The Student Room Group

Testing For Convergence Notation

I was wondering that if I was testing for the convergence of the integral, x=abf(x)dx\int _{x=a}^b\:f\left(x\right)dx and the problem point was that the integrand was undefined at x = a.

Then, after the Taylor series, I saw that f(x)g(x)f(x) \geq g(x) near x = a.

So, I can roughly say that f(x)g(x)f(x) \sim g(x) as xa+x \rightarrow a+.

Would this notation then be correct:

x=abf(x)dxx=abg(x)dx\int _{x=a}^b\:f\left(x\right)\:dx\: \sim \:\int _{x=a}^b\:g\left(x\right)\:dx as xa+x \rightarrow a+ and so if the integral x=abg(x)dx\:\int _{x=a}^b\:g\left(x\right)\:dx converges or diverges, then so does x=abf(x)dx\:\int _{x=a}^b\:f\left(x\right)\:dx?

Thank you!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Takeover Season
I was wondering that if I was testing for the convergence of the integral, x=abf(x)dx\int _{x=a}^b\:f\left(x\right)dx and the problem point was that the integrand was undefined at x = a.

Then, after the Taylor series, I saw that f(x)g(x)f(x) \geq g(x) near x = a.

So, I can roughly say that f(x)g(x)f(x) \sim g(x) as xa+x \rightarrow a+.

Would this notation then be correct:

x=abf(x)dxx=abg(x)dx\int _{x=a}^b\:f\left(x\right)\:dx\: \sim \:\int _{x=a}^b\:g\left(x\right)\:dx as xa+x \rightarrow a+ and so if the integral x=abg(x)dx\:\int _{x=a}^b\:g\left(x\right)\:dx converges or diverges, then so does x=abf(x)dx\:\int _{x=a}^b\:f\left(x\right)\:dx?

Thank you!

Not necessarily.

For that, you would require f(x)g(x)f(x) \sim g(x) over the entire interval (a,b)(a,b) and not *just* asymptotically as xa+x \to a_+.
Original post by RDKGames
Not necessarily.

For that, you would require f(x)g(x)f(x) \sim g(x) over the entire interval (a,b)(a,b) and not *just* in asymptotically as xa+x \to a_+.

Oh, so would I just say that as f(x) behaves like g(x) near x = a+, then the convergence/divergence of the integral of f(x) is the same as the integral of g(x) and then use the Limit Comparison Test? I was just wondering so I am writing it correctly

Also, just wondering for the Direct Comparison Test, we usually say if f(x)g(x)f(x) \leq g(x) or f(x)g(x)f(x) \geq g(x). Does it still apply if we have a strict inequality?
Oh, so would I just say that as f(x) behaves like g(x) near x = a+, then the convergence/divergence of the integral of f(x) is the same as the integral of g(x) and then use the Limit Comparison Test? I was just wondering so I am writing it correctly

The idea is that as xa+x \to a_+, then at some point (let's call it a+ϵa + \epsilon) f(x)f(x) will be very well approximated by g(x)g(x).

Thus, the integral can be split as

abf(x)dx=aa+ϵf(x)dx+a+ϵbf(x)dx\displaystyle \int_a^b f(x) dx = \int_a^{a+ \epsilon} f(x) dx + \int_{a+ \epsilon}^b f(x) dx

where the second integral converges (hopefully this is obvious), and the divergence/convergence of the first integral is obtained by comparing it with

aa+ϵg(x)dx\displaystyle \int_a^{a+ \epsilon} g(x) dx

since over the region (a,a+ϵ)(a,a+\epsilon) we have f(x)g(x)f(x) \sim g(x) hence aa+ϵf(x)dxaa+ϵg(x)dx\displaystyle \int_a^{a+ \epsilon} f(x) dx \sim \int_a^{a+ \epsilon} g(x) dx

Also, just wondering for the Direct Comparison Test, we usually say if f(x)g(x)f(x) \leq g(x) or f(x)g(x)f(x) \geq g(x). Does it still apply if we have a strict inequality?

What do you reckon? :smile:

How often do you end up with the equality case when comparing things?
The idea is that as xa+x \to a_+, then at some point (let's call it a+ϵa + \epsilon) f(x)f(x) will be very well approximated by g(x)g(x).

Thus, the integral can be split as

abf(x)dx=aa+ϵf(x)dx+a+ϵbf(x)dx\displaystyle \int_a^b f(x) dx = \int_a^{a+ \epsilon} f(x) dx + \int_{a+ \epsilon}^b f(x) dx

where the second integral converges (hopefully this is obvious), and the divergence/convergence of the first integral is obtained by comparing it with

aa+ϵg(x)dx\displaystyle \int_a^{a+ \epsilon} g(x) dx

since over the region (a,a+ϵ)(a,a+\epsilon) we have f(x)g(x)f(x) \sim g(x) hence aa+ϵf(x)dxaa+ϵg(x)dx\displaystyle \int_a^{a+ \epsilon} f(x) dx \sim \int_a^{a+ \epsilon} g(x) dx

What do you reckon? :smile:

How often do you end up with the equality case when comparing things?

Oh right, now I understand. Thank you so much, that makes a lot of sense! So, we assume epsilon > zero and very small right, to show a + epsilon is close to a?
Yes, I think if we have a strict inequality, it holds even more and so must be correct.
Oh right, now I understand. Thank you so much, that makes a lot of sense! So, we assume epsilon > zero and very small right, to show a + epsilon is close to a?
Yes, I think if we have a strict inequality, it holds even more and so must be correct.

Yep.
Yep.

Thanks so much! Really appreciate all the help always!

Quick Reply

Latest