The Student Room Group

Importance of A level results for postgraduate study

Hi, I'm just wondering how important A level results would be for applying to do either a masters or PHD. Hypothetically speaking, if I were to do quite badly in my A levels, then get into a low ranked uni and get a first or a 2:1, would my A levels hinder me for getting on to a good post grad course, or would it be the fact that my degree would be from a low ranked uni maybe?
Your A level grades are totally irrelevant for postgrad applications.

If you look at entry requirements for a Taught Masters you will see that what is required is a relevant degree 'at 2.1 or a First' - and a very strong personal statement.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
Your A level grades are totally irrelevant for postgrad applications.

If you look at entry requirements for a Taught Masters you will see that what is required is a relevant degree 'at 2.1 or a First' - and a very strong personal statement.

Agree with this, take my experience as a case study:

A Levels: CDcc (yes two a levels)
Degree: First Class (UwTSD)
MPhil: currently studying (Bristol)
DPhil: offer received (Oxford)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I've never seen a postgrad application form that even asks for A-level results.
Original post by sj27

It's up to you if you want to put them on your academic cv. I'm sure if they really want to find them out, they won't need you to tell them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
My A level results are even worse than vandergraaff's and I also did a master's degree at Bristol and received offers for doctoral study.
I would say that generally postgraduate courses don't pay huge attention to A-levels.

Saying that, there are a few postgraduate routes where they are taken into consideration. For example, in graduate entry to medicine they often have stipulations about A levels. Also for courses like the doctorate in Clinical Psychology, your transcripts will supply your A levels and they are often taken into consideration there along with other aspects of your application. It will depend on what you will want to move towards when you graduate. Also I am not sure what the situation for law is exactly, but some firms do look at these too.
Reply 7
Original post by vandergraaff
It's up to you if you want to put them on your academic cv. I'm sure if they really want to find them out, they won't need you to tell them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but the fact that forms only ask for your previous degree, not high school, results tells you the latter is unimportant in admissions decisions ( save exception noted by another poster). And I didn't have to supply an academic CV for my application.
Original post by sj27
Yes but the fact that forms only ask for your previous degree, not high school, results tells you the latter is unimportant in admissions decisions ( save exception noted by another poster). And I didn't have to supply an academic CV for my application.

I'm not offering contrary points to yours in any way. They probably aren't important. I just assume that UK institutions have access to UK A Level results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by sj27

Two forms I filled out asked for A level results. I don't believe them to be important however.
(edited 11 years ago)
mine were very poor but I've still found myself doing a phd in the end. I don't see why they would be important anyway given that the depth of material at A-level is far below what you will have covered as an undergraduate.
Reply 11
Original post by Nichrome
Two forms I filled out asked for A level results. I don't believe them to be important however.

Really? Which unis, out of interest? You're applying for PhDs right?
Reply 12
Original post by sj27

Yeah that's right. It was Imperial and a special pre-app form for a Cambridge/UCL course. They were both for 1+3 DTC courses if that makes a difference.
Original post by sj27

I had to for my London studentship (and think King's wanted them when I applied there too)
Reply 14
Original post by Nichrome
Yeah that's right. It was Imperial and a special pre-app form for a Cambridge/UCL course. They were both for 1+3 DTC courses if that makes a difference.

Interesting - the usual Cambridge form just asks for uni education.

So the answer to the OP then is usually no, but dependent on course you may need to give them. I find it strange that at doctoral level they still care about A-levels, but then I'm not an admissions officer :dontknow:
Reply 15
Original post by sj27
Interesting - the usual Cambridge form just asks for uni education.

So the answer to the OP then is usually no, but dependent on course you may need to give them. I find it strange that at doctoral level they still care about A-levels, but then I'm not an admissions officer :dontknow:

It does seem to vary. When I enrolled on my Masters, I was just required to present my degree certificate and transcript. When I enrolled on my MPhil/PhD, I had to present A Level certs, undergrad degree cert/transcript and my Masters cert.
Reply 16
Original post by psychedelicious
Bonkers. Seeing as, if I were to do a Ph.D it would have no relation to my A-levels at all I wonder how relevant it would be. Why would History Ph.D admissions care about A-levels in Maths etc?

It did seem pretty loopy. I suppose it's one way of gauging whether folks are telling porkies on the application, but it's probably a bit late by the time you reach enrollment.
Original post by Klix88
It does seem to vary. When I enrolled on my Masters, I was just required to present my degree certificate and transcript. When I enrolled on my MPhil/PhD, I had to present A Level certs, undergrad degree cert/transcript and my Masters cert.

What is transcript

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending