The Student Room Group

Advice on choosing a Uni course?

English Literature is probably my best and favourite subject by a considerable margin (9 at GCSE) and I would like to study it at university, maybe even at Oxford. But I'm worried about what I'll be able to do with it once I've graduated; I don't have a clear idea of a career I want to go into. However, I'm also fairly good at Spanish (8 at GCSE) and although I find this A-Level course considerably more difficult, I quite like learning the language and feel it would be a shame to give it up completely. I also feel like this would give me better career prospects after Uni. What should I do?
I have considered dual honours, but the workload will be considerably higher, the course could potentially be more limiting and the combination of English Literature and Spanish is scarcer than I expected. Also, as I mentioned, I was considering applying to Oxford, and I have no confidence in my ability to pass their interview for Spanish, and things I've read say they're incredibly over-subscribed for dual honours, and colleges have no set quotas; they may not actually have taught it for years. Help!
English Lit is versatile and "respected" enough to take you into plenty of different career opportunities. You don't have to have it figured out now, don't worry! :nah: The most important thing is to pick a degree subject you'd enjoy, then choose the university based on whether their particular course offers you the kind of optional papers you'd be interested in :yes: Then once you're at uni, make sure you're developing a rounded CV. Even if you're at a "top uni", it's important to have stuff to write about in job applications. Academics alone won't cut it, so you'll want things like part-time work (if it's not Oxbridge), internships/placements, volunteering, and positions of responsibility within extra-curricular activities. These will give you experiences and opportunities to demonstrate all the transferable skills that employers look for :yep:

Have you looked at the course content and structure of the English course at Oxford? If not, do take a look and see what you think of it and whether it suits your interests :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
English Lit is versatile and "respected" enough to take you into plenty of different career opportunities. You don't have to have it figured out now, don't worry! :nah: The most important thing is to pick a degree subject you'd enjoy, then choose the university based on whether their particular course offers you the kind of optional papers you'd be interested in :yes: Then once you're at uni, make sure you're developing a rounded CV. Even if you're at a "top uni", it's important to have stuff to write about in job applications. Academics alone won't cut it, so you'll want things like part-time work (if it's not Oxbridge), internships/placements, volunteering, and positions of responsibility within extra-curricular activities. These will give you experiences and opportunities to demonstrate all the transferable skills that employers look for :yep:

Have you looked at the course content and structure of the English course at Oxford? If not, do take a look and see what you think of it and whether it suits your interests :smile:

Thank you for the advice! I like the look of Oxford's English course; the variety is appealing.
I suggest making a pros and cons list and looking at all the unis that do the courses you mentioned, go to a online open day (i know its not ideal at the moment but sometimes its better than nothing). Talk to people that go to these universities and courses.

Just think you will be doing it for the next 3-4 years so pick one you most enjoy and are most interested in. It sounds like you like them both however so try to separate them and pick out what specifically you like about them.

Hope this helps and good luck in the future!
Original post by a.frh
English Literature is probably my best and favourite subject by a considerable margin (9 at GCSE) and I would like to study it at university, maybe even at Oxford. But I'm worried about what I'll be able to do with it once I've graduated; I don't have a clear idea of a career I want to go into. However, I'm also fairly good at Spanish (8 at GCSE) and although I find this A-Level course considerably more difficult, I quite like learning the language and feel it would be a shame to give it up completely. I also feel like this would give me better career prospects after Uni. What should I do?
I have considered dual honours, but the workload will be considerably higher, the course could potentially be more limiting and the combination of English Literature and Spanish is scarcer than I expected. Also, as I mentioned, I was considering applying to Oxford, and I have no confidence in my ability to pass their interview for Spanish, and things I've read say they're incredibly over-subscribed for dual honours, and colleges have no set quotas; they may not actually have taught it for years. Help!

It's fine if you want to just take English sole, and English at Oxford is a very well respected degree. Plus you can write for the Cherwell, the Oxford student newspaper (my son did, plus illustrious writers like Evelyn Waugh)

https://cherwell.org/

Here is a chapter from my book, Oxford Demystified, written by an Oxford offer holder.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=88625338&highlight=Oxford%20Demystified%20-%20English

Hope this helps. I would try to read as much literature as you can. However after you have stopped reading, reflect on what you have read. Think about characterisation, style, structure etc. I would get a book on poetry appreciation, as you may get a poem to analyse at interview. (My son was interviewed for German and had to answer questions about an English poem and a German poem).

Graduates can go into all sorts of fields on graduating. As well as writing and journalism, you could go into law, accountancy, consultancy, all kinds of things!.

Here are some classic novels you could read:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/aug/17/the-100-best-novels-written-in-english-the-full-list

Poetry:

https://lithub.com/the-32-most-iconic-poems-in-the-english-language/
Reply 5
Original post by Oxford Mum
It's fine if you want to just take English sole, and English at Oxford is a very well respected degree. Plus you can write for the Cherwell, the Oxford student newspaper (my son did, plus illustrious writers like Evelyn Waugh)

https://cherwell.org/

Here is a chapter from my book, Oxford Demystified, written by an Oxford offer holder.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=88625338&highlight=Oxford%20Demystified%20-%20English

Hope this helps. I would try to read as much literature as you can. However after you have stopped reading, reflect on what you have read. Think about characterisation, style, structure etc. I would get a book on poetry appreciation, as you may get a poem to analyse at interview. (My son was interviewed for German and had to answer questions about an English poem and a German poem).

Graduates can go into all sorts of fields on graduating. As well as writing and journalism, you could go into law, accountancy, consultancy, all kinds of things!.

Here are some classic novels you could read:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/aug/17/the-100-best-novels-written-in-english-the-full-list

Poetry:

https://lithub.com/the-32-most-iconic-poems-in-the-english-language/

Thank you very much!
I don't think joint honours has a higher workload (at least not in theory) as you simply take half of each degree. It may be that at certain points in the year you have a higher workload than a single honours course, but also points when you have a significantly lower workload.

Likewise, it is a bit misleading to say that joint honours courses are oversubscribed. There are no quotas on numbers because in order to be successful you will have to be accepted by both the English and Modern Languages department. There is no specific application process for English and ML. As such, you may be offered a place to study only English or only Spanish if one part of your application was significantly more competitive than the other. So in theory, applying for joint honours is no more competitive than applying for either of the two subjects as a single honour.

It is true that many colleges would not have had a student doing English and Spanish for years, but I don't believe that would particularly affect your experience of Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending