaps in childhood. This can impact a great deal on how we form attachments with others. That's not to say it is a disorder, though. We all have different attachment styles, some more secure and stable than others. If it is causing them problems in their day-to-day living, though, they could seek support from their GP, such as a referral for counselling or talking therapies.
(some) People seem to want to make everything a disorder or mental health condition these days (as in assume that they have a MH condition whenever they act a certain way).

I personally call it being normal (as in it’s normal to be frustrated on some days and in a good mood/affectionate on others, it’s normal to treat different people differently/inconsistently, randomly change mood sometimes etc). But yeah as others said people on TSR can’t diagnose better to see a medical professional.
But yeah if they have symptoms then seeing a doctor is better.

Quick Reply

Latest