The Student Room Group

Edexcel or AQA Maths A Level

I am 90% sure the content in both of these is the same, but I'm more interested in the other difference such as:

- Multiple choice being in AQA
- Paper 1 and 2 being pure whilst paper 3 is mechanics and stats for Edexcel, whilst AQA has pure in all three papers, with paper 2 having mechanics and paper 3 having stats.

Which of these exam structures and styles is better?
Reply 1
I did AQA so cannot really comment on Edexcel but AQA seems fine to me.
Yeah with AQA and Edexcel, the content is the same. In fact, i read on a website that with this current maths syllabus, all exam boards are required to teach the same content (something which has never been a requirement in the past). Obviously, this excludes OCR MEI since that spec was designed in with MEI.

I do Edexcel and in terms of assessment structure, it is clear what content each paper tests since for AS there is one paper testing pure mathematics and paper 2 testing the applied maths (stats and mech).

For the A-level it is 2 papers on pure mathematics and the third being on stats and mech.

For AQA, i am yet to try out any of the AS papers so i dont really have an opinion on what the style of assessment is like....
Original post by CurryCurry2468
Yeah with AQA and Edexcel, the content is the same. In fact, i read on a website that with this current maths syllabus, all exam boards are required to teach the same content (something which has never been a requirement in the past). Obviously, this excludes OCR MEI since that spec was designed in with MEI.

I do Edexcel and in terms of assessment structure, it is clear what content each paper tests since for AS there is one paper testing pure mathematics and paper 2 testing the applied maths (stats and mech).

For the A-level it is 2 papers on pure mathematics and the third being on stats and mech.

For AQA, i am yet to try out any of the AS papers so i dont really have an opinion on what the style of assessment is like....

I don’t think they are completely the same. Stats is very different dependant on which exam board you pick. That said, they’re all the same difficulty as grade boundaries are adjusted to performance so it still doesn’t really matter
Original post by JGoosey2002
I don’t think they are completely the same. Stats is very different dependant on which exam board you pick. That said, they’re all the same difficulty as grade boundaries are adjusted to performance so it still doesn’t really matter

Yes, the content is broadly the same.....

Quick Reply

Latest